There Is An App For That - Ask Us !

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is there something that can do a total backup of my apps and restore them on a new ROM? I am thinking of installing Pixel Experience on my POCO F1 and need something to smoothen the app transfer process.
Without root you can't backup app data but keep in mind it will break latest versions of many banking/upi apps. Titanium backup is the recommended backup solution on android I think.
@SaiyanGoku

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Without root you can't backup app data but keep in mind it will break latest versions of many banking/upi apps. Titanium backup is the recommended backup solution on android I think.
@SaiyanGoku
Due to apps getting bigger and being converted to split apkm, restore app doesn't works for all of them. Best option is to backup using Titanium Backup and when required, redownload the app from playstore and restore data before opening the app.

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
Is there something that can do a total backup of my apps and restore them on a new ROM? I am thinking of installing Pixel Experience on my POCO F1 and need something to smoothen the app transfer process.
For non rooted devices full backup is a very difficult job.

Manual app data backup is the only thing you can do.

You can skip backup of login-based apps like telegram, Facebook, UPI apps, to-do apps, note taking apps, games and system apps etc.

Non-login apps data and setting,
messenger apps like WhatsApp etc.
video players like MX Player, VLC etc.
file managers like MiXplorer, FX File Explorer etc.
which have backup and restore options in settings.

Things to do creating proper backups in Stock ROMs

• Keep Mobile Data/Wi-Fi Turned "ON"
  • Download and install these apps required for Backup and Restore
    • File Manager -
      • MiXplorer - [APP][2.2+] MiXplorer v6.x Released (fully-featured file manager)
All Add-ons - addons – Google Drive
  • FX File Explorer - FX File Explorer - Apps on Google Play
  • Or any other file manager
  • File Compressor -
    • ZArchiver - ZArchiver - Apps on Google Play
    • Or any other zip/rar/7zip compressor
    • Or any file manager which supports file compression
  • Backup App -
    • Super Backup & Restore - Super Backup & Restore - Apps on Google Play
    • Or any other backup app which backups Apps, Contacts, SMS, Call Logs, Bookmarks, Calendars backup.
    • Or any file manager which supports these functions.
  • Take a screenshot of the
    • "Home Screens" - for apps placements, widgets, quick action panel, shortcuts etc.
    • "App Drawer" and "Settings>Apps>Installed Apps" - using the "Scroll" feature.
    • "App>Settings" if there is no backup and restore option in app settings OR in case you forget some settings.
    • Other settings you would like.
  • Turn on "Auto Sync".
Click on "Sync Now" in "Settings>Accounts"
  • Take Google backup "Settings>Google>Backup>Backup Now" (Wait till it gets completed)
  • Backup Non-Play Store apps.
Backup other "apk" files which are not available in Google Play Store.
  • Backup using MiXplorer (simple copy paste method) OR use any other app you like.
Super Backup & Restore - Apps on Google Play
(Advice - don't backup apps available on Google Play Store for users with internet connection)
  • Always keep non play store apps website bookmarked. So it will be easy to download and install updates later.
  • "Leave as it is/Clear Data/Uninstall" apps in alphabetical order (it is the easiest and most effective way)
    • "Leave as it is/Clear Data/Uninstall" apps without a Backup & Restore Settings -
      • Apps like Amazon, Facebook, UPI apps, etc only required username and passwords.
      • Note it down OR use a password manager like Bitwarden.
      • Then "Leave as it is/Clear Data/Uninstall".
    • "Leave as it is/Clear Data/Uninstall" apps with a Backup & Restore Settings -
      • Apps which support backup of "Settings" and "App/User data", backup them manually OR any cloud backup OR Google drive backup.
      • Some "System" apps have "Backup and Export" options. Mostly "Cloud Sync" option available.
      • WhatsApp -
        • Turn on "Aeroplane Mode" (so no new messages)
        • Take a "Local Backup" (always cloud backup is messy, takes time)
        • Select "Backup Now"
        • Make a "WhatsApp.zip" file of the "WhatsApp" folder
        • "WhatsApp.zip" file will be transferred faster compared to the "WhatsApp" folder consisting of a large number of small sized files. Otherwise, it will take too much time transferring.
        • Use this app or any file manager - ZArchiver - Apps on Google Play
        • Then "Leave as it is/Clear Data/Uninstall" WhatsApp.
      • CamScanner -
        • Sign in with an account and sync to cloud storage. (local backup feature not available)
        • Make a "CamScanner.zip" file of the "CamScanner" folder
        • "CamScanner.zip" file will be transferred faster compared to the "CamScanner" folder consisting of a large number of small sized files. Otherwise, it will take too much time transferring.
        • Then "Leave as it is/Clear Data/Uninstall" CamScanner.
      • All Other Apps -
        • Backup locally or backup/sync using cloud
        • Create ".zip" file if required OR transfer it to Computer/Laptop directly.
      • File Manager - Mostly all file managers have "Backup" & "Restore" options in settings. Skip uninstalling File Manager, it may be required if necessary.
  • Backup Contacts, SMS, Call Logs, Calendar.
    • For Google Devices, Stock Android Devices, Devices with Google Phone, Google Contacts, Google Messages, Google Calendar pre-installed
      • You may not need this backup.
      • Check each Google app “Settings” and sign in with Google account.
      • Use this app if you still want to backup all data for safety - Super Backup & Restore - Apps on Google Play
    • Other Devices, MIUI, Colour OS, etc
      • Use this app - Super Backup & Restore - Apps on Google Play
  • All above backed up files are stored locally. Transfer all data from Mobile to Computer/Laptop OR Memory Card OR Pen Drive OR Hard Disk etc.
    • Create a folder named "Backup Mobile Model DD/MM/YY" on the Computer/Laptop.
    • Start Cut and Paste, directory folders, one folder at a time, from Mobile directory to Computer's "Backup Mobile Model DD/MM/YY" folder
    • Skip "Android" folder. (Only backup if you know how to restore it)
      • Apps – Some “App Data” is downloaded from "App Server” mostly saved in this folder. (Backup it if you don’t want to download later, later restore it to original location)
      • Games – Some “Game Data” is downloaded from "Game Server” mostly saved in this folder. (Backup it if you don’t want to download later, later restore it to original location)
    • For MIUI devices -
      • Locate the "MIUI" folder in the device using the file manager.
      • Delete unwanted files and folders in the "MIUI" folder.
      • Then transfer this folder.
    • Delete unwanted files and folders (in main directory) not related to backup such as "Data", "Music", "Notifications”, “Subtitles" etc.
    • Double check remaining files folders.
  • Double check remaining Apps.
  • Done.

