Tool for hiding files and folders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjdd

Right off the assembly line
Please recommend a utility for hiding files and folders. Please don't tell me to Google for it because Google turns up a lot of results and it's hard to know which one fits my needs. My requirements are -

1. It should be freeware, downloadable and preferably small in size.

2. Very high level of security not needed. I just want to hide files from casual snooping. Encryption is out. I don't mind if hidden files and folders can be accessed from DOS.

3. It should be simple to install and uninstall or disable.

4. It should be stable and reliable. There must be no chance of permanently making my files inaccessible or otherwise making a mess of things.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
well just use the OS explorer Hiding....

My Computer >>>> Tools >>>> Folder Option >>>> View then click Dont show Hiden Files & folder >>>> OK

*img224.imageshack.us/img224/7363/013fa.th.jpg

Now right on the file or folder u want to hide.... Click Properties.... then check Hiden then OK....

*img224.imageshack.us/img224/4007/025yl.th.jpg

OP
P

pjdd

Right off the assembly line
No, nothing quite as crude or as easy to defeat as Windoze's hide feature. When I said that I don't need a high level of security, I mean that you'd have to be a geek to bypass the protection.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
dude, i use a software called Lock Folders XP. its not freeware tho. but of all the software i've tried (freeware/shareware) this was the best one! once you hide, explorer wont even show the space usage! good protection.

www.everstrike.com

alib_i

Cyborg Agent
this has been discussed n-number of times

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17812
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16560
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21495

please search

-----
alibi

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
humm guyess they r all folder locking software... but the original author asked 4 a way which will hide the folder... so here is few of them...

AB Hide Folder

Hide Folders XP 2.2

let us know if they work.... as i havent yet tried them....

saROMan

QA Juggler
Cryptainer LE <<--Freeware

Hide Folders™<<--Freeware

Advanced Hide Folders<<-- Not Free

Hide My Folders<<-- Not Free

Ashis

In the zone
Works at Windows Kernel Level

Hide Files & Folders
License: Freeware So said at Free Downloads Center
But Its a ShareWare

*img226.imageshack.us/img226/5152/hidefilesfolder6is.th.gif

Description:
Hide Files & Folders is a great easy-to-use password-protected security utility working at Windows kernel level you can use to password-protect certain files and folders, or to hide them securely from viewing and searching just with a click of mouse.

[I had some Compatiblity Problem]

manavmohanty

Broken In
which os u use???
in windows 98 there is a very nice way to block the folder...
suppose there is a folder named "india" in c:\
->go to command prompt -- to c:\,
->rename the folder to a character.-- how to do it.. right...(not just normal renaming)....

->choose a code(ur own code a number--e.g. 456)

-> in command promt type
ren india [pressing the alt key] 456

u must type 456 by pressing the alt key.
then press enter

your folder will be renamed to a character..
now if u open in 98 thenit will neither open, nor delete. u got to rememeber the code(456 or anything of ur choise)
that is because if u need to access it again then to got to rename it back from dos prompt..
-> ren [alt]456 india <--- that the command.

then gain u can access the folder..

the best way is that u make 2 batch file containg the rename command so that u need not type the command again and again..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom