the true color of blood...

what do you think

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

sabret00the

Youngling
whoa I'am getting sick at the discussion of BLOOD...feeling giddy....think it looks and feels good when inside...when outside the body...I feel like I'll throw up...
now jokes apart...I was of the notion that blood was of blackish red in color

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
BAD BLOOD IS BLUE.I think even deoxygenated blood is not perfectly blue,as a matter of fact it is more red than blue.

BLUE is the colour of our veins not blood.

Third Eye

gooby pls
Yes, certain body parts can turn blue from a lack of oxygen. People's lips sometimes turns blue because when the light is diffused by skin, the veins appear blue.Look up cyanosis for a better answer.The blue color appears when veins are seen through the skin. The color of the vein wall itself, contrast, and translucency are what give the appearance of blue.

It is a widely repeated error, one that has even shown up in university instruction. Deoxygenated blood is a dark and unmistakable shade of red.

The entire iron complex (the iron center, the phorphyrin, the imidazole of a histidine residue, and oxygen if present) is responsible for the red color, and shifts in the geometry around the metal center affects just what the color is. When there's no oxygen bound the iron center has a distorted tetrahedral pyramidal geometry, with the iron sitting a bit off of the plane of the porphyrin. Once oxygen binds, however, the iron adopts an octahedral geometry, and sits directly in the plane of the porphyrine (it's probably how close to the plane of the porphyrin the iron is that has the biggest effect on the color, as even small changes in the electronics of the porphyrin, a massive chromophore, could create shifts in color; but this is just conjecture on my part). Carbon monoxide binding to the iron center has the exact same effect, but as CO has a much higher binding affinity for iron that oxygen a greater percentage of the hemoglobin becomes bound, resulting in the even brighter color.

As a side note, porphyrins not bound to a metal are often a dark purple or green to black color (and are an absolute pain in the ass to work with), so that may explain why the color of the heme complex becomes darker as the iron moves out of the plane of the porphyrin.

Last edited:

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
Tech Genius said:
Yes, certain body parts can turn blue from a lack of oxygen. People's lips sometimes turns blue because when the light is diffused by skin, the veins appear blue.Look up cyanosis for a better answer.The blue color appears when veins are seen through the skin. The color of the vein wall itself, contrast, and translucency are what give the appearance of blue.

It is a widely repeated error, one that has even shown up in university instruction. Deoxygenated blood is a dark and unmistakable shade of red.

The entire iron complex (the iron center, the phorphyrin, the imidazole of a histidine residue, and oxygen if present) is responsible for the red color, and shifts in the geometry around the metal center affects just what the color is. When there's no oxygen bound the iron center has a distorted tetrahedral pyramidal geometry, with the iron sitting a bit off of the plane of the porphyrin. Once oxygen binds, however, the iron adopts an octahedral geometry, and sits directly in the plane of the porphyrine (it's probably how close to the plane of the porphyrin the iron is that has the biggest effect on the color, as even small changes in the electronics of the porphyrin, a massive chromophore, could create shifts in color; but this is just conjecture on my part). Carbon monoxide binding to the iron center has the exact same effect, but as CO has a much higher binding affinity for iron that oxygen a greater percentage of the hemoglobin becomes bound, resulting in the even brighter color.

As a side note, porphyrins not bound to a metal are often a dark purple or green to black color (and are an absolute pain in the ass to work with), so that may explain why the color of the heme complex becomes darker as the iron moves out of the plane of the porphyrin.

WOW man you know french,that's incredible.I mean seriously where did you find all this s***.

PLEASE spare us from the deatils.

OP
mayanks_098

mayanks_098

world is evil
Tech Genius said:

brilliant answer. i was looking for some good answer as this.

see i agree,but what im saying is that these are all theoritical things,this is what we read and know.

you are not getting me.
im NOT CLAIMING that venous blood is blue.any personal practical experiment?or you know anyone who researched on this topic?
im asking that apart from text book knowledge,does any body know more on this.
cause these things have weight.
no really,im a bio student(ug) and to me its intriguing

have you done any practical experiment on this dude?

P.S. what are you doing btw,i mean studies.

Third Eye

gooby pls
mayanks_098 said:
brilliant answer. i was looking for some good answer as this.

see i agree,but what im saying is that these are all theoritical things,this is what we read and know.

you are not getting me.
im NOT CLAIMING that venous blood is blue.
im asking that apart from text book knowledge,does any body know more on this.
cause these things have weight.
no really,im a bio student(ug) and to me its intriguing

have you done any practical experiment on this dude?

P.S. what are you doing btw,i mean studies.
Nope,my teacher told me.Shortly,we have to do all the blood work:twisted:.If i ask the same question in my university,they will throw me out.Doing B.tech in biotech.

OP
mayanks_098

mayanks_098

world is evil
oh man...
tabhi only we two are fighting over it
me also doing biotech
btech/mtech dual degree in biotech from jaypee,2nd year

you?

but i will surely ask.im searching on this and as soon as i get soome good matter ill consult them.
infact i already asked one lecturer in 1st sem but she said...no its red color only.

Nav11aug

In the zone
the only diff between venous blood and arterial blood is the degree of redness and darkness...

venous blood is very dark, almost as if sm blue pigment has been added to arterial blood, which is lil lighter in colour. I've seen both samples at school. :D

OP
mayanks_098

mayanks_098

world is evil
Nav11aug said:
the only diff between venous blood and arterial blood is the degree of redness and darkness...

venous blood is very dark, almost as if sm blue pigment has been added to arterial blood, which is lil lighter in colour. I've seen both samples at school. :D

you cant normally see venous blood coz if its in contact with oxygen it has become arterial blood from venous

OP
mayanks_098

mayanks_098

world is evil
^^ what i meant was that venous blood is deoxygenated form of arterial blood.

and thats oly inside the body.
once you get it out,it is mixed with oxygen and becomes oxygenated(arterial)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom