Things which you feel are fake and pointless, but you participate in anyways ?

srkmish

Ambassador of Buzz
Hi guys,

Warning : This post might appear cynical. But its not. Its just a honest deliberation of attention seeking things that we do and why we do it.

As we sort out of thoughts and actions and get to be wiser and more mature with every passing year, i sometimes things we need to drop and let go of some activities which we do. Maybe we are convinced in our minds that these are pointless, but maybe due to fear of being alienated or the overwhelming peer pressure, we just pretend we are happy doing it

(i) Taking pics unnecessarily- For every birthday/office party/pics, people are more interested in taking pics and uploading to facebook than actually enjoying the moment. I start cringing everytime the hotshot with the best phone camera starts wielding his smartphone to command the rest of the lot to take poses so he can take the best pics and then upload it to various watsapp groups/instagram/facebook. And as soon as the session finishes, others are screaming "Abe mere email pe pics bhej dena". Do people really enjoy this or are they involved in a constant "my life is cooler than yours" Competition on the social scene. I was guilty of this too during college times, but there is a difference. An 18 year old doing all this is motivated by his desire to impress but 26 yr olds doing the same thing , its just sad and attention whoring.

(ii) Facebook - OMG, the biggest crap man has ever invented. I dont even have a real account anymore and the fake one i have is just for subscribing to important page updates from some talented people i follow.

(iii) Birthdays - Frankly , i would be very happy if everyone forgets my birthday. Why would we have to pay special attention to a person on his birthday is beyond me.

(iv) Religious customs - I have seen my mother taking tension over stupid things like whether the diya is in the right place, whether the decoration is perfect and other ****. Just another example where it is clear that man creates his own tension. Such huge loads of money wasted in all this **** - Decoration, pandals, weddings could be better invested in donating to charity.

I will leave social customs out of it cuz i am finding that living in a society we have to interact with many different people and that is a constant challenge to bond with people. As much as my introvert self would prefer to hide my head in the sand, i have to get used to the idea that people are everywhere and if i am bearing ill will for someone else, it is because i have a hidden judgmental side. So i am all up for social customs i.e. friendly greetings, getting genuintely interested in the other person, striking up conversations etc.

Gen.Libeb

Padawan
(i) Taking pics unnecessarily - I am sure some people genuinely enjoy it & its not about attention.
(ii) Facebook - Not sure. Other than a few people going crazy checking & updating twice a day, If used well its not that bad.
(iii) Birthdays - I agree, I don't see the big deal about it, The earth completes one revolution around the sun.
(iv) Religious customs - Agree with this. Such a waste and the same people complaining about wastage elsewhere.

I can't really think of adding anything interesting,
One of it may be me posting just my movie ratings in movie discussion thread without any review, Why would any one consider my rating to be more accurate than imDb if its just a rating. As for searching and coming across movies, there already are many better ways unless I know someone here who has a similar taste in movies as me.
This sounds like a hypocrite but posting in this thread feels fake and pointless too.

aaruni

The Linux Guy
(i) Taking pics - Its actually very fun and addictive. I had three days to play with a DSLR last month, and I ended up taking hundreds of pics. Most of them didn't have people elements. It was just fun messing with the settings and trying to get the perfect image as soon as possible.

(ii) Facebook - That depends on how you use it. My own timeline, I think, is pretty decent. But I have come across people who make it look like they spend every waking moment on facebook.

(iii) Birthdays - They may be nice or meh, depending on how you celebrate them. Just an annual excuse for the nuclear family to get together and feast, sure! But otherwise, not very sure of it.

(iv) - religious customs - Now this, I simply do not get. Have to follow, because elders are fairly religious.

OP
srkmish

srkmish

Ambassador of Buzz
I can't really think of adding anything interesting,
One of it may be me posting just my movie ratings in movie discussion thread without any review, Why would any one consider my rating to be more accurate than imDb if its just a rating. As for searching and coming across movies, there already are many better ways unless I know someone here who has a similar taste in movies as me.
This sounds like a hypocrite but posting in this thread feels fake and pointless too.

Yeah. I agree with the rating thing. One has to justify his rating otherwise what is the point of your subjective assessment of a movie to me. Agree that the thread is pointless, its just an excuse for me to vent my thoughts :p

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
@OP: You just echoed my views and beliefs in your post. There are several things we do which seems pointless and probably most of them we do without even realizing.

About taking pics unnecessarily, I can honestly say that a company such as Facebook survives only due to such people who care more about "a perfect Profile pic" than any other thing in the world. Those are the people for which a complete series of phone are about to launch named, "Selfie phones". Though I like making videos. I think videos capture a moment better than pics. But alas videos can't be seen and shared so easily than pics.

I don't really see the point of celebrating birthdays too, which only reminds us that we are one year more closer to death or that life have effed up for one more year. But I will give a benefit of doubt for those who really want to enjoy their birthday's for they think life have give them one more year worth of experience and learning. But mostly the shenanigans of celebrating birthdays is one reason why I go underground on my birthday. :p
I have requested my colleagues number of times in the past that I don't like a "cake" being bought and then asking everyone else in team for equal share of money. (I call it extortion). But they just wouldn't listen. This is something I have managed to think I have no escaping to, hence I have to participate. Else I would be called a person with "Anti Social behaviour".

The cynicism of religious customs are on a whole different level though. Endless pages of threads can be held discussing this without coming out to a single conclusion. This reminds me of the dialogues said by Paresh Rawal in the movie "On My God" about how we waste thousands of litres of milk on statues which ultimately goes in drains than feeding a thousands of people wandering around holy monuments which it could have fed.

Apart from what have been discussed above I would like to add one more point:
Raising hand while passing through holy monuments: I don't understand why some people have to "show" that they acknowledge while passing through a temple/mosque/church etc. I could extend this to the point of believing that we can only pray while we are in front of some statue and believing that God doesn't exist anywhere else? Do they believe we can do whatever the eff we want at places where there isn't a statue? What kind of belief is that?

There are some more things which I think are pointless too:
1. Watching mindless movies of Bollywood: Not saying all hindi movies are bad, but movies like Chennai Express just ends up lowering your IQ without even providing any kind of entertainment. Watching such things is completely pointless, but most of us do.
2. Passing exams after cramming couple of days before it: I don't need to explain this. Everybody knows that its pointless but everybody have do it.
3. Getting a Quad core smartphone when you don't even game: Seriously, I have seen many people who want that "state of the art" phone to be running the most sophicated multicore processor, while what they end up doing on it is just "WhatsApp" and "Facebook". So much for the zillions of clocks that they are gonna waste. :facepalm:
Add to this point the people who buy iPhone just to showoff. Thanksfully number of iFans have drastically reduced since this trend was started to appear.
4. Spending thousands on Watches: No offence to all the Timekeepers here at TDF who love the millions of tiny parts that are intricately assembled together to show time in great precision, but seriously thousands in a tech that only tells time? Seems 'kinda' pointless to me.

aaruni

The Linux Guy
[MENTION=77264]Vyom[/MENTION] : about the costly timekeepers, some are actually worth it. Like the piece that shows temperature, air pressure, humidity, etc can be a handy tool for someone out to take observations of some sort. and the rugged ones are costly too. the kind which you can wear and forget, and go mountain climbing and diving and whatnot.

Raising hand while passing through holy monuments? That's a first for me.

Another thing I would like to add (which you may/may not have noticed/done in your school life), is raising your right arm parallel to the ground while asking the teacher permission to get inside the class. What does that even mean? I like to tease those people, by calling them, and then saying "Hiel Hitler!".

OP
srkmish

srkmish

Ambassador of Buzz
[MENTION=134449]aaruni[/MENTION] : Your post reminded me of an osho story

But it was difficult for my parents, for my teachers, professors. In my school it was compulsory to wear caps, and I entered the high school without a cap. Immediately the teacher said, "Are you aware or not that the cap is compulsory?"

I said, "A thing like a cap cannot be compulsory. How can it be compulsory to put something on your head or not? The head is compulsory, but not the cap. And I have come with the head; perhaps you have come only with the cap."

He said, "You look a strange type. It is just written in the school code that without a cap, no student can enter the school."

I said, "Then that code has to be changed. It is written by human beings, not by God; and human beings commit mistakes."

The teacher could not believe it. He said, "What is the matter with you? Why can't you just wear a cap?"

I said, "The trouble is not with the cap; I want to find out why it is compulsory, its reason, its results. If you are unable... you can take me to the principal and we can discuss it." And he had to take me to the principal.

The principal listened to me and he said, "The boy is stubborn, but what he is saying makes sense. I had never thought about it -- this is true. And we can make this code non- compulsory. Anybody who wants to wear a cap can wear one; anybody who does not want to use, there is no need -- because it has nothing to do with learning, teaching."

The teacher could not believe it. On the way back he told me, "What did you do?"

I said, "I have done nothing, I simply explained the situation. I am not angry, I am perfectly willing to use a cap. If you feel it helps intelligence, why only one? I can use two caps, three caps, caps upon caps, if it helps intelligence...! I am not angry. But you have to prove it."

The teacher said to me -- I still remember his words -- "You will be in trouble your whole life. You will not fit in anywhere."

I said, "That's perfectly okay, but I don't want to be an idiot and fit in everywhere. It is good to be an "unfit" but intelligent. And I have come to the school to learn intelligence, so I can be an unfit intelligently! Please never try again to change me from an individual into a cog in the wheel."

And from the next day the caps disappeared; only he had come with a cap. And looking at the class and the school... because the new rule has come into force that caps are not compulsory, all other teachers, even the principal, had come without caps. He looked so idiotic. I said to him, "There is still time. You can take it off and put it in your pocket."

Nerevarine

Incarnate
<!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: dbtech_usertag_mention -->
@<a href="*www.digit.in/forum/members/77264.html" target="_blank">Vyom</a>
<!-- END TEMPLATE: dbtech_usertag_mention --> : about the costly timekeepers, some are actually worth it. Like the piece that shows temperature, air pressure, humidity, etc can be a handy tool for someone out to take observations of some sort. and the rugged ones are costly too. the kind which you can wear and forget, and go mountain climbing and diving and whatnot.

Raising hand while passing through holy monuments? That's a first for me.

Another thing I would like to add (which you may/may not have noticed/done in your school life), is raising your right arm parallel to the ground while asking the teacher permission to get inside the class. What does that even mean? I like to tease those people, by calling them, and then saying "Hiel Hitler!".

what he meant is the super expensive Rolex and TAG Heuer which serve no other function other than tell time... The kind of watches people buy just because they are expensive

Something similar to this

This forum :p

obligatory "I hate my job."

Moderation is fake, censorship is pointless because at the end of the day, when a person closes this forum's tab his obscenities aren't starred, his intrusion isn't regulated, his wrongdoings aren't convicted.

abhijit_reddevil

Manchester United
Hi all,

Very interesting topic and a debatable one too.

1) Regarding taking pics unnecessarily, I completely agree. People are more interested in taking pictures of just about anything and uploading on Facebook, Whatsapp. I have seen people taking that picture of that delicious dish you have ordered at a restaurant and uploading it immediately on Facebook/Whatsapp groups and are more interested in the likes and comments rather than enjoying the dish. Or taking the picture of the birthday cake or anniversary card and uploading everywhere. Or taking a $hit picture of a railway station or a taxi stand and mentioning that he/she is travelling somewhere. There are numerous such examples of taking pictures unnecessarily.

2) Facebook was fine initially for connecting with old friends, colleagues, relatives staying far away, etc and it still is. It has become useless when people have started to share anything and everything there. Eg: I regularly get updates on my news feed like someone is having some fancy dish at a posh restaurant, or someone is at some international airport terminal travelling to some fancy location, or someone is feeling lonely, angry, nostalgic, hungry, sleepy, sad and what not or someone is at a mall with someone else and watching some movie at a multiplex, etc. I am not interested in these type of updates. FB is good for following famous people you like (I follow Ronaldo, Messi, Rooney, ManU, Sourav Ganguly, Sachin, Madhuri Dixit, Amitabh Bacchan, some trekking and photography groups and individuals. Basically my interests) or sharing some photos of your vacation (I hate it when people uploads 100+ photos to a particular album, 30-40 max is fine). Someday people will give update that he is in the toilet at some mall or simply his house. :p :p.

3) Birthdays, anniversaries, small get togethers are fine unless people overdo it. It is fine for me for having a small celebration with my close friends and family. It is not fine to overdo it like celebrating with the whole office team, or having a gala party at some fancy place and splurging unnecessarily.

4) Religious customs - well, our elders follow it. Most of the society follow it. I follow it, otherwise I will be termed as a heretic or an atheist.

I would like to add that it is also unnecessary to be in touch with that particular snotty relative just because he is a elder and your parents said so, otherwise you will be termed as unsocial and rude. He does not think of your family highly and always compares what his family does with what you do. Or perhaps he did some harm indirectly to your family in the past and now behaves that he is the closest to your family and as if he is always willing to help. It is necessary to avoid these people. You hate him for any reason but are forced not to avoid him at any social gathering/occasion.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Very good topic.

1) Taking pics unnecessarily - Now this has two aspects. One with the intention to capture memories (like I do), and the other about which you guys are talking about. I do enjoy every moment of an event and then try to collect all the "important" pictures so that I can stand to my belief "mujhe yaadein sametna achha lagta hai".
However, as far as those typical shooters are considered who just click irrelevantly and share "eating maggi @ blah"; that is what sucks. So do not generalise this all the persons who take pics are not enjoying the moment.

2) Facebook - Same for this. I do have FB account since 2008, and never spend time more than needed on it. And why do I need that ? Well, it has connected me to the people whom I thought were lost in the complexities of life. I understand that the real people who will value you will remain connected to you no matter what happens but still there are people with whom you would wish to keep a distance without loosing them. That's where FB kicks in. 5-10 mins a day, and done.

3) Birthday - Oh come on, why should one not be happy on his/her b'day ? Just ask your parents this question as when you came on earth this day, there was not a better day of rejoice. I understand that some people do not want a hoo-halla on this day, same with me; I too prefer a silent b'day, but without b'day, strict no. Life is already such a daunting task, don't snatch the reasons to smile which come along the way. :)

4) Religious customs - Agree. But apart from some of the controversial ones, I tend to follow them (you may say that I follow just because I am expected to follow. And anyway you shouldn't be expecting a reason for everything you do in life)

[MENTION=77264]Vyom[/MENTION] -

1) Raising hands at religious buidings - It's just a gesture of respect/faith but no one forces it to do, right ? And it's not necessary to raise your hands, rather you can just bow your head down. I don't know why people have a problem with what others follow.

2) Costly watches - Every person has got a specific interest. Some like to spend on booze, some on clothes, some on travelling, some on books, some on gadgets. So if you feel spending lavishly on something is unjustified, then some other person might have the same question about you also, for a different case (spending) though. See my point ?

BTW on a personal note, I really feel you should broaden your social involvement buddy. No offense. :)

OP
srkmish

srkmish

Ambassador of Buzz
[MENTION=86068]dashing.sujay[/MENTION] : I think capturing memories is pointless. I wouldn't care if all my childhood photos are destroyed/ all my digital pics erased. This "nostalgia" factor is a deception of the mind to look back at old memories and feel happy even though the moment has already passed and the past absolutely bears no significance to the present. There is a total disconnect.

I also stand by my "birthday is useless" theory :p . Man attaches too much significance to himself when the fact of the matter is all of us will be dead in a few years time and 100 years later ur great grandchildren wont even bother to know who you were. Even if somebody becomes famous and all, he wont be there to cherish the adoration of the living :p . Again these are my POV and it is indeed interesting to see how different minds perceive different things.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
3) Birthday - Oh come on, why should one not be happy on his/her b'day ? Just ask your parents this question as when you came on earth this day, there was not a better day of rejoice. I understand that some people do not want a hoo-halla on this day, same with me; I too prefer a silent b'day, but without b'day, strict no. Life is already such a daunting task, don't snatch the reasons to smile which come along the way. :)

So, parents can be happy. We are not snatching anyone's reason to smile. We just want people to respect your choice of not celebrating your b'day. Last year I requested everyone on my team, not to bring a cake which seems a waste of time. But they didn't pay any heed. Today though, they accepted my request, and I was filled with rejoice. Thanks to them for respecting my wish.

[MENTION=77264]Vyom[/MENTION] -

1) Raising hands at religious buidings - It's just a gesture of respect/faith but no one forces it to do, right ? And it's not necessary to raise your hands, rather you can just bow your head down. I don't know why people have a problem with what others follow.

2) Costly watches - Every person has got a specific interest. Some like to spend on booze, some on clothes, some on travelling, some on books, some on gadgets. So if you feel spending lavishly on something is unjustified, then some other person might have the same question about you also, for a different case (spending) though. See my point ?

BTW on a personal note, I really feel you should broaden your social involvement buddy. No offense. :)

You might be true for the first point. I guess I should just leave them at their wits and not bother.
Well, alright you win. People can spent on things they have a passion for. Live and let live. :p

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
facebook - don't participate
taking photos - stopped taking them for preserving memories, take them now for their own sake. for example, go camera less on treks, when everyone else keeps taking photos. Funny thing is looked at their albums, and all the albums of all the trekkers are exactly the same, whoever goes to the same location. focus more on people and things than stuff like nature. find it more important.
birthdays - don't celebrate my own, but wish and participate in others

religious traditions and practices - don't believe in it, but participate in them wholeheartedly to keep family and friends happy.

watches - they are like tiny living things with souls. there is so much work put into them, and the miniaturization and tech is the last remnants of a direction that mankind could have gone but didn't. There were clockwork portable music devices, clockwork dolls, and clockwork calculators, and even some programmable clockwork computers. If it were not silicon, perhaps we would have gone the clockwork way. But I can totally understand why somone would not be interested in them, especially with smartphones in pockets, which make them redundant.

one thing I really find pointless, but not fake are video games. While they are great at triggering some kind of Pavlovian response, figure at some point would want to go back to a simpler life.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
[MENTION=86068]dashing.sujay[/MENTION] : I think capturing memories is pointless. I wouldn't care if all my childhood photos are destroyed/ all my digital pics erased. This "nostalgia" factor is a deception of the mind to look back at old memories and feel happy even though the moment has already passed and the past absolutely bears no significance to the present. There is a total disconnect.

I also stand by my "birthday is useless" theory :p . Man attaches too much significance to himself when the fact of the matter is all of us will be dead in a few years time and 100 years later ur great grandchildren wont even bother to know who you were. Even if somebody becomes famous and all, he wont be there to cherish the adoration of the living :p . Again these are my POV and it is indeed interesting to see how different minds perceive different things.

Bhai aap to sansaarik moh-maaya se uth kar ho.

- - - Updated - - -

So, parents can be happy. We are not snatching anyone's reason to smile. We just want people to respect your choice of not celebrating your b'day. Last year I requested everyone on my team, not to bring a cake which seems a waste of time. But they didn't pay any heed. Today though, they accepted my request, and I was filled with rejoice. Thanks to them for respecting my wish.

You might be true for the first point. I guess I should just leave them at their wits and not bother.
Well, alright you win. People can spent on things they have a passion for. Live and let live. :p

You buddy, sometimes I feel, confine yourself too much to your defined limits. Give yourself some freedom. :)

amohit

Broken In
New year, Valentine's day, mother's day, father's day...in addition to FB, Religious customs & b'days.

Regards,
Mohit

Top Bottom