Last edited:

setanjan123

In the zone
For non root it's not there.
ADB methods are there but useless because you will be restoring to custom rom.

Manual app data backup is only thing you can do.
You can skip backup of login based apps like telegram, Facebook, UPI apps, games and system apps and others.
Remaining apps like WhatsApp, other apps, video players like MX player VLC, file managers like mixplorer, fx file manager etc etc which have backup and restore options in settings.

Things I do for backups in stock ROMs

1. turn on Auto Sync, click on sync now in settings>accounts

2. Take Google backup in settings>Google>backup>backup now

3. Take screenshot of home screen for apps placements, widgets I use, quick action panel shortcuts etc etc. And some other settings you would like.

4. backup those 3rd party "apk" files which are not available in play store I backup using Mixplorer (simple copy paste job)
Or if you want to backup all apks and don't want to redownload all apks then only skip "system apks"
Use system>apps>installed for more apks which you need
I use mixplorer (available on XDA) which have 5-6 extra add-ons apk which I backup manually.
I always keep non play store apps website bookmarked on computer.
Like Vanced, mixplorer, MX player custom codec etc etc. So it will be easy download later.

5. Uninstall apps in alphabetical order (it is the easiest and most effective way)
  • uninstall apps without backup - apps like Amazon, Facebook, UPI apps, etc etc only requires username and password (note it down or use password manager bitwarden)
  • uninstalling apps with backup - for apps like messaging - WhatsApp, dictionary, audio video players - MX, VLC, file managers - mix, fx, etc etc support backup of Settings and App data. I backup them manually and save backup file in file manger or cloud or Google drive backup.
I use local backup method for WhatsApp, but before backing up I turn on aeroplane mode (so no new message), then backup WhatsApp and after that uninstall WhatsApp and then I turn off aeroplane mode
  • some system apps have backup, export option like "notes" etc I use that if needed. mostly cloud sync available
  • I check settings>apps for remaining "installed" apps.
[I skip uninstalling file manager, if required later]

6. Then I backup contacts, sms, call logs, calenders.
For Google devices, stock Android and devices with Google phone, Google contacts, Google messages, Google Calendar you may not need this backup.
I use this app
*play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.idea.backup.smscontacts
All backed up files stored locally.

7. The. I transfer all data from mobile to computer (or memory card, pen drive)
Create a folder named "Backup" on computer.
And start cut - paste of all directory folders one by one in computer "backup" folder, skipping "Android" folder
For MIUI devices, there is "MIUI" folder I delete unwanted files first using device file manager and then I transfer this folder.
For large backup like WhatsApp folder I make zip file of it using
*play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ru.zdevs.zarchiver
Otherwise it will take too much time transferring.
I delete unwanted files and folders (in main directory) not related to backup such as "data", "music", "notifications","subtitles" etc etc
I transfer all local backups created by me from device storage like "super backup and restore" folder, camera folder "DCIM", screenshots folder "Pictures", documents download folders etc etc
After transferring all files and folders. I double check remaining files folders apps.
Done

8. For backup in custom ROM I use
Migrate - NG (available on XDA) best so far.
Migrate app on play store does not support Google app Backup.
*play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=balti.migrate

There is Swift Backup also with extra features.
*play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.swiftapps.swiftbackup

But migrate is best.

backup-apps:

Titanium Backup:
*play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.keramidas.TitaniumBackup

oandbackup:
*f-droid.org/en/packages/dk.jens.backup

OAndBackupX:
*f-droid.org/en/packages/com.machiav3lli.backup/
*github.com/machiav3lli/oandbackupx

Note: All of these backup apps require root/superuser permission to backup and restore.

9. Most UPI works including GPay on rooted device. Using magisk hide and magisk app hide.
For me all UPI (Bhim UPI) and all banking apps works
No guarantee if all these apps will work for you even having same device like me.
Thanks. Very Informative

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Updated my Pixel 6a to android 14 and found that swype won't work on it at all. Yes, I know that the app has been dead for even longer.
I'm looking for an alternative to it. Are there any better options than swiftkey?

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Swype app is long discontinued now. I too will have to see an alternative if and when I switch from LG G6. Which is sad cause I can swype fluent hinglish on it, as I have saved so many hinglish words!
Is Swiftkey not an good alternative?

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
Updated my Pixel 6a to android 14 and found that swype won't work on it at all. Yes, I know that the app has been dead for even longer.
I'm looking for an alternative to it. Are there any better options than swiftkey?
As you asked earlier too..
*play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.menny.android.anysoftkeyboard
*github.com/florisboard/florisboard
*play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=rkr.simplekeyboard.inputmethod

Wait I will update you with more.

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
Top Bottom