The secret of Bill Gates' success

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still DOS was chosen over it. Still IBM chose to go paid than Free. What does that say about DOS' capabilities? It was frigging better!
dude, you are utterly <edited>.
You were the one who tried to act over smart and put Unix in the bracket, if you read your own post you might realize what you conveyed was different from what you wanted to. So first re-read your posts then come back.
DOS and Linux originally had the same damn objective
give something cheap instead of asking guys to buy unix, which was a rip off.
But Linux came AFTER DOS. It was better, faster, stronger, etc etc, but it took time to come and become stable. Which was around 1994. By then, contracts were ALREADY SIGNED for windows.
Linux was CLI only till Win95 came. Today, despite of so many devs Linux feels incomplete & sevearly lacks good management.
Ever heard of X Window Managers ?
And incomplete ?
Where are you from ? (yo)Ur(-)anus ?
Linux is the most feature rich operating system I have ever seen in my whole life. Why do you think I shifted to linux ? It was historically because windows lacked most basic features like automatic compiling.
The secret of Bill Gates' success: Hit the iron when hot! He captured the market when it was ripe and devoid of many choices! Thats a true businessman.. no wonder he is so successful in life today :) There is a lot to learn from him...

FYI, the earliest WM was I think XWM which existed in 1980s, much before DOS! This WM is still used on GNU/Linux distros today. A couple of WMs seen in the Linux are existent since 1992 or so. The first barebones Linux which came outta Linus' computer may not haf had a GUI but as soon as Linux was adopted as a kernel, it had a GUI during the dayz of Windows 3.0.
+1

Last edited by a moderator:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Still DOS was chosen over it. Still IBM chose to go paid than Free. What does that say about DOS' capabilities? It was frigging better!

DOS and Linux originally had the same damn objective
give something cheap instead of asking guys to buy unix, which was a rip off.
But Linux came AFTER DOS. It was better, faster, stronger, etc etc, but it took time to come and become stable. Which was around 1994. By then, contracts were ALREADY SIGNED for windows.
For your and everyone's information the only reason why DOS was chosen at that time was there was no other alternative. UNIX was primarily a server OS and even if it was chosen the companies' had to pay a shamelessly huge amount as part of royalty (not exactly royalty but can be called so), while that for DOS was very very less. Paying 50k for using UNIX on a 10k computer is foolish even today. In layman's terms IBM infact chose the free OS (DOS) as against a paid one (UNIX)!

If people haf used DOS during the early dayz then they will realize how crappy OS it was. Until DOS 5.0 it was not worth using as a primary OS. But kudos to MS for improving it and bringing it to DOS 6.22. I remember the dayz when I used to do batch programming in DOS 6.0 and how I struggled to do something decent in versions prior to 5.0.

Ever heard of X Window Managers ?
The problem with the whole world out there is the misconception about "Linux" being an OS. It is NOT an OS. Linux is just a kernel while Fedora, openSUSE and Ubuntu are OS' and all 3 are different OS'. Generalization is the biggest mistake people make in GNU/Linux based OS'.

Last edited:

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
Good Management? Oh! You mean a single point of failure design like registry? Well I'm happy I don't have such a messy design in my OS. :smile:

That also makes it a Single Point of Backup , Just backup the registry and you're done .

Every design has it's advantages and pitfalls , it's upto you to decide which one you want .

Personally, I Use both Windows and Linux and Have recently Installed OpenSolaris . I find the Vista interface much more polished(it's the small things that make the difference) but the *NIX CLI extremely powerful once you get the hang of it and look at it from the Viewpoint of it's creators .

UNIX was an OS created by programmers for themselves , they never intended to get it into the public . So something that is seemingly obvious to them is totally obscure for us . If we make a sincere effort to understand the UNIX philosophy we will gradually see the story unfold with indisputable clarity and simplicity.

And with Distributions such as Ubuntu there certainly is a start .

chandru.in

In the zone
That also makes it a Single Point of Backup , Just backup the registry and you're done .

Not so true in my experience. I had tried to back up registry (before virus infection) and then restore it once when I had to re-install (a clean install) Windows due to virus. I thought restoring the registry from backup will bring back my settings (till last back up). But no it corrupted almost all my major apps (MS Office, Visual Studio, etc).

I had to re-install the OS and re-configure the system by hand. On Linux copying all .* files in my home directory restores all my settings perfectly well (I use it to setup the system exactly in same way on multiple computers).

... after which I'm sure MS will haf a tuff time!!!

+1

At least Gates knew something about technology from his hacking and cracking rented computer systems in school days.

Last edited:

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
Not so true in my experience. I had tried to back up registry (before virus infection) and then restore it once when I had to re-install (a clean install) Windows due to virus. I thought restoring the registry from backup will bring back my settings (till last back up). But no it corrupted almost all my major apps (MS Office, Visual Studio, etc).

I had to re-install the OS and re-configure the system by hand. On Linux copying all .* files in my home directory restores all my settings perfectly well (I use it to setup the system exactly in same way on multiple computers).

That requires a bit of knowledge of what to backup and what not .

You wouldn't blindly backup all the configuration files under the '/etc/' directory , now . would you ?

krates

Be CoOl rAp RuLeZ !!!
Arrey just shut up linux fanboys

windows is also free according to me (who pay's) :lol::lol:

Last edited:

krates

Be CoOl rAp RuLeZ !!!
changed to free

nor even anyone pays for windows nor pays for softwares everything is free ......

Last edited:

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
But one really cant deny the fact that MS is still the most sought after company when it comes to PC interfaces...Linux has yet to learn from Windows when comes to being user-friendliness.but i still dream of a Linux-MS merger.. :) ..aah..life...

chandru.in

In the zone
I guess i meant every configuration was stored at a 'single point'.

Oh so in regitry too I need to search through keys to determine which all I need to back up. In Linux too I need to search through config files and choose what I need. So no difference in this case.

But if I decide to backup every single setting I want on Linux, I'll go ahead and backup all /etc files and all .* files in my home directory. It will never ever break the system if I re-install the same version of say Ubuntu. But not so with Windows. I re-installed XP SP2 again and all major apps behaved crazy.

So registry can never be relied upon as a single point of backup.

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
But if I decide to backup every single setting I want on Linux, I'll go ahead and backup all /etc files and all .* files in my home directory. It will never ever break the system if I re-install the same version of say Ubuntu. But not so with Windows. I re-installed XP SP2 again and all major apps behaved crazy.

Please do so and then let me know if the apps work perfectly after replacing the /etc directory .

As far as i know a lot of hashes and keys are stored in the /etc folder and they will be different once you reinstall your OS so restoring the whole /etc directory will break some apps too .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom