To HT or to got 64...

Status
Not open for further replies.

rollcage

AMD user for 9 yrs!!
what i & mohit are sayin here is that for an agp the 754pin will suite u best, + you will get a good board for that confugeration. incase you wanna go for 939 then get pci-e(currently which i think is very much overpriced in india).
and
you better verify that price quoted by you are 754pin or 939pin
Processor:
A64 2800+ => Rs.5200
A64 3200+ => Rs.9600
A64 3400+ => Rs.11,750
i think u got the price of 754

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
939 for 3000 inchester might not offer better performance though check with xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu
90nano meter cpus amd 64 or ssomething

for gaming amd 3400 clawhammer sometimes was a bit ahead 3500 ,though 1-2fps hardly matter,actually do they even count even if they are 3-4.

if you don't require don't upgrade but if you have money

then do you wish to game or not?

preferably go for 939,but if you want to get gaming then you may need to go for 754 as your budget
754-asus k8n
if features are enuf,ask others of peroformance comapriosn
939-asus a8n-e,if features are fine ,if performance is fine etc

[flAsh]

In the zone
clawhammer has its own advantage.
when nice cooling is provided it overclocks better than newcastle or winchester.
MOreover A64 processors are not that bandwidth hungry and dedpendent as are Intel ones

mamba

In the zone
dont go 4 3400+ . its 754-pin 1 . main diffz between a 754 n a 939 pin r -

939 uses less power

doesnt heat up as much as the 754 1

754 aint got dual channel ddr support

939 , u get bout 5% performance increase

[flAsh]

In the zone
mamba said:
dont go 4 3400+ . its 754-pin 1 . main diffz between a 754 n a 939 pin r -

939 uses less power

doesnt heat up as much as the 754 1

754 aint got dual channel ddr support

939 , u get bout 5% performance increase

Most of the A64 processors hav their maximum Die temperature at 70C so I think S-754 and S-939 uses same amount of poWer approximately

Also a S-754 ClawHammer can defeat a Winchester of same rating in every Bench mark except 4 memory bandwidth

[flAsh]

In the zone
Also A64 processors are not that Bandwidth Hungry as are intel processors Mr MAMBA

U gave IIT nah?? got thru screening

mamba

In the zone
@[flash] , dude whatever i said is bout a month n half old ( still got DCE pending , n no i didnt clear IIT :( ) but do remember that the power usage is more 4 the 754z .

clawhammer does fine coz its got a 1mb L2 , memory bandwith is low due 2 the lack of dual channel support . but there aint much diff , no ??

btw , r u frm dps rkp ? askin coz my cousin was there n told me that only 1 of the 8-9 who had given interviewz 4 MIT had gone thru . just putting 1 n 1 2gether

[flAsh]

In the zone
no probs mamba hope u clear sumwhere else and get in engg. and i don't want to reveal my personal identity so just 4get it

OP
siriusb

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
Hi again.

First of all, sorry. I had to leave city for some time.

But the good news is, I am going to go with the socket939 3500+ processor. I am almost sure that a pcix vid card will cost me alotof mony. But only one way to find out.

I am going with socket939 because this way, I can just buy a dual core processor when it becomes cheap and not change the mobo.

Is there anything about 3500+ that I need to know?

OP
siriusb

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
for gaming amd 3400 clawhammer sometimes was a bit ahead 3500 ,though 1-2fps hardly matter,actually do they even count even if they are 3-4

I did go throught that benchmark at xbitlabs, but I am not sure though. The 3400+ seems to have heat problems, as stated by mamba, but it has 1mb l2 cache. But 3400+ has only a single channel ddr. But with 3500+, I will be ready for dual cores too. I am slightly dazed here.

OP
siriusb

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
XFX or Gainward

Ok, after a lot of discussions with my friends on their experiences, I have chosen the following parts:

Amd 64 3200+ (939pins) ==> Rs. 9700
2 x Hynix 512MB DDR400==> Rs. 3700 (1850*2)
Asus A8N e ==> Rs. 7650
XFX 6600GT (pci e) ==> Rs. 10,400

I have already bought the processor, mobo and the memory sticks. But I am unsure about the video card. I am faced with a choice between a XFX6600GT and a gainward 6600GT. As there is no current stock of gainward, the retailer didn't know the price or the model name for it yet.

Provided the price diff is small, what should I go for? XFX or Gainward?

mamba

In the zone
go 4 the gainwardz golden sample or GLH ( goes like hell ) variants

can also try out the leadtek 1z

OP
siriusb

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
Mamba - I did buy a Leadtek card, but it is a Winfast px6600gt tdh one. There was no stock of gainward anywhere in ritchie street. But the BIG company's card interested me as hell because of the copper fins on the memory as well. It was a tough choice.

After getting all the parts, I found out that my old chassis won't fit AND my old smps won't fit too. I have to go and buy a new case before I can witness the potential of my machine.

One more thing: My ram is a hynix hy5du56422bt-d43 but my mobo manual says that the supported ram from hynix is hy5du56822dt-d43.
Does this mean I have to change my ram sticks or is everything fine?

mamba

In the zone
frm what i searched both r supposed 2 b DDR 400 . me thinkz , both should work just fine . if u get ne issues after the usage , post then . ppl ( me including :D ) will help u out

Aniruddh

Ambassador of Buzz
Well go 4 AMD wid gud mobo may b asus or msi,rite now i m using MSI RS480M2 mobo wid 128 mb onboard graphic or u can c sum other as well but these dayz in most of da mobo u wont get onboard graphics so i think u shud opt 4 dis mobo.choice is urs.3000+ 64(939)+MSI RS480M2 will cost u sum where around 13-14k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom