Thread for Windows XP Service PAck 2 Aftermaths

Status
Not open for further replies.

yours_truly

Broken In
Hi all
SUrely many of us must have installed XP SP2 by now so i thought why not strt this thread .Plzz Share ur XPreiences after installing SP2 . I guess u could post problems u encountered or problems that went away ,apps that stopped working etc.

Personally for me this what happened :
-User Accounts cntrl Panel applet doesnt run(Help!! now i cant access or change any accounts)
-Help n Support center,system Restore ,Search Companion all stopped
working
-All Files reception in MSN 6.2 stop giving error "possible harmful file"

Plzz if any1 has solns plz post them before i take the drastic step(un-install)

[deXter]

Journeyman
Well I can tell you how to solve your problems, but it is much simpler instead to create a slipstreamed (integrated) XP + SP2 CD and format/reinstall from your new XP setup CD.

How to slipstream / integrate XP and SP2? Just head over to:

*nuhi.msfn.org

And download nLite. This program can automatically integrate XP and SP2, and besides you can customise your own XP CD. If possible, format and reinstall, or else a normal reinstall would do too.

---

Note: The best for installing SP2 or any service pack for that matter is always integrating/slipstreaming and performing a clean install with your new windows CD, as you'd definately avoid the problems you faced above.

*img.photobucket.com/albums/v189/dextersgenius/signature1.gif

amitpagarwal

Broken In
Some info in my blog as well.

*labnol.blogspot.com/2004/10/slipstream-microsoft-products.html

HTH
Amit @ *labnol.blogspot.com/

KHUBBU

Journeyman
my ie is not working after sp2. doesnt open any site at all." could not open the search page". i also installed zone alarm after sp2. its working fine but ie is not. maybe it has something to do with it. i use opera but other members from my family use ie. plz help.

[deXter]

Journeyman
Ok, this is going to sound like a real cliché, but did you try out FirefoxIE ? Your family members are never going to know the difference..

rohanbee

Padawan
Some info please:-
I have XP home installed and i just bought XP (Pro) from the US, now there is an option where i can upgrade from the home edition to the Pro one.

But the problem is that i want to register the PRO version in my personal name whereas my HOme edition is in my company's name, So someone told me that when you upgrade this way it will pick my old registartion details. Is this true ??

So that means that i will have to format my partition and do a clean install?! and i will loose a lot of programs including anti-virus definations and they might not re-activate my account since i have already done this twice.

Please advice.

[deXter]

Journeyman
Its always better to format and reinstall. To avoid all the hassles of software reinstallation, its better you keep XP exclusively to itself on C: and install all your software in other partitions. I dont think you have done this, so install it in this manner now. Of course, you will have to reinstall some software like A/V, Firewall etc.

Yes, if you reinstall, it does pick up the registration details, but if you do a format and a reinstall, it doesn't matter..

And about your activation, dont worry it will work fine.

rohanbee

Padawan
Dex another thing that i want to know if i put just windows in C and then every programme sort of asks for to be installed by default on C.

Is there some way that i can change the default drive to D without it asking me all the time??

Thanks for the above info : i will take your advice and do a clean install.

[deXter]

Journeyman
Yeah. Simply change the location of your program files folder to D: drive.

Just browse over to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion and look for ProgramFilesDir. Now edit this value and change it to D: . Of course before you do that, remember to copy the existing contents of your original program files folder to you d: drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom