Thoughts on Apple iPhone 5

surinarayan

Broken In
I like Apple products ,so i decided to buy iPhone 5 before that i would like to know your views regarding this product :-o

ithehappy

Human Spambot
What type of views?
It's overpriced imo, but a good phone. If you like it, if you like iOS, buy it.

karthikkumar

Broken In
Apple iPhone 5 is a great product with Enhanced HD video recording & graphics even better battery life.so where you are going to buy because one of my friend want to buy this same product but he is searching where they are selling for best price.:razz:

OP
S

surinarayan

Broken In
Hi karthik not too much difference in the price for Apple iPhone 5 but any way i got the following links when i was searching for this product

In Tradus Apple iPhone 5 for 45800
In Grabmore Best Price for Apple iPhone 5 for 45500

aroraanant

Explorer
My friend bought iphone 5 from bagittoday for around 41-41.5k and he got 10 no. of coupons each worth 1k (that means total value of coupons were 10k) but these coupons are valid on a purchase of 4k and above.

@OP- Its nice phone, but I would have bought it if it was available for 30k or less,its price tag is just too high.
Rather I would buy Note 2 or HTC One X or would have waited for the next set of HTC phones.

Barpanda

Broken In
I like Apple products ,so i decided to buy iPhone 5 before that i would like to know your views regarding this product :-o

Hi Surinarayan,

I've used iPhone since they first were released and I can tell you that I wouldn't go back to a different device. The user interface coupled with the compatibility are top-notch in my opinion. Make sure you purchase a nice, protective case for your new iPhone though. One thing is for certain, iPhones aren't cheap and by making the investment in your new device you're going to want to ensure that it's properly protected.

Cheers,
Chase

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
The only thing that matters with the iPhone 5 is that if you have the cash then there is no reason to not go for it.
Although Android has similar offerings for lesser the price.

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
@OP, It is very hard to justify getting the overpriced iPhone 5 when similar phones are available for a lot less... Why would you like to buy an iPhone?

At this time, I would recommend waiting for a few months if you have a decent phone... Around April or May, we will see new flagships from all companies into the ring...

The HTC Droid DNA, Samsung Galaxy S4 and Sony Xperia Z... all these phones will be full 1080p resolution displays @ 1920 x 1080 with a 5" screen size... and massive batteries, excellent cameras... The iPhone 5 doesn't stand a chance,,,

red dragon

Master troll
..... And iOS sucks unless you're a n00b.
And you consider yourself major geek!?
Because you like to flash your Android with every ROM you can get @ xda!?
@op,if you don't mind spending 45k for a phone...go ahead!Buy it!!
Personally,I would never buy a phone for that insane price!
What about the Lumia 920?It is a damn good phone,far better than the crappy droids.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Have the money and dont care about spending it ? Buy the Iphone 5.

Looking for VFM? There is the droid army. GS3, One X. Also the Nexus.

Feeling lucky? Check out the Lumia 920/820. These are the underdogs, but very compelling buys for certain people.

If you have the cash then get an iPhone. No two ways about it.

-Android user ;)

Your siggy says you have the Iphone 4 and the Xperia arc. You use the arc over the Iphone 4 ??

Sarath

iDota
Your siggy says you have the Iphone 4 and the Xperia arc. You use the arc over the Iphone 4 ??

Nah I have an Arc only. I was using my bro's iP4 when I made that siggy. I don't remember when and why I put it there. I am more of an Android guy and a Nexus 4 excites me more than iP5 but I do not impose my personal preferences while making suggestions.

I do like the iOS and think of it as a worthy contender to Android (whichever version) but I prefer Android

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
even as an android fanboy, i hate to admit it... that if one has the dough they should get a iphone 5. In the iphone you pay for the optimization + hardware ..... and android devices are a long way from that... not unless google dictates one industry specific hardware...

just have a look here :

*www.anandtech.com/show/6330/the-iphone-5-review/11

the bandwidth is 4x that of a mali 400mp (quadcore)

*images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph6330/50930.png

the benchmarks speak for themselves

i think mathematically it makes sense even to buy a iphone 4s... for 30k you get to beat the gs3... and iphone 5 for 45k you have 2.5x the performance...

Sarath

iDota
With the Nexus 4, I think google has finally woken up and taken notice, how much people would like an unadulterated Android experience. No other Droid has seen so much success. I think Google will itself be a worthy contender to Apple on the hardware front.

Looks like the iP5 and Droid Q3/4 '13 will be an interesting battle.

For now, even as an Android user, another recommendation for the iPhone 5 comes from. Although a main reason is also that you can afford the iphone :)

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
With the Nexus 4, I think google has finally woken up and taken notice, how much people would like an unadulterated Android experience. No other Droid has seen so much success. I think Google will itself be a worthy contender to Apple on the hardware front.

For now, even as an Android user, another recommendation for the iPhone 5 comes from. Although a main reason is also that you can afford the iphone :)

Exactly.

But IMO the nexus 4 is crippled at having a max of 16G of memory. Even moderate music collections easily run into 10+ GBs. Now add a few decently encoded video files and those fun snaps from the restaurant the other day and you are immediately aware of how painfully short 16 G is. I understand google's ploy behind this move, but personally I consider 32G the bare minimum for phones with non-expandable memory.

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl

not even a battle in real terms... apple app devs dont have to care about optimization... thats the whole POINT.

Its like saying that if every racing car was built on the same chasis with a little difference between generations the amount of efficiency you could squeeze out is very high, with minimal costs you can keep on making modifications instead of spending billions in R&D to develop a whole new car...

Thats what apple is all about. They develop their own hardware, and they try to squeeze every ounce of power from their hardware... and thats the difference. When a dev develops an app for a iphone he doesnt have to think about tegra 3 gpu/ adreno 225/ mali 400, and then make the game playable on all 3. Since the latest and the previous generation run the same os that is a big help..

and therefore no matter what hardware idea google comes up with next, the optimization on a iphone is hard to beat... atleast until we reach a point where the libraries and the processors and gpu follow a similar operational pattern. or ofcourse you have google funding the devs to develop apps only specific to a particular handset.

on a positive note though the nexus 4 was a success and the apple market share will be falling... but even then android has a long way before they reach the apple level ....

a must read :

With a couple of successful iPhone generations under its belt, Apple set its sights much higher. Steve Jobs hired some of the brightest minds in CPU and GPU design and kept them close by. They would influence silicon supplier roadmaps as well as help ensure Apple was on the forefront of performance. Remember that CPU and GPU makers don't just set their own roadmaps, they ask their biggest customers and software vendors what they would like to see. As Apple grew in size, Apple's demands carried more weight.

Unlike the desktop/notebook CPU space, there was no truly aggressive SoC provider. The why is easy to understand. Mobile SoCs sell for $14 - $30, while the desktop and notebook CPUs that Intel invests so heavily in sell for around 10x that, despite being 1 - 4x the physical die size of their cheaper mobile counterparts. In short, most SoC providers felt that no one would be willing to pay for a big, high performance chip, so no one made them. Ultimately this led to a lot of embarassment, with companies like NVIDIA being known for their graphics prowess losing when it came to SoC GPU performance.

Realizing the lack of an Intel-like player in the mobile SoC space, Apple took it upon itself to build the silicon it needed to power the iPhone and iPad. By controlling its own SoC destiny it could achieve a level of vertical integration that no OEM has enjoyed in recent history. Apple would be able to define the experience it wanted, then work with the device, OS, application and SoC teams to deliver that experience. It's a very tempting thing to strive for, the risks are plentiful but the upside is tremendous.

The A4 SoC was Apple's first branded solution, although internally it still leveraged licensed IP blocks from ARM (Cortex A8) and Imagination Technologies (PowerVR SGX 535). Its replacement, the A5, moved to a dual-core Cortex A9 setup with a much beefier GPU from Imagination (PowerVR SGX 543MP2). For the 3rd generation iPad, Apple doubled up GPU core count and built the largest ARM based mobile SoC we've seen deployed.

When I first looked at the A4, I wrote the following:

Apple is not a microprocessor company, nor does Apple want to toss its hat in with the likes of Intel, NVIDIA, Qualcomm and TI as an SoC maker. History has shown us that the only way to be a successful microprocessor company is to be able to subsidize the high cost of designing a powerful architecture over an extremely large install base. That's why x86 survived, and it's why the ARM business model works.

Designing high performance SoCs just for use in the iPad and iPhone just doesn't make sense. In the short term, perhaps, but in the long run it would mean that Apple would have to grow the microprocessor side of its business considerably. That means tons of engineers, more resources that aren't product focused, and honestly re-inventing the wheel a lot.

The fact that the A4 appears to be little more than a 45nm, 1GHz Cortex A8 paired with a PowerVR SGX GPU tells me that Apple isn't off its rocker. I don't exactly know what Apple is doing with all of these CPU and GPU engineers in house, but licensing tech from the companies who have experience in building the architectures is still on the menu.

While I still believe that, long term, Apple will either have to commit to being a full blown chip company or buy processors from whoever ends up dominating the mobile SoC industry it's clear that for the foreseeable future Apple will be a device company that also makes mobile SoCs. Given the state of the mobile SoC space at this point, I can't blame Apple for wanting to build its own chips.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you want something easy to use, get Android.

If you have the cash, then iPhone. But in that budget I'd get the iPhone 5.

Top Bottom