...those wierd numbers...that some sites want...

Status
Not open for further replies.

anandk

Distinguished Member
ever wondered what those wierd-looking numbers and letters r, that some sites want u 2 enter 4 security reasons; and how do they actually help security?

well i just "yahoo'd" around and came up with this : these alpha-numbers r there to prevent spambots or other malicious users from flooding the form page with bogus data. they r presented as an image, rather than plain text, in order to prevent a simple script from copying and pasting the numbers on the form. and they r distorted to prevent optical-character recognition software from reading the numbers in the image and doing the same thing. the idea is that only humans will be able to decipher the images of the numbers and correctly retype them on the form; thus ensuring that the form only gets used for legitimate purposes.

(PS : this has to be in the Tutotial Section imo. If mods feel otherwise, they will shift it. so lets not worry about that :) )

OP
anandk

anandk

Distinguished Member
sigh...maybe i should start some of my posts with "For those who dont know"!
sure there are more geeks here than noobs...huh...maybe...
but u know what i think, guys who know some of such trivial basics, usually say 'old old old'; and guys who DONT KNOW, perhaps prefer to remain silent
:) anywyaz sorry o have wasted ur time geeks !

and thanx for adding something new for me Indyan ! DIDNT KNOW ABOUT THAT ! :D

nitish_mythology

OSS Enthusiast!
anandk,I hope tht my words hv not discouraged u...
All I want to say was tht ur article didnt seem to b a tutorial too me! It was jst a piece of info...

I m VishalGupta's admirer coz he writes tutorial which seem geeky to me, but someone who knows more or equivalent to him might tag them as normal!!

Its all on our skills. This article is definitely not a waste!!

OP
anandk

anandk

Distinguished Member
nitish : vishal gupta is a great guy. unfortunately not all are pure geeks here on this forum.

this forum is a melting pot. u have guys who have just touched a comp to a geek like u. each one looking for something...at every level ! thats the beauty of this forum and thats what makes it so rich !

dont worry, i will never get discouraged ! my threads (if u look at them are for all and more general in nature). trust me, i will continue to post so. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom