The Sony Playstation 2 Guide Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

skippednote

M3TAL H3AD M3
Well,
Now and then there are questions and query's about Sony Playstation 2(PS2), so i have created a new thread were you can address all the problems related to your Playstation 2.

The current and the latest model Of Sony Playstation 2(PS2) is SCPH-90006. The current price of this rig is around 6.5k to 7.5k which entirely depends upon the region you buy it from.

I would like to post some details about the Sony Playstation 2(PS2) for those who don't have it's BASIC INFORMATION:-

The PS2 has ruled for around 10 years and has no match. Its successor was launched the Sony Playstation 3(PS3) which include high end graphics and a wirless six axis remote and much more like Blu ray . The Sony Playstation 2(PS2) is still getting the latest games so you don't need to worry for about next year or so.

The earlier version of Sony Playstation 2(PS2) was fatter and heavier than the the current Sony Playstation 2(PS2) slim edition which is available in three colours in the market-Black,Pink and White. The earlier version could be fitted with an hard drive inside the Rig which could store several games,music and Videos depending upon the hard drive capacity.However the new model of Sony Playstation 2(PS2) being slimmer than the earlier version cannot store a hard drive inside it so you can attach the hard drive externally.

The Sony Playstation 2(PS2) comes with the Console, a wired 12 button remote ,a Sony Playstation 2(PS2) adapter and a cable to connect it to the Television.However you can buy several other gears for your Sony Playstation 2(PS2) like a wireless remote for tangless gaming, a guitar for playing Guitar Hero, Itoy and several other add ons. You can even add a Computer keyboard and a mouse which have Sony Playstation 2(PS2) connectors.

The latest Sony Playstation 2(PS2) games are
Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock
Publisher: RedOctane Developer: Neversoft Entertainment
Platform: PS2 Genre: Puzzle
Score: 7.5 Release Date: 10/28/07

2 Naruto: Ultimate Ninja 3
Publisher: Namco Bandai Games America | Platform: PS2 | Genre: Action
score:

3 Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3
Publisher: Atari | Platform: PS2 | Genre: Action
release:
11/13/07

4 Guitar Hero: Aerosmith
Publisher: Activision | Platform: PS2 | Genre: Puzzle
release:
06/29/08

5 The Incredible Hulk
Publisher: Sega | Platform: PS2 | Genre: Action
score:

6 WWE SmackDown! vs. RAW 2008
Publisher: THQ | Platform: PS2 | Genre: Action
score:

7 Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES
Publisher: Atlus Co. | Platform: PS2 | Genre: Role-Playing
score:

8 Dokapon Kingdom
Publisher: Atlus Co. | Platform: PS2 | Genre: Role-Playing
release:
10/14/08

9 Alone in the Dark
Publisher: Atari | Platform: PS2 | Genre: Action
release:
06/23/08

10 Rock Band
Publisher: MTV Games | Platform: PS2 | Genre: Puzzle
score:8.0
Sourece=GAMESPOT
The other legendary Sony Playstation 2(PS2) games are God of War 1 and 2, Devil may cry,Recident evil, Grand theft auto Series and several others.

The PS2 can read both CDs and DVDs and is backward compatible with PlayStation games. The ability to play DVD movies was an added incentive for consumers to be able to justify purchasing the PS2 (the MSRP was US$300 in October 2000). The PS2 also supports PlayStation memory cards (for PlayStation game saves only) and controllers, although the memory cards only work with PS1 games and the controllers may not support all functions (such as analog buttons) for PS2 games.

The PS2's DualShock 2 controller is essentially an upgraded PlayStation DualShock; analog face, shoulder and D-pad buttons replaced the digital buttons of the original. Like its predecessor, the DualShock 2 controller has force feedback, which is commonly called the "vibration" function. The standard PlayStation 2 memory card has an 8MB capacity and uses Sony's MagicGate encryption. This requirement prevented the production of memory cards by third parties who did not purchase a license for the Magicgate encryption. The memory card can store PlayStation game saves, but PlayStation games cannot read from or write to the card - it can only be used as a backup.
The console also features USB and IEEE 1394 expansion ports. Compatibility with USB and IEEE 1394 devices is dependent on the software supporting the device. For example, the PS2 BIOS will not boot an ISO image from a USB flash drive or operate a USB printer, as the machine's operating system does not include this functionality. By contrast, Gran Turismo 4 is programmed to save screenshots to a USB mass storage device and print images on certain USB printers. A PlayStation 2 HDD can be installed in an expansion bay on the back of the console, with some exceptions

Sorce=WIKIPEDIA
Hope this thread would be helpful to several gamers
Please post your questons and queries. Don't mind in reporting any mistakes all of your posts would be entertained.

Thanks

Last edited:

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Hello.I guess we already have an official thread already created for it.

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86378&highlight=The+official+Sony+Playstation+2+thread

napster007

Padawan
ok...i have a question here abt what u said.

You have said above that i can connect a keyboard and a mouse to a PS2. Is that true? can i play my fps games with a mouse and a keyboard???

if its possible it will be great!!!

napster007

Padawan
are u sure i can play all FPS games with the mouse and keyboard?? how much do they cost? are they available in delhi?

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
To tell you the truth not all games support the add-on keyboard & mouse support.My friend had once mentioned that he was successful in getting Need For Speed Most Wanted configured with his Microsoft USB keyboard.But nothing more than that.

@Captain Neo: Have you personally tried this out with any particular game?

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
I just want to know, is there any sellers selling ps2 games and addons online. Who will send us in a V.P.P? Please tell me if any one knows i need it.

channabasanna

In the zone
Hi All,

I have few queries about PS2.

1. Does PS2 support viewing divx, avi, files?
  2. Also can i play my mp3 discs in it?
  3. Does VCD movies run in the console?
  4. What about DVD movies, should that be region free?
  5. When buying the console, what should i look into buying, what region discs does PS2 support in India?
  6. How much memory does PS2 support, Can we connect a 40GB USB Hard disk to it?
  7. Do we get any games along with the Package?
  8. Can i connect the PS2 to my Viewsonic 19" LCD Display?
  9. How will be the clarity, resolution in the normal 25" Color TV?

If VCD's, MP3, Divx files and DVD's run fine then i am ready to buy the console, as i gave my VCD Player to my cousin.

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Does PS2 support viewing divx, avi, files?
Yes it does.With the use of a software DVD called SMS Player it supports Divx & Xvid files.
Also can i play my mp3 discs in it?
Yes.Again using SMS Player.
Does VCD movies run in the console?
AFAIK no.Not sure if it even supports burned raw .dat files.
What about DVD movies, should that be region free?
Both single & dual layer DVD movies are supported with full DTS 5.1 sound.The region coding only applies if you have a non-modded console.For a modded console it doesn't matter.
When buying the console, what should i look into buying, what region discs does PS2 support in India?
You mean along with the standard bundle pack? One additional Dual Shock controller & 8MB Magic Gate memory card.PS2 officially supports PAL 50Hz DVD's in India since we lie in the Asian region.
How much memory does PS2 support, Can we connect a 40GB USB Hard disk to it?
Officially Sony retails a maximum of 8MB memory cards.Though I have seen sizes of around 128MB memory cards being sold on Amazon.Not sure if they are fully compatible or not.You can attach a external USB HDD but it won't allow you to save game saves to it as an alternative to it's memory card.You can use it for booting off games though, A procedure which is very complicated & lengthy.
Do we get any games along with the Package?
With the official one, NO.With the modded ones perhaps you can ask for some free titles from the store itself.
Can i connect the PS2 to my Viewsonic 19" LCD Display?
Yes if you have a TV Tuner card then it can be connected via the Composite AV cables but trust me the clarity would be very dull on an LCD as opposed to a CRT TV.
How will be the clarity, resolution in the normal 25" Color TV?
The best.It is & was made for a Television only.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom