Time for CD Writer shopping...

Status
Not open for further replies.

stephen

Right off the assembly line
Hi,

Recently my Sony CD Writer went kaput. I would like to know which is the best CD Writer available in market. I can't afford combo drives or DVD Writers for that matter so that is out of the question.

Please help.
TIA

Regards,
Stephen

[EDIT]If possible please mention the price and distributor in Delhi as well.
Thanx.[/EDIT]

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
Sony /liteon is the best (comparitively) . It might cost around rs. 1300.

Or check out liteon, even that one is ok.

OP
S

stephen

Right off the assembly line
Sonyyyyyyyyyy?
No Please...my first CD Writer Sony CRX 195E1 went dead with in 8 months. Then I got it replaced to a CRX 215E1 and now the new one went bad in another 6 months!!!
I have a very bad experience with Sony. Are lite-on drives similar to Sony?

quad master

In the zone
I have been using my Samsung 12X CD Writer since 4years still no
problems at all its working fine.

one of my friend is having the latest 52x + 8MB Buffer CD-Writer
since 1 years no problems with it

I recommend you a Samsung 52X + 8MB Buffer CD Writer

Dont know what others have to say about my choice they might have
different opinion but I am telling you about what i have seen myself

Decision is upto you

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
i dont recommend samsung . reasons ???

- Lousy service and warranty , even in a big city like chennai . They try to lure ur into going for paid service , givin some stupid reason for losing ur warranty
- drive tray problems is common , but really a head ache . most samsung users have their own "technique" on how to open the tray , ranging from tapping it 3 times , cooling the drive , massaging the sides or the tray and some even going in for praying for it to open . so unless u got lots of patience and good imagination to come up with new ways to open the tray , keep away .

- Last , just realised the name SAMSUNG is good . "SUNG" means "shell" in tamil . the ones they use during funerals and as slang when ur in deep deep trouble . So nameology wise dont go for it .

- What ever u get , check the specs on the box . Get max warranty , i think liteon gives 2 years . extra on cash means 2 years of peace . fill the warranty card and MAIL , serious . or register it online to save on warranty and to know if ur parts arent duplicate . Try getting drives "MADE IN " anywhere else but china . chinese make of even branded seem to have shorter life . u can check mostly by only opening the box , so ask the dealer

- just in case , check if ur SMPS is giving out good voltage , as even that might be the culprit and might ruin any drive u put in .

chetansota

Broken In
stephen said:
Hi,

Recently my Sony CD Writer went kaput. I would like to know which is the best CD Writer available in market. I can't afford combo drives or DVD Writers for that matter so that is out of the question.

Please help.
TIA

Regards,
Stephen

[EDIT]If possible please mention the price and distributor in Delhi as well.
Thanx.[/EDIT]

TRY ASUS CD WIRTER.Sony drive also do not give problems. ur is the first complain i have seen. TRY liteon also .

mamba

In the zone
get a liteon 4 app 1.3k
if u can add nother 1k , would defintaely recommend Liteon SOHC-5232K ( 2.4k) . came out trumps in FEB CHIP , both best value n performance . cant ask 4 more can u .

drgrudge

stephen said:
Sonyyyyyyyyyy?
No Please...my first CD Writer Sony CRX 195E1 went dead with in 8 months. Then I got it replaced to a CRX 215E1 and now the new one went bad in another 6 months!!!
I have a very bad experience with Sony. Are lite-on drives similar to Sony?
Thats depends on ur luck too !!!

I have samsunf CD as well DVD rom drive, CD is more than 5 yrs old and dvd is more than 8 months old...both are working fine here!

Ppl tell samsung has tray problems and LG has reading problems.

HEY liteon is actually sony now (or vice versa). EVen benq is good.

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
@Docgrud : could u check the "made in country" label on ur drive . Plus ur SMPS model and specs . Amazing to hear ur drive is the only samsung which hasnt had problems . driveikku SUTHHI PODU , Kannu Pattidum ;)

drgrudge

MOdel : SD- 616
buffer memory: 512 kb
not made in india!!!

SMPS thing not given ...

klinux said:
driveikku SUTHHI PODU , Kannu Pattidum
HMM, Suthhi potu, no use! kannu pattiduchu! Ella ppl enga kannu vechutange :(

Man , but i am happy! I even plan to buy a sms DVD writer.

quad master

In the zone
@ klinux

i too am using samsung since 4 years and no tray problems as you have mentioned.

i too asked my friend who is using Samsung 52x + 8mb buffer
he too says that there are any tray problems.

i have first time heard of samsung tray probs

hey klinux nothing against you every one has his or her share of good and bad experiences.

gamefreak14

Journeyman
klinux said:
- drive tray problems is common , but really a head ache . most samsung users have their own "technique" on how to open the tray , ranging from tapping it 3 times , cooling the drive , massaging the sides or the tray and some even going in for praying for it to open . so unless u got lots of patience and good imagination to come up with new ways to open the tray , keep away
This is the single biggest problem which every drive of theirs has to offer. I've a perfect drive lying in the store room, just because the tray, is something of a beast. Actually, my LiteON DVD drive came just on time and I bid adieu to this piece of junk. I can personally attest to three other friends of mine with the same problem. You still wanna know more? Here ya go...Have fun--> *www.driverzone.com/viewcomment.php?company=Samsung&masterid=602

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom