The Windows 8 Thread

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
^^ Your 8.1 license gets converted into a 10 license. Yeah to you should upgrade. There are many scripts available that can block tracking or remove bloat. I've been fairly happy with the upgrade both on laptop and desktop.

ariftwister

Truth Seeker
^^ Your 8.1 license gets converted into a 10 license. Yeah to you should upgrade. There are many scripts available that can block tracking or remove bloat. I've been fairly happy with the upgrade both on laptop and desktop.

There's a caveat !! He can't, if he upgrades a SL version!!

priyadarshi

Right off the assembly line
Recently I purchased a Dell Inspiron 5559 with 64 Bit Windows 10 Home Basic preinstalled. Microsoft and Dell included lots of bloats in this. Now I can't disable automatic update when connected to internet through LAN and bloatwares like cortana are a big headache. So I deleted all my partitions and tried to do a clean install Windows 10 Pro downloaded from Microsoft website using Media Creation Tool but i could not get the option to select Windows 10 Pro or enter the product key instead it installed Windows 10 Home Basic as the product key is embedded into the BIOS.
Now I want to know:
1. How to do a clean install with Windows 10 Pro without first installing Basic and then upgrade to Pro
2. How to get rid of these bloats/apps
3. Whether MS Office 2010 is supported or not
4. How to install 64 Bit Windows 7 Professional on this UEFI system. I tried the Legacy BIOS mode but it shows blue screen and the same disc installs on my desktop perfectly.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
1.Assuming you have a legitimate win 10 pro key,you have to create a file named ei.cfg & put it inside "sources" folder of win 10 boot media.Open notepad & type the following lines:
[EditionID]
Professional
[Channel]
Retail
[VL]
Then save the file as ei.cfg(remember to change the save as file option to "all files" from "text document files" in the save as dialogue window so notepad does not automatically add .txt to file name).

2.You can't unless you are willing to run various tools almost every month.In win 10 there is no official way to disable automatic updates when connected to internet via lan.You can use this tool created by shewolf of MDL:
wumt.zip - Google Driv

3.According to this,Yes:
*www.keynotesupport.com/windows/microsoft-windows-office-compatibility-chart.shtml

4.Installing Windows 7 on UEFI based computer | Ask the Core Tea

priyadarshi

Right off the assembly line
1.Assuming you have a legitimate win 10 pro key,you have to create a file named ei.cfg & put it inside "sources" folder of win 10 boot media.Open notepad & type the following lines:

Then save the file as ei.cfg(remember to change the save as file option to "all files" from "text document files" in the save as dialogue window so notepad does not automatically add .txt to file name).

2.You can't unless you are willing to run various tools almost every month.In win 10 there is no official way to disable automatic updates when connected to internet via lan.You can use this tool created by shewolf of MDL:
wumt.zip - Google Driv

3.According to this,Yes:
Microsoft Office & Windows Version Compatibility Chart

4.Installing Windows 7 on UEFI based computer | Ask the Core Tea

Thank you for your reply.

Top Bottom