The Windows 8 Thread

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
I am not using any third party AV/IS. I have entrusted the job to defender this time and there were no issues so far.

Dont know if there are no virus attack or if defender is not capable of catching one. But for now, no issues :)

Makx

Game on
windows 8 cant install update KB2770917, tried manually downloading, secure boot and many other things.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Anyone using Kaspersky Internet Security 2013 here?

Looks like KIS 2013 has problems with Metro Apps.

I have gone through Various Windows 8 problems with apps - Kaspersky Lab Forum and other various threads. A simple google search reveals the thing.

I have already added them to Trusted group. Still they are not working. Anyone else facing the problem?

+2 .. have same problem with mine and dad's PC. I resolved it by uninstalling KIS in my PC :lol:, metro apps used to work in my dad's pc but I came to know the issue exists in that pc too.

also it seems the issue is related to MS live accounts. you can create a local account in your PC and run those apps.. it will work... Kaspersky should really lookinto this serious issue.

Yeah, I did the same. My friend bought it and I took a copy home. It got installed but it says please 'Activate' your Windows 8 using another product key, because this one is being used on another PC! What do I do?!?

gameranand

Living to Play
I am not using any third party AV/IS. I have entrusted the job to defender this time and there were no issues so far.

Dont know if there are no virus attack or if defender is not capable of catching one. But for now, no issues :)

Use a Third Party AV. Defender don't do $hit. :|

tkin

Back to school!!
The only problem is that it deletes first and informs me later. :|
A small change in settings, go to real time shields, select a shield, click expert settings, in the dialogue box select actions, configure for all 3 types, not all shields can be configured.
*i47.tinypic.com/35d6z5y.jpg

Yeah, I did the same. My friend bought it and I took a copy home. It got installed but it says please 'Activate' your Windows 8 using another product key, because this one is being used on another PC! What do I do?!?
You can't just take a copy like that, you have to buy a new one. :lol:

But why? Then how is anybody supposed to use the '5' licenses?!
When I re-enter the Product Key for activation, it says 'This key has exceeded its unlock limit', which is completely untrue, as only my friend has used it ONCE, so 4 licenses remain!
Please help!

tkin

Back to school!!
But why? Then how is anybody supposed to use the '5' licenses?!
When I re-enter the Product Key for activation, it says 'This key has exceeded its unlock limit', which is completely untrue, as only my friend has used it ONCE, so 4 licenses remain!
Please help!
Does win 8 allow the 5 keys to be used simultaneously? I think not, I think it allows you to activate your PC 5 times in total if you ever do an upgrade, not 5 concurrent activation on widely different hardware, do not use the key further, doing so will flag it as stolen and will give your friend a hard time: Making sense of Microsoft's confusing Windows activation rules | ZDNet

But why would anyone want to upgrade it 5 times?
And then why does it say on the Microsoft site 'Upgrade upto 5 devices'!!!
Do u have any solution for me?
Thanks a lot...

tkin

Back to school!!
But why would anyone want to upgrade it 5 times?
And then why does it say on the Microsoft site 'Upgrade upto 5 devices'!!!
Do u have any solution for me?
Thanks a lot...
Nope, get a genuine copy.

And upgrade means formatting, one could upgrade the hdd, relocate OS to another partition, rma a defective drive etc, so 5 times ain't much, I have to reinstall OS twice every year without any issue

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Well, I have KIS 2013 installed, still Action Center shows the AV and Firewall issues. This was not happening before. But when I uninstalled KIS and reinstalled it, the issue came..

Screenshot by Lightshot

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
the headphone jack/port on my laptop has stopped working under windows 8. has anybody else faced this issue? any solutions?

monkey

Padawan
Just FYI: Windows 8 upgrade offer has been extended to Feb 28 from 31st Jan. So this means adaption rate of Win 8 is much slower than what Microsoft had expected.

tkin

Back to school!!
Just FYI: Windows 8 upgrade offer has been extended to Feb 28 from 31st Jan. So this means adaption rate of Win 8 is much slower than what Microsoft had expected.
Yeah, cause no one will buy win 8 for $199 :p

tkin

Back to school!!
^ It could be the exact opposite as well, though its more likely to be what you said.
Just get this scenario, win 7 with a fully functional loader is roaming the web and ain't no way MS could stop that, so if they price Win 8 @ $199 everyone who even though of Win 8 will go back to Win 7.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Just get this scenario, win 7 with a fully functional loader is roaming the web and ain't no way MS could stop that, so if they price Win 8 @ $199 everyone who even though of Win 8 will go back to Win 7.

Actually i was replying to the post above yours.. You hadn't posted by then :D

Yes, thats true. But a wouldnt a good amount of these licencees are OEMs/Organisations who cannot use the loader for obvious reasons?
Agree that 200$ is too high for a lot of people when Win7 works just fine and in mostly better in most areas presently.

Top Bottom