The secret of Bill Gates' success

Status
Not open for further replies.

bikdel

Alpha Geek Banned
@iMav.. perhaps why i hate forums/emils?sms's so much is that people wont actually get the thing you are trying to express..
i was cheerful when i typed my post, now u make me sad!... why? because I myself am using windows as i Dont know all of the windows-alternatives that Linux provides. Though I am using OEM version, It has come in my cost and though Windows Is good.. I had to pay... started out on windows and I credit it for having helped me so much till date..
But neverthelees YOU HAVE TO PAY. yes, they do work, and have to be paid but Linux does the work well enough and you dont have to pay... And windows is not affordable for those who buy the non-OEM one..
And unless you buy a non-OEM one for your custom built pcs, those people who flaunt that they use original windows but are buying OEM version, arent doing anything legal/morally correct.
And I have called him a successful entrepreneur because he knew very well that it would sell; software. And that definitely doesnt make him a god for we masses who find it difficult to use the Retail version of up-to-date windows OS, but for other OSs like linux, its pretty much of not-an-issue.

Maybe my post was vague but I had many things to say and maybe I jumbled up the things but the message I wanted to share is there.. :)

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
@cuddcrazy
abe cute hi toh bola hai

India mein toh main hameesha hoon, aisa desh aur kaha :D
a world without boundaries is my vision :rolleyes:

praka123

left this forum longback
@chandru and @cadcrazy :very well said. In a world back 30 years,where softwares are not a paid thingy ,where innovations are shared,then comes the bill gates the monster who monopolized the IBM PC platform.he used software patents and what not to kill his rivals esp FOSS and Linux.
~~~edited :x

Last edited:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
And who the hell is this bill gate ?
What is his worth ?
What he has given to socity ? monopoLies, how to snatch money
Charity foundation ? to save tax
He is great because of his income :p
Yes he is visionary (money snatcher)

I have seen this only one time when i purchased my laptop but i can imagine about thousand(or millions) who everyday buy laptops or branded pc.
How did Microsoft become a "monopoly" ever thought of that? Why did IBM choose Bill's DOS over some crappy FOSS? Why? any answers? FOSS was free, IBM sure could have used FOSS than buying something? Why did they choose it? How did Windows become the most widely used OS? How? Wasn't FOSS there? Couldn't the companies choose a free alternative to a paid 1? I wonder why. The only reason to my mind is, it was frigging better than the crappy alternatives out there. The Linux you trumpet about came where it is because of Windows, Unix had a competitor to match up and catch up with. Windows set benchmarks in what an OS should be. It costs yes, but it set benchmarks, version after version, year after year.

But no you know what, Windows became the world's most widely used and every 9 out of 10 child's first ever used OS just like that.

chandru.in

In the zone
Why did IBM choose Bill's DOS over some crappy FOSS? Why? any answers? FOSS was free, IBM sure could have used FOSS than buying something? Why did they choose it?

It is not Bill's DOS. It is Tim Paterson's DOS. Microsoft was never capable of innovation even of that small scale. Also, Linux did not exist back then. If not IBM would have definitely chosen Linux as even its early design was far better than even Vista (DOS is no where near). :p

The Linux you trumpet about came where it is because of Windows,

It is just what you would like to believe. If not show me one authentic proof (Not the meaningless patent troll from Ballmer) that Linux owes its existence to Microsoft for so and so reasons.

Windows set benchmarks in what an OS should be. It costs yes, but it set benchmarks, version after version, year after year.

Well you use terms without knowing their real meaning I guess. Tell me one universal benchmark (MS's own benchmarks for its own OS does not count. They are created just for marketing) for OS evaluation which was set due to excellent performance by any version of Windows.

But no you know what, Windows became the world's most widely used and every 9 out of 10 child's first ever used OS just like that.

This has nothing to make Bill the God, it is called monopoly and yes Bill is a superb monopolist.

shantanu

Technomancer
peace guys.... go chillzzz .. iMAV : no help here :D ,

Chandru : its a very interesting read :D enjoy it man ... waise liked it :)

Last edited:

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
linux is a community effort that took the pace with the increased interconnectivity among members via internet.

back then internet was not that prevalent.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
I can only imagine what would happen if Ubuntu were to come out in the days of DOS, no net connection found. please connect to internet to download xcopy command features :lol:

uppalpankaj

Ambassador of Buzz
Bill Gates really revolutionized the software industry...But during that time the competitors were less and it was easier for anyone 2 establish a business...

In today's world, if anyone dares 2 launch an OS, the road ahead will b difficult...Why Windows survived because there was very less competition around and it was very good...The introduction of the concept of GUI in the OS was a great thing which really worked for MS...

Pat

Beyond Smart
I can only imagine what would happen if Ubuntu were to come out in the days of DOS, no net connection found. please connect to internet to download xcopy command features :lol:

LMAO! Linux (Unix) always had a better and more feature-rich command set than DOS! Go, get your facts right :D

casanova

The Frozen Nova
Great read. yes the competitors were less. Thats the best thing about starting early, being visionary. There's a quote on Sir Gates
In early 80's a man wanted to sell software on floppies and the world laughed at him. Now this man laughs on the world

So, it was not only vision, but faith on the vision as well that made him so big.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
LMAO! Linux (Unix) always had a better and more feature-rich command set than DOS! Go, get your facts right :D
Still DOS was chosen over it. Still IBM chose to go paid than Free. What does that say about DOS' capabilities? It was frigging better!

Pat

Beyond Smart
Still DOS was chosen over it. Still IBM chose to go paid than Free. What does that say about DOS' capabilities? It was frigging better!

Do you even read the posts that other people make ? Linux was not available at that time! Do you understand ya kisi aur bhaasha mein samjhau ? :p

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
You were the one who tried to act over smart and put Unix in the bracket, if you read your own post you might realize what you conveyed was different from what you wanted to. So first re-read your posts then come back.

Pat

Beyond Smart
You were the one who tried to act over smart and put Unix in the bracket, if you read your own post you might realize what you conveyed was different from what you wanted to. So first re-read your posts then come back.

Hello ? Did I ever mention anything about price ? You were the one who came up with the 'free' and 'paid' thing! And FYI, Unix was NOT free! Makes sense ?

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Linux was CLI only till Win95 came. Today, despite of so many devs Linux feels incomplete & sevearly lacks good management.

chandru.in

In the zone
Linux was CLI only till Win95 came. Today, despite of so many devs Linux feels incomplete & sevearly lacks good management.

1991 was when Linux was first created by a college student. In such a short time, it has gained such great level of advancement in terms of technology. DOS to XP is such a huge amount of time and I still find filesystem quirks like not being able to create so and so directories (nul, con, aux, etc). Can't comment on Vista as my work place has not yet forced it down my throat. :D

Good Management? Oh! You mean a single point of failure design like registry? Well I'm happy I don't have such a messy design in my OS. :smile:

The introduction of the concept of GUI in the OS was a great thing which really worked for MS...

The concept of GUI and mouse was conceived first by XEROX in their Palo-Alto Research center. Apple bought the technology from them and later Microsoft copied it.

Last edited:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
The secret of Bill Gates' success: Hit the iron when hot! He captured the market when it was ripe and devoid of many choices! Thats a true businessman.. no wonder he is so successful in life today :) There is a lot to learn from him...

FYI, the earliest WM was I think XWM which existed in 1980s, much before DOS! This WM is still used on GNU/Linux distros today. A couple of WMs seen in the Linux are existent since 1992 or so. The first barebones Linux which came outta Linus' computer may not haf had a GUI but as soon as Linux was adopted as a kernel, it had a GUI during the dayz of Windows 3.0.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom