Thoughts on Apple iPhone 5

aroraanant

Explorer
I would like to add one point here.
That apple's touch and its quality and smoothness can't be compared with an android phone, it is useless to compare iphone with any android phone.
But on the same hand there are a lot of disadvantages of iphone among which the main thing that bother's me is that itunes is required everytime you connect your phone to pc, no bluetooth, and no wi-fi hotspot in previous iphone models(older than 5) and considering all these things one also have to pay a hefty amount, so as all say if you extra cash buy an iphone.
--- Android user. ;)

Sarath

iDota
It's hard to find an android user recommending a iphone just like u did...

Another Android user :p

Well, in the current scenario with the SGS3 as the Android king or queen if I may, and the Nexus 4 perenially out of stock, and the iP5 with the tried and tested formula with an ideal 4" screen (my personal size preference) and no glass rear, it makes for a very strong contender.

The prev generation had the SGS2, which was an amazing phone at the time. I am not so impressed with the current Android flagships. Although right now given a choice, I would buy a Nexus 4 hands down. While I say that, I am lusting over the Xperia Z, such beauty with Android in it, I couldn't ask for more. (Well I could ask for money to afford the Z, but that is a social and economical issue :D )

For OPs requirements (what requirements?) I think an iP5 is good. Like I said, he can afford it, no reason not to go for it.

red dragon

Master troll
Yesterday evening had a chance to play with a Lumia 920.

One thing for sure,I have not seen a single phone(iPhone 5,GS3,Note 2 included)with such ZERO lag interface.

iPhone 5 was supposed to be the king of smooth ui,but it also lags fraction of a second when the home button in pressed after the screen is unlocked,but this thing from Nokia is a different beast altogether.

Not a fan of many so called FEATURES and APPS of smartphones and naturally find WM8 very exciting.

If op is not a app or feature junkie,he/she may like 920 over iPhone 5.
(personally,I have to check how it plays with Mac,if acceptable will upgrade from 4s-the only phone which stayed for more than a year and looks to go strong for another two)

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
Yesterday evening had a chance to play with a Lumia 920.

One thing for sure,I have not seen a single phone(iPhone 5,GS3,Note 2 included)with such ZERO lag interface.

iPhone 5 was supposed to be the king of smooth ui,but it also lags fraction of a second when the home button in pressed after the screen is unlocked,but this thing from Nokia is a different beast altogether.

Not a fan of many so called FEATURES and APPS of smartphones and naturally find WM8 very exciting.

If op is not a app or feature junkie,he/she may like 920 over iPhone 5.
(personally,I have to check how it plays with Mac,if acceptable will upgrade from 4s-the only phone which stayed for more than a year and looks to go strong for another two)

yes but the AAA apps need to be somehow ported to wp8.. to increase the popularity... and we need more wp8 options in lower price bands if nokia has to become king once again....

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
1. the next generation of devices are 2-5 months away
2. the only real advantage of iOS is the ecosystem... alone - and this is a huge advantage atm, there are four times as many devs slaving for iOS (src) as there are for droids, iOS has all the developer mindshare (src). If iOS exclusive apps and the ecosystem does not appeal to you, enough to bear the price diff, a latest generation droid is better. another consideration here is that if you do not plan to jailbreak and pirate, you need to keep aside a monthly budget for services and content, this can be a constant drain and an added burden. some of these ban jailbroken devices/ devices with IAP cracker apps.
3. the chief "opinion" about iOS is that it is "too costly", while it is certainly overpriced, and apple does have huge margins on the devices, more on the phones than the pads, but at least a few users may end up feeling the cost is justified, and bear it happily - after that the device continues to get regular updates for the longest time.
4. don't think there is too much smoothness / lag problems post jellybean

don't like iTunes... cannot afford to download it or install it, don't need to. have two idevices, never connected them to computer after iOS 5.0. In fact, apart from a few games and keeping skype open so I can talk to my guild while I am playing on my iphone 3GS, that is a pretty old model, don't even feel the need for a desktop anymore.

cacklebolt

Ambassador of Buzz
Very predictable product.Apple changed only those things which people had been crying out loud about.Not a revolutionary product. The first iPhone and the iPhone 4 were definitely revolutionary.That said, the iPhone 5 is an excellent no-frills phone with a brilliant body.

red dragon

Master troll
It is very difficult to leave the comfort zone that Apple provides with the beautiful integration of their computer and mobile os..and this is the only thing preventing me to make the switch...and 920 is too expensive as secondary phone.
How is the integration between Windows 8 & WP8(apologies for my ignorance,have not used Windows for a loooong time)

Barpanda

Broken In
It's about quality, design, compatibility and durability. I've used Apple products for some time now and I couldn't recommend them more. Yes, they're a bit more money, but compared to a few high-end Android devices they're very competitive. Make sure to get yourself a nice case to protect it ;)

cacklebolt

Ambassador of Buzz
Comparing iPhone and Android is like comparing God and Satan.

They are two completely different platforms with different ideologies and functionalities.

n3rd

In the zone
Comparing iPhone and Android is like comparing God and Satan.

They are two completely different platforms with different ideologies and functionalities.

Satan>God then? I'd assume so, despite massive fanbase of God, Satan still pwns :p

Seriously though - I'd agree to some extent - minimal (relatively) features and hell lot of quality apps. I don't like iOs, but gotta give it to them that many users find it more user friendly. I don't think I could ever live with that though, I've owned 3GS (gifted by someone) and iPod touch 2G (still have it). It gets really dull with the limited features after a while. And i flipping hate iTunes and syncing music and movies w/ iTunes. HATE it. To each his/her own I suppose.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
limited features? ios? it's supposed to have zero, because there is an app for everything. even apps for some things that aren't really things. want to delete the default apps as well, don't need freeb reminder when you paid for epic win. there are a bunch of iOS exclusive apps that came since the time you posted that comment, maybe you can still try them on the 3GS... this is the heart of the iOS experience, and in fact, apps are the only real reason to get smartphones over feature phones

also, why connect the device to a computer at all? to achieve what? does not that defeat the purpose of a smart phone? you can do everything without tethering now

this is not just god and satan, the experience of these platforms actually depend on a bunch of other platforms, it's not just google and apple, nintendo, sony, amazon and others all contribute to the experience of these two ecosystems to various degrees, at times by not being involved at all

for example kindle on droids is stupid because of one tap purchase of ebooks, and kindle on ios is stupid because no option to purchase at all, you have to get it from elsewhere (say on a droid?) then read

Top Bottom