Theora 1.0 Video Codec Released

Status
Not open for further replies.

CadCrazy

in search of myself
The Xiph.Org Foundation has announced the 1.0 release of the Theora video codec. This leading free software video codec is free of patents and any royalties. As another win for open standards, Theora 1.0 will be integrated with full support into future releases of the Mozilla Firefox and Opera web-browsers.

The Theora 1.0 source package is put out under a 3-clause BSD license and also includes a 190 format specification. With Theora 1.0 now out the door, Xiph.Org and Red Hat are working together on a new next-generation encoder currently codenamed Thusnelda.

The press release announcing Theora 1.0 can be found at Xiph.Org. Additional information on the Theora video codec is available at Theora.org.

Source

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
Arey dono kyun lad rahe ho.. chalo aapas main gale milo :D.. nevertheless.. Ogg Theora looks promising.. i ripped a DVD in Theora format in Ubuntu and the results were pretty good.. not as good as H.264 though..

OP
CadCrazy

CadCrazy

in search of myself
Arey dono kyun lad rahe ho.. chalo aapas main gale milo :D.. nevertheless.. Ogg Theora looks promising.. i ripped a DVD in Theora format in Ubuntu and the results were pretty good.. not as good as H.264 though..

Aajkal gale milna bhi galat samajha jane laga hai. Aur vaise ye to hai bhi thora hila hua.

Check how version 1.0 is compared to H.264, Dirac if possible.

chandru.in

In the zone
Beyond the spec release what makes it a really great news is that two of the 4 major browsers are gonna support it. Esp since second most famous browser supports it, any site using the <audio> and <video> tags of HTML 5 will have to give it in theora too and that will make OGG and Theora a viable media format. A huge win for open formats if HTML 5 adoption is even moderately good. :)

On the other hand if IE decides to not support OGG and Theora, site may decide to continue with Flash based players to maintain browser portability of sites. :mad:

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
abe maine kuch mahine pehle ogg theora mein compiz fusion ka high-res video record kiya tha. Lagta hai ab sahi waqt aa gaya uskey istemaal karne ka.

IronManForever

IronMan; Ready to Roll...
With Theora 1.0 now out the door, Xiph.Org and Red Hat are working together on a new next-generation encoder currently codenamed Thusnelda.
yuck!! what a suckkyname for an encoder..:neutral:

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
^^
*www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thusnelda
*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thusnelda

What say about Totem or Grub ? :D

IronManForever

IronMan; Ready to Roll...
*www.urbandictionary.com/defin...term=Thusnelda
*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thusnelda
Aww. Roman History huh? I like all that stuff.. I really do. :)
T159 said:
What say about Totem or Grub ?
Totem sounds like Tottenham and am in love with the soccer team since it beat Liverpool.. :D
And, Ive lived with grub for 4 years now. :p

OP
CadCrazy

CadCrazy

in search of myself
abe maine kuch mahine pehle ogg theora mein compiz fusion ka high-res video record kiya tha. Lagta hai ab sahi waqt aa gaya uskey istemaal karne ka.

Tum chaho to main tumhe mental hospital ka address de sakta hun :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom