There Is An App For That - Ask Us !

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dude this is great suggestion. I have been using this for more than a week now. There are no ads in this. The app is slightly slow sometimes, but it works great mostly. Damn I was using horrible security app until now.
A cousin of mine once asked me to find an app locker & having experience with CM app locker I thought of trying something new & norton instantly caught my attention.Usually apps from big/famous security companies(excl avast maybe) are without ads as ads may have a security risk/annoying effect & main purpose of these free apps is to advertise their paid AVs/security products on desktops/windows so good impression is very important.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
A cousin of mine once asked me to find an app locker & having experience with CM app locker I thought of trying something new & norton instantly caught my attention.Usually apps from big/famous security companies(excl avast maybe) are without ads as ads may have a security risk/annoying effect & main purpose of these free apps is to advertise their paid AVs/security products on desktops/windows so good impression is very important.
Thanks for the info, really handy. Those ads were really irritating, I was getting tired of the apps and their stupid UI. I wanted to give 10likes for your post but I cant. And May be I will try app locks from other big brands too.

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
Any Music playing application for technologically challenged older people ? Or a app with a super duper customizable interface that can be tamed to be old people friendly ?

My perfect app: list of large folders/albums. Tap folder to play music instantly. Show play pause , next, previous buttons. That's it.
No 'Now playing' view. No screen jumping. No need to press back.

Any ideas?

Dr.Lakshay

Broken In
I know this thread doesn't focus much on rpi3. But does anyone here know of any software for rpi3 with which I can stream soundcloud from phone just like we do on chromecast?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Dr.Lakshay

Broken In
I know this thread doesn't focus much on rpi3. But does anyone here know of any software for rpi3 with which I can stream soundcloud from phone just like we do on chromecast?

Well found it. Was using music box for long but wasn't able to stream soundcloud. Found the right app to do so.

Dr.Lakshay

Broken In
So was it music box & you missed that option.
Yes. Rpi3 os still is musicbox. Just had to download a new app on my android phone - my cloud player.
Though it is not as good as soundcloud app streaming on Google chromecast but yes it works.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Since whitestar_999 suggested an app Norton App Lock, it proves that there are so many good apps which surprisingly are still unknown. Keeping this in mind, I hope I can get an app suggestion for some alternatives, which I desperately need:

Alternative to ShareIt: Boy this chinese app have become so crap. With NSFW video thumbnail and bloat I so want to move away from it. But there doesn't seem to be an app as easy and reliable as ShareIt for data transfer between two Android phones.

File manager with FTP functionality: Currently I have to use a separate FTP app which seems to be quite unstable. Keeps disconnecting while copying files. ES File explorer was a nice app. But like ShareIt, it also became extremely bloat. So I started to use Solid File explorer (even paid version). And while it's extremely good file manager, it lacks hosting the files on FTP (while it can connect to any FTP location).

A good text editor: I thought Notepad++ which I found on Android must be as good as desktop. But I think it's from a different developer, and it have ads, unnecessary permissions and you cant even remove ads by donating.

An app that allows taking screenshot: This is for my dad's new phone ASUS Zenfone Max Pro M1. It lacks a software mechanism to take a screenshot, and my dad finds it difficult to take screenshot using hardware key combo shortcut, not to mention using hardware buttons is injurious to the health of the phone.

OP
sling-shot

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
MiXplorer by Hootanparsa on XDA Developers has been very good for me as a filemanager + FTP host.

TrebleShot (open source) might work as an alternative to ShareIt. It still needs improvement for ease of use I guess.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Since whitestar_999 suggested an app Norton App Lock, it proves that there are so many good apps which surprisingly are still unknown. Keeping this in mind, I hope I can get an app suggestion for some alternatives, which I desperately need:

Alternative to ShareIt: Boy this chinese app have become so crap. With NSFW video thumbnail and bloat I so want to move away from it. But there doesn't seem to be an app as easy and reliable as ShareIt for data transfer between two Android phones.

File manager with FTP functionality: Currently I have to use a separate FTP app which seems to be quite unstable. Keeps disconnecting while copying files. ES File explorer was a nice app. But like ShareIt, it also became extremely bloat. So I started to use Solid File explorer (even paid version). And while it's extremely good file manager, it lacks hosting the files on FTP (while it can connect to any FTP location).

A good text editor: I thought Notepad++ which I found on Android must be as good as desktop. But I think it's from a different developer, and it have ads, unnecessary permissions and you cant even remove ads by donating.

An app that allows taking screenshot: This is for my dad's new phone ASUS Zenfone Max Pro M1. It lacks a software mechanism to take a screenshot, and my dad finds it difficult to take screenshot using hardware key combo shortcut, not to mention using hardware buttons is injurious to the health of the phone.

File manager- Good ol' X-Plore

For the other two you need to select yourself as there are tons of good options available.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
@Vyom try these:
*play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jaredco.screengrabber8
*play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.anhlt.sniptool&showAllReviews=true
Also I read in an article that google assist can also do this."Simply long press the home button for Google Assistant or the Bixby button for Bixby (on Samsung devices). From there, just ask it to take a screenshot."

Try TotalCommander app,it has ftp plugin too.I have used its lan access plugin for accessing shared windows folders from mobile & that worked fine.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
For FTP server apps try these:
*play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.xnano.android.ftpserver&hl=en

This one is actually Indian(creator address Hyderabad) *play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.medhaapps.wififtpserver

billubakra

Conversation Architect
For FTP server apps try these:
*play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.xnano.android.ftpserver&hl=en

This one is actually Indian(creator address Hyderabad) *play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.medhaapps.wififtpserver
What is the difference between apps like these and say wifi file transfer? Can these apps send files to and from the memory card?

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
FTP is different protocol,it is not a simple file sharing app.Basically if you don't know about it then most likely you don't need it either.

Top Bottom