Status
Not open for further replies.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
ThermalRight Ultra 120 eXtreme
+ Panflow 120mm Ultra High speed

Product URL => *www.thermalright.com/a_page/main_product_ultra120_extreme.htm

Bought from => *www.sidewindercomputers.com/thulex.html

Got the Product today morning, wasted half the day behind it testing....

1st look, Packaging was good, made to suntained the Indian Post office rough handling...

*img530.imageshack.us/img530/7269/mainoq3.jpg

*img441.imageshack.us/img441/1056/heatsinkbf3.jpg

*img104.imageshack.us/img104/5117/cabbirg4.jpg

Installation

Installing the Heat Sink on Motherboard was pretty straight forward and quite easy !!! but the a pipe of the heat sink is touching the motherboard birdge cooler heat sink !!! :|

If u can see in the image (Sorry Digi Cam not available now so only option now is 1.3MP Mobile CAM) the Pipe is touching the heat sink of bridge cooler !!!

:(

*img530.imageshack.us/img530/3189/heatpipeoy8.jpg

But had tough time with few other things, Like I find it hard and confusing on Installing those 2 slim (Damn slim) rubber bands which are there fore anti vibration !!!

I also attaching the Fan with heat sink wasnt easy too... as u have to manage to attach the fan with simple 2 metal string !! so srew or such set up..... !!!

I had trouble fitting the mobo in to the cabbi also, as wight is a foctor so hard to handle the Mobo, freely as one can do with Intel Stock cooler installed !!!

Over all installation, I would give 2/5 ... not quite satisfied... but as u no, its a pro level product, one is expected to take that challange... !!!

Noise

though It says ultra High speed fan, but not that noisy at all !!!

Performance

So here comes the Main reason !!!

Hardware

E6600
P5N-E SLi
2 GB DDR-II 667MHz Transcend (I have 4 but as OCing high so removed 2, If incase)
XFX 6200 LE
2 x 250 GB SATA-II
80 GB SATA-I
80 GB PATA
DVD RW
DVD ROM
Floppy Drive
ColorSit 450 Watts

Software

Windows XP Pro SP2 uptodate

Set 1 said:
CoreTemp
CPU-Z
PC Wizered
ASUS Probe

Set 2 said:
Pi Calculator
2 Processes, 1 on each core

Set 3 said:
AutoGK
Nero Recode
NFS Most Wanted

How did I run Basic Tests ??

Set 1 for Temp and other settinsg monitoring...
Set 2 for Stability test on OC !!
Set 3 for Multi Tasking

Start with Stock (FSB @ 1066 / Rest Auto)

OC (FSB @ 1175 ... Procy @ 2.64 ... RAM @ 667 .. vcore @ 1.28 .. Rest @ Auto)

the Temps are 39c idle, on load 41/42c... System is running fine, All tests pass...

OC (FSB @ 1250 ... Procy @ 2.89 ... RAM @ 667 .. vcore @ 1.28 .. Rest @ Auto)

the Temps are 39c idle, on load 42/43c... System is running fine, All tests passed with ease...

OC (FSB @ 1500 ... Procy @ 3.4 ... RAM @ 750 .. vcore @ 1.32 .. Rest @ Auto)

OS booted up but failed the Pi Test, Hardware error, system halted !!! 1st i was tring with vcore 1.3, increased to 1.32 still same, so, Removed 2GB RAM, removed One 250GB and 80 GB SATA1 HDD.... still the same, but this time Pi is going to half way, then System becomes Non responsive...

So went little Back to this, with, 2 GB DDR-II and one 250GB with one 80GB HDD

OC (FSB @ 1450 ... Procy @ 3.29 ... RAM @ 667 .. vcore @ 1.32 .. Rest @ Auto .. Removed Hardware)

the Temps are 39c/40c idle, on load 44/45c... System is running fine, All tests passed with ease...

Idle

*img267.imageshack.us/img267/48/pc1xb6.jpg

Load with Pi Test

*img158.imageshack.us/img158/1626/pcxy3.jpg

Conclution

My hardware Didnt allow me to go higher than 3.29 GHz, there can be few reasons, but I suspect most obbious is the SMPS of 450 Watts !!! but also can be few more, like RAMs, or simply P5N-E SLi cant go beyond FSB 1500 ?? So wasnt able to give my proper thought in it, as now Running at 3.2GHz...

Will I recomend this to any one ??

Well to say this i need to compare few things on hand, which I cant, I only have Intel Stock Cooler and this one... as u can see either my Temp readings are wrong or Cooler at till 3.2 GHz keeps the temp same compare to the Stock Speed of 2.4 GHz, unless I can take it to a point where I cant go further because of heating issue, till then hard to comment...

But certainly if those Temp readings are right, in any case till 3.2 GHz i reached with my hardware, temps readding are same !!! :p

Any performace boost while overclocking ??

At multi Tasking no... with Stock 2.4 GHz AutoGK used to encode 4.1 GB VOB to 700MB xvid at around 45 to 55 mins, while I am running Nero to Recode one DVD to 1 CD, and playing NFS... result is more or less same even at 3.2GHz !!!!

Only noticible Diffrence is with Pi calculation (2M) between Stock 2.4GHz to OC 3.2 GHz !!!

Right now Little short in cash, so have to wait a little for that PSU !!!

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
Yup, the PSU is holding you back. I would suggest that you keep the RAM at its default values and just o'c your CPU. Get the max stable o'clock then do the same with your memory. When you reach the max for memory try to tighten the timings.
Basically just try to balance the whole overclock.
But good review..........installation of these cooler does takes some effort.
BTW, the package did include some thermal paste?

OP
Choto Cheeta

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
BTW, the package did include some thermal paste?

yeah, to my surpise the ThermalRight package inlcuded a lot of Thermal Pasting i just used 20 may be 25 % of it on CPU and on the back of the cooler, but still 80 % left :lol:

anyway, I didnt ordered the Thermal Paste :p it came by its own :lol:

But good review..........

Thnx for the comment !! :)

OP
Choto Cheeta

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
thnx for the comments !!! john_the_ultimate got another solid Cooler :p, lets hope we get another review of that from him too :)

By the way, 600 or 650 Watts PSU in Kolkata.... Give me some idea !!! :(

Hells_Fury

In the zone
A word about the position of the fan...It should be on the other side of the cooler, i.e. it should blow air across the cooler fins and out the back of the cabinet...The push configuration is more effective than the pull configuration.
Good review though, and yeah even I was impressed with the amount of thermal paste TR included in the package.

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
Saurav you can get Coolermaster eXtreme Power 600W for around 3-3.2K (don't know the current price). And yes put the fan on the other side as Hells_Fury has suggested. Also install the rear exhaust fan, will help in cooling.
As for my review, first let me do some more test, haven't got enough time. Will post later.

OP
Choto Cheeta

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
Hells_Fury said:
A word about the position of the fan...It should be on the other side of the cooler, i.e. it should blow air across the cooler fins and out the back of the cabinet...A word about the position of the fan...It should be on the other side of the cooler, i.e. it should blow air across the cooler fins and out the back of the cabinet...

Take a Look at this pic....

*img404.imageshack.us/img404/52/80053573mq4.jpg

As u see there is a 240v 120mm FAN right on top of the other side pulling Air Out !!! Wont that be enough ??

Good review though

Thanks !!! :)

Now put some light on 600 Watts or 650 Watts PSU, affordable PSU, those 7k PSU are really not affordable for me :(

Hells_Fury

In the zone
It would be better to use the side panel fan as intake and to install a rear exhaust fan. That would setup better airflow in your cabinet. An additional front intake fan would be ideal...

Regarding the PSU's, sorry cant help you. I dont really know much about them.

OP
Choto Cheeta

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
Saurav you can get Coolermaster eXtreme Power 600W for around 3-3.2K (don't know the current price).

OK challo got some advice !!! will look for that in Local Kolkata Market when having some cash in hand !!

Regarding the PSU's, sorry cant help you. I dont really know much about them.

No problem... thanx for the input regarding air flow though !!!

Tell me guyss, these 120mm fans doesnt cost that much... in some review Sites, they show putting 2 fans on both side of the Heat Sink !!!

??? how about that ??

BULLZI

Ambassador of Buzz
Choto Cheeta said:
OK challo got some advice !!! will look for that in Local Kolkata Market when having some cash in hand !!

No problem... thanx for the input regarding air flow though !!!

Tell me guyss, these 120mm fans doesnt cost that much... in some review Sites, they show putting 2 fans on both side of the Heat Sink !!!

??? how about that ??

there s stock of Coolermaster 600 Watt in Kolkata.
check out Velocity Computers.Mobile-9331858297.
bt the price will be a bit more than 3.2K

Hells_Fury

In the zone
Choto Cheeta said:

??? how about that ??
Doesnt really help that much. You can do it if you really want to but you wont find too much difference in temps. Also, mounting brackets and rubber strips are provided only for a single fan. You will have to find some other means to attach the second fan (Ive seen review articles using rubber bands :D )

OP
Choto Cheeta

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
OK... Cooler Master 600 Wattrs Model is therefor Rs. 3500 !!! Let me arrange some money to get one !!!

You will have to find some other means to attach the second fan (Ive seen review articles using rubber bands

even I found Attaching the Default Fan a headahe :lol: so till now I would stay away from thinking of 2nd fan...

but is there any way to get Those Metal Strings and Rubber Strips came with the box at local market ??

Hells_Fury

In the zone
Choto Cheeta said:
but is there any way to get Those Metal Strings and Rubber Strips came with the box at local market ??
Dont think so...But I think I saw the fan clamps selling separately at sidewinder. Not too sure about that.

Edit - Here you go: *www.sidewindercomputers.com/thflfanwiclf.html

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
Saurav, just install a rear fan that would act as the second fan throwing the hot air out of the cabby. But do move the persent fan to the other side of the cooler. Try this method if not satisfied, you can aslways get the extra clips from the link Hells_Fury had given.

OP
Choto Cheeta

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
Saurav, just install a rear fan that would act as the second fan throwing the hot air out of the cabby. But do move the persent fan to the other side of the cooler.

Will open the cabbi for Changes once I get the new SMPS...

there is a problem... See from the pict, TR Ulta left very little room between it self a the present SMPS... I am afraid may be the Cooler Master 600 Watts wont fit in along side of the TR Ultra :(

Hells_Fury said:
Dont think so...But I think I saw the fan clamps selling separately at sidewinder. Not too sure about that.

Edit - Here you go: *www.sidewindercomputers.com/thflfanwiclf.html

Shiping charges are really high :( but thank you for the URL... atleast will be handy when needed :D

@Vishal

Thanks for the comment !!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom