the true color of blood...

what do you think

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

mayanks_098

world is evil
It isn't a misconception, deoxygenated blood is blue, when the oxygen in the blood had been used by the muscles the blood is the deoxygenated and blue until it is pumped to the lungs where is makes contact with oxygen which turns it red again. which is why when you get a cut blood is red... because of the oxygen in the air
oxygenated blood carry 2 oxygen molecules, the (shape) of the molecules allows blue and green light to be absorbed and red light to be reflected hence giving it the red color. However, when the cell is fully deoxygenated then the conformation of the molecules allows light from the orange spectra to be absorbed and reflecting blue light giving blood a blue tinge.

any body for comments?
i need discussion not flaming and insulting others.pour in your views and let others do the same.

half people say its dark red half say its blue/purplish,even internet is divided on this.
any body done a experiment/research on this personally and practically. i mean not just theoritical

thanks

Bump

Last edited:

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Yeah it has both colors. And may be its Haemoglobin thats responsible for its spectra.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
the blood in veins! almost blue colour.. did anyone forget to mention that??! i'm in for it! deoxygenated blood is blue...

Gigacore

Dreamweaver
why not yellow? :D

GOOD INFO, REALLY I DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT THIS, coz i'm a technical student. thanks,

BUT IS THERE anyway to see the blood in blue color?

OP
mayanks_098

mayanks_098

world is evil
Intel_Gigacore said:
why not yellow? :D

GOOD INFO, REALLY I DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT THIS, coz i'm a technical student. thanks,

BUT IS THERE anyway to see the blood in blue color?

not really,@least i dont know.
this is still a debated issue(i found this on net that people are always engaged in discussion)

ill try to search and find out,if i get ill let ya kno

~Lil JinX~

*Basket Case*
Oxygenated blood is actually BRIGHT RED, because of the oxygenated iron-containing hemoglobin found in the red blood cells. Deoxygenated blood is a darker shade of red, which can be seen during blood donation and when venous blood samples are taken.

However, due to skin pigments, blood vessel coverings and an optical effect caused by the way in which light penetrates through the skin, veins typically appear blue in color. This has led to a common misconception that venous blood is blue before it is exposed to air. Another reason for this misconception is that medical charts always show venous blood as blue in order to distinguish it from arterial blood which is depicted as red on the same chart. The skin itself can also get a bluish coloration when blood flow is reduced, such as in cold conditions; this is given the name cyanosis.

Source: Wikipedia

Are we done? How can anyone debate about something where there is no issue to really "debate" about.

OP
mayanks_098

mayanks_098

world is evil
~Lil JinX~ said:
Oxygenated blood is actually BRIGHT RED, because of the oxygenated iron-containing hemoglobin found in the red blood cells. Deoxygenated blood is a darker shade of red, which can be seen during blood donation and when venous blood samples are taken.

However, due to skin pigments, blood vessel coverings and an optical effect caused by the way in which light penetrates through the skin, veins typically appear blue in color. This has led to a common misconception that venous blood is blue before it is exposed to air. Another reason for this misconception is that medical charts always show venous blood as blue in order to distinguish it from arterial blood which is depicted as red on the same chart. The skin itself can also get a bluish coloration when blood flow is reduced, such as in cold conditions; this is given the name cyanosis.

Source: Wikipedia

Are we done? How can anyone debate about something where there is no issue to really "debate" about.

yeah,i knew some one would post this answer sooner or later.
a typical internet browsed answer.
every other person also thinks the same.
actually many places i have reed de-oxy Hb to be bluish/purple and hence.
many people say what you have written.
its not that its like what majority says.
and regarding that blood donation thing,when you donate blood,there is air present in the collecting tube and bottle/bag.

so...?

~Lil JinX~

*Basket Case*
While mammalian blood is never blue, there is a rare condition (sulfhemoglobinemia) that results in green blood. Skinks in the genus Prasinohaema have green blood due to a buildup of the waste product biliverdin.

That should explain things further, a bit? I didn't get the second part of your query.

yeah,i knew some one would post this answer sooner or later.
a typical internet browsed answer.
every other person also thinks the same.
What the heck is the internet for then, dude? :p Wikipedia is the fastest way to an answer, although I admit it isn't the most accurate. It usually suffices in 75% of cases though.

OP
mayanks_098

mayanks_098

world is evil
~Lil JinX~ said:
That should explain things further, a bit? I didn't get the second part of your query.

i meant while donating blood,there are not proper vacuum conditions.air is always present.so it "can" get red when in contact with air

blackpearl

The Devil
Blood is red because that's what we see when we cut ourselves. It doesn't matter what it looks under the microscope. See what bood looks like under microscope.

*images.google.com/images?hl=en&cli...5p&q=blood+under+microscope+&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi

OP
mayanks_098

mayanks_098

world is evil
blackpearl said:
Blood is red because that's what we see when we cut ourselves. It doesn't matter what it looks under the microscope. See what bood looks like under microscope.

*images.google.com/images?hl=en&client=opera&rls=en&hs=Y5p&q=blood+under+microscope+&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi

who said anything about the blood you are reffering to?
i said for venous blood.
that blood whch you mentioned is of course red

Third Eye

gooby pls
First of all,hemoglobin can't turn blue!!!! :lol:

Human blood is red, ranging from bright red when oxygenated to dark red when not. It owes its colour to hemoglobin, a metalloprotein compound containing iron in the form of heme, to which oxygen binds. There exists a popular misconception that deoxygenated blood is blue and that blood only becomes red when it comes into contact with oxygen. Blood is never blue, but veins appear blue because light is diffused by skin. Moreover, the blood inside is dark red and exhibits poor light reflection. From a physiological perspective, veins and arteries appear similar when skin is removed and are seen directly.

Last edited:

blackpearl

The Devil
mayanks_098 said:
who said anything about the blood you are reffering to?
i said for venous blood.
that blood whch you mentioned is of course red

You see the same red blood, whether it's from the arteries or the vein, just different shades.

Like Tech Genius explained, non oxygenated blood is dark red whereas oxygeneted blood is bright red. The veins with the dark red blood appears blue because lack of transperancy of the blood and the way light is absorbed by the skin. Arteries on the otherhand are embedded deeper in the skin and cannot be seen from outside. If you were able to see arteries from outside the skin they would have appeared blue too.

I don't know from where these people come up with such weird theories?

PS. By the way, when you cut yourselves its often the venous blood not artery blood, beacause like I said vein are closer to the skin and the first thing that a blade encounters when you cut it. When you donate blood or give blood smaples for medical testing, they plunge the needle into your vein not the artery.

Last edited:
OP
mayanks_098

mayanks_098

world is evil
blackpearl said:
You see the same red blood, whether it's from the arteries or the vein, just different shades.

Like Tech Genius explained, non oxygenated blood is dark red whereas oxygeneted blood is bright red. The veins with the dark red blood appears blue because lack of transperancy of the blood and the way light is absorbed by the skin. Arteries on the otherhand are embedded deeper in the skin and cannot be seen from outside. If you were able to see arteries from outside the skin they would have appeared blue too.

I don't know from where these people come up with such weird theories?

PS. By the way, when you cut yourselves its often the venous blood not artery blood, beacause like I said vein are closer to the skin and the first thing that a blade encounters when you cut it. When you donate blood or give blood smaples for medical testing, they plunge the needle into your vein not the artery.

what point are you making bro.
see,i havent done any personal experiment neither have you.what you are saying is what you generally read on internet and books.and many times they are proved wrong.even well established facts are sometimes proven wrong.there was a time when no one believed that landing on moon is possible,they said its foolish but it happened.so you never know.
i just want correct answer.im also searching for it
or tell me if you have done a experiment on it.
and when you cut your skin your veins bleed fine,but that blood comes in contact with air(& hence o2) and regains its red color.

what you are saying is conventional theory.

what im saying is out of these facts.i want the correct answer not that ki we know its red so its red.

ok tell me,when oxygen supply is less/restricted in a part of body due to any accidnt or something.why does that part appear blue?

and when you die why do your lips turn blue if they are already red?thats because oxygen content gets reduced in blood and hence it becomes blue.thats what i think.
you say
any answer?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom