Think Digit Yahoo Conference/Room

Should we start a Chat room on Yahoo? Like the good ol' days?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

narangz

Web developer
Guys can we start a room/conference on Yahoo chat? I know a chat room exists at IRC but many members including myself prefer Yahoo.

The main advantage of that will be many threads will be saved from crap posts that we post (I am also one of the guilty) & we can have full blown fun on the conference/room. Also oldies like Din uncle :)D) remember the old days at Yahoo & I hope we can create that magic again.

What do you say guys?

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Yahoo conferences have 2 big problems, half the time people cannot see each other and secondly huge lags. IRC is much lighter on b/w can be run alongside torrents and stuff, try that with yahoo and watch the fun.

Indyan

Here Since 2003
Umm.. I never really had too many problems with y!m (other than the client crashing sometimes.. but thats also a thing of the past).
Well, I wish we could get back the golden days of digit ym conf..

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Yahoo conferences are seriously crap! Lots of lag, and people cant see each other! Please come to the IRC, we already have a good userbase there :) You dont even need a client.. Just connect via mibbit :)

Use IRC. Connect to chat.freenode.net and do a /join #think-digit.

I have NO idea what anirudh is sniffing about. I think IRC is one of the best things that has happened to this forum.

OP
narangz

narangz

Web developer
I already said many members (which includes myself) prefer Yahoo messenger over IRC. I've been to IRC (kalpik/mehul & others know) but I still prefer Yahoo. That's the reason I login to IRC rarely. I use Yahoo & never felt like it's affecting the downloads, it does only when I use voice chat or view someone's cam. Even if it does, I don't care. Spending some moments with my friends is more important than downloading.

F

FilledVoid

Although the idea is nice, I prefer to stay in IRC. Not to mention I prefer keeping IRC open since I frequent other channels too. Half the users in #think-digit are Linux users I doubt Pidgin allows for Voice chatting ? Or does it?

Anyway other than the availability of a load of smileys I personally don't see the difference.

I already said many members (which includes myself) prefer Yahoo messenger over IRC.
Out of curiosity may I know what are the differences? Is there something on Y! which can't be done on IRC or some feature that makes Y! preferable over IRC? How does Y! handle spam? Example I log on and some nitwit starts spamming his blog link 100 times. Do you have to resort to booters to kick the dude or is there a system to mute / kick him? What are the bandwidth requirements for this thing. With 20 folks on #think-digit I think I consume about 5-8 MB a day for this. Does Y! consume more?

The main advantage of that will be many threads will be saved from crap posts that we post (I am also one of the guilty) & we can have full blown fun on the conference/room.
I don't seem to understand this, Is there some kind of Wiki feature available on Y! which logs all threads posted? I doubt anyone in the present room we have posts crap posts. As for fun I think I'm having fun in IRC and don't see how a client change will enhance it.

In the end however the decision is with users I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
narangz

narangz

Web developer
I don't seem to understand this, Is there some kind of Wiki feature available on Y! which logs all threads posted? I doubt anyone in the present room we have posts crap posts. As for fun I think I'm having fun in IRC and don't see how a client change will enhance it.

In the end however the decision is with users I guess.

Who said there is Wiki feature? I meant we can have fun on Yahoo instead of crapping threads for having the offtopic chats.

How can I get to the IRC chat room? where can I download the client? Please give me the link.

See, that's what I am talking about. Many members don't know much about IRC. If we have a Yahoo room it would have been an easier task for many.

@cooldudie-

Here's how:
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82475

Last edited:
F

FilledVoid

To log on to the IRC Channel: You do any one of the following

1. Open www.mibbit.com . Select the server as freenode and channel as #think-digit. Enter a desired Nickname and connect.

2. Use a client like Xchat2 , Mirc, Chatzilla. I personally use Xchat2 on Windows and Xchat on Linux.
Here is Xchat2 - *www.silverex.org/news/
Here is mIRC - *www.mirc.com/
Here is Chatzilla - *addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/16
Here is Pidgin - *www.pidgin.im/

The server and channel would remain the same in either case of clients. There are quite alot of clients listing them all out isn't exactly easy.

Who said there is Wiki feature? I meant we can have fun on Yahoo instead of crapping threads for having the offtopic chats.
I don't get it still. Are you somehow implying that we are crapping the threads on this board with Offtopic stuff alot?
See, that's what I am talking about. Many members don't know much about IRC. If we have a Yahoo room it would have been an easier task for many.
To be frank I wouldn't know how to log on to a Y! and maintain my sanity in a conference room which has access more smileys than a kids emotions in Willy Wonkas Chocolate Factory.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
narangz

narangz

Web developer
To be frank I wouldn't know how to log on to a Y! and maintain my sanity in a conference room which has access more smileys than a kids emotions in Willy Wonkas Chocolate Factory.

Alright no one is forcing you to join the Yahoo rooms. You don't like it simply say no. That's it :)

----------

ROFL @ the poll :lol:

You rock goobi :D Thanks!

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy
I see the poll has been cleverly constructed such that no one wants to be caught with their pants down. As for me, I'm on for Yahoo Messenger chat. IRC is just not my cup of tea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom