The Samsung Series 5 550P Laptops Thread

vigneshn92

Broken In
In lenovo y500
What is SLI AND ULTRABAY?
PLZ CLEAR IT TO ME.
And how many versions are ther?
There are no versions.an ultrabay is something that allows you to add an extra graphics card,hdd ,additional fan or bluray drive.By default indian models come with the dvd drive in the ultra bay.in the future if you want add any one of the above the dvd rom can be removed in a simple manner and be replaced.Sli is the term used by nvidia where 2 graphics work in tandem in the same pc. By adding another gt 650m(in this model) the performance shd be somewer near the gt 670m s of nvidia.

jahir

Right off the assembly line
Hello Everybody, I have got my first laptop(i'm a programmer/designer used dual core desktop b4 :|) NP550P5C-S04IN 2 days back in silver for 54.4k from samsungestoreindia.com with Win8 preinstalled after a long search and wait. I'm :) to get at this price, that the price has been increased after a day i have registered(Currently it cost 56.4k in samsungestoreindia and 58.6k in flipkart). Also i have noticed laptop prices of all brands are going up from this week from 2-3k in all online stores. About the lappy it is looking cool on except lil bit plasticky on bottom. Overall look is good and the best thing in this laptop is the SPEAKERS and AMAZING SOUND :)) also to mention the brightness and anti-reflection display(1600x900) :razz: of its matty screen. Backlit keyboard would make it excellent :-D

My Choices:

All i needed is 15.6 screen, above i5, atleast 4GB RAM, 1GB GPU.

1. I have been waited for Lenovo Z500 which is listed in flipkart recently and it went discontinued without launching it india. It offered all things except a good battery life.
2. Another choice i have looked is HP Pavilion M6. It also got everything except a good display. (Not to mention it has great battery life and a moderate GPU). Bit overpriced.
3. This is the ONE i have actually looked at but don't know when it will be launched in india. It's Samsung Series 7 Chronos

And finally i have decided to go with Samsung Series 5 NP550P5C-S04IN which almost matched series 7 chronos(with moderate battery, no backlit keyboard and 0.4mm thicker).

In the box there is no Win8 Installation media(DVD). Got only AC adapter with lap. It gives me 4-4:30 hrs during my work hours and i am pretty Ok with it.

Gaming on it:

I'm not a hardcore gamer, but sometimes i do game for long hours. During the search i had found lots of throttling issue posts on this laptop and i went to buy this hence it is fixable. I had to checked this issue on my lap after undergoing complete update of Windows 8 and Samsung Update. Installed RealTemp and TechPowerUp tools to check. Installed Assasins Creed III(haven't played before) and started the game with high settings (1600x900) and played for 7 hours continuously with AC plugged(It is known it will throttle while plugging in power). I had felt the keys are getting hot and the lappy started to smoke the heat on it side vents. But i haven't seen any lagging or throttle during the gameplay and continued to play the game and reached the sequence 3. I have really amazed at the visuals and clarity of this game. Once i got bored at mid of sequence 3 i exited the game and went on to see the temps. It has reached a maximum of 84 C. A little bit high but it is bearable for 7 hours of gameplay. Desktop Graphics scored 5.5 and the Gaming Graphics scored 6.6 on Windows Experience Index(WEI).

Performance:

About the Processor performance i felt it is a bit slow on loading applications and even lag for some times. To match this, the processor got to score only 4.9(very low than i expected) on WEI. I made a mistake that i should have gone for i7 instead of i5 and it costs 5k more, but it is worthy. After uninstallation of IntelliMemory the RAM is used wise and it got 7.0(WEI). Disk Transfer scored a good 5.9(WEI). Any improvements on this regard is most welcome.

The keys are good to type and trackpad is nice and responsive though. Bit weighs but got good looks on it. A very good multimedia laptop.

cremator

Broken In
Hey guys i am in a huge dilemma.. recently i tried out dishonored and AC3 on my S02 with 306.97 WHQL driver and got temps of 96 & 100 respectively within 10 minutes i guess.. then i updated my driver to 310.90 WHQL.. no relief.. ambient temperatures while browsing hover around 55ish and while installing few programs simultaneously it becomes 70 also.. clearly this is a case of overheating right? .. i purchased my S02 in july'12 and have previously completed games like witcher2, arkham city etc at comfortable temperatures.. do i need to go in for motherboard replacement and if so, do i need to show CC some screenshots of temps in order to convince them ? please advise..

Apoorv135

I was planning to buy Samsung np550p5c s04in laptop.. (3rd gen i5, 6GB Ram ,1TB HDD, 2GB Nvidia 650m)

In many threads I saw that it had heating and THROTTLING problem and while playing games it frequently lagged...

Is this problem solved by samsung ? Coz I was really looking forward to buy this laptop specifically for GAMING.. As my budget is around 55k..

I will not buy it if throttling problem exist... I'm ok if it heats up to 85C as any gaming laptop would do, but frequent lags in game is not acceptable..

Suggest me whether its fine to buy this lappy or not... Thanks in advance.. :)

magnet

Youngling
The lenovo lappy offers one year warranty and also its power adapter is only 65w.

Isnt that a disadvantage compared to sammy?

Subhrajit

Hy folks I am s 03 owner I screwed uo the recovery partion while installing Ubuntu (I am not familiar with that OS thought as like Fedora installation) .
But recover the recovery partion raw file which include WMI files and all . Could Customer care help me with it or I just lost this?
another thing now how could I upgrade My BIOS ?

How to Install From WMI file any experience with this please help.

which Cooler will be best for the lappy ?
1. Cooler Master NotePal U3 Cooling Pad - Cooler Master: Flipkart.com - Cooler Master NotePal U3 Cooling Pad
2. Cooler Master Notepal Infinite Evo Cooling Pad - Cooler Master: Flipkart.com - Cooler Master Notepal Infinite Evo Cooling Pad
3. Cooler Master NotePal U Stand Mini Cooling Pad - Cooler Master: Flipkart.com - Cooler Master NotePal U Stand Mini Cooling Pad

Theodre

In the zone
Hello guys, Seeing so many new family members :) Not been to this thread for a long time :) Any one have an idea on how to install the Realtek HD audio driver on ubuntu 12.04??

Budheadz

A bit lazy. :p
waiting for s05 and s06 to be launched and s03 n s04 to get discontinued :D

btw do keep us updated when you get your lappy

Well iv had this lappy for a month now. only problem was when i tryed samsung update software to update the gpu, and it messed up the gt650m(stopped working), although updating the gpu manually to driver 310.90 sorted that out.

I got the A03 model with i5, gt650m. And thankfully no throttling what so ever. Iv been playing planetside 2 on high, crysis 3 beta on high, dayz on medium/high, csgo maxed, fallout NV maxed and modded, all with frames over 30, some over 100, have played for hours at a time. Max gpu temp reached 91c.

My core clock max is 950.1mhz. Iv been tempted to try and overclock it, but have never tryed oc'ing before...
One thing i would like to know is, in 3d mark 11, it stats my core clock is at 405mhz after testing, why is this when gpuz says 99% load it reaches 950.1mhz ?

pratyush997

Inactive
Great! It's the second laptop in this range to have 120W power adapter after my hp dv6.
If one get another Gt 650 then even 120W Adapter is under powered for the setup!

Well iv had this lappy for a month now. only problem was when i tryed samsung update software to update the gpu, and it messed up the gt650m(stopped working), although updating the gpu manually to driver 310.90 sorted that out.

I got the A03 model with i5, gt650m. And thankfully no throttling what so ever. Iv been playing planetside 2 on high, crysis 3 beta on high, dayz on medium/high, csgo maxed, fallout NV maxed and modded, all with frames over 30, some over 100, have played for hours at a time. Max gpu temp reached 91c.

My core clock max is 950.1mhz. Iv been tempted to try and overclock it, but have never tryed oc'ing before...
One thing i would like to know is, in 3d mark 11, it stats my core clock is at 405mhz after testing, why is this when gpuz says 99% load it reaches 950.1mhz ?
AFAIK 405 MHz is the lowest clock rate of the gpu!
Can't understand what you want to ask! :confused:

rider

as Kratos
If one get another Gt 650 then even 120W Adapter is under powered for the setup!

Like any Indian guy will spend 250$ more for SLI. :p
It would take at least 180W of supply in SLI.

Hy folks I am s 03 owner I screwed uo the recovery partion while installing Ubuntu (I am not familiar with that OS thought as like Fedora installation) .
But recover the recovery partion raw file which include WMI files and all . Could Customer care help me with it or I just lost this?
another thing now how could I upgrade My BIOS ?

How to Install From WMI file any experience with this please help.

which Cooler will be best for the lappy ?
1. Cooler Master NotePal U3 Cooling Pad - Cooler Master: Flipkart.com - Cooler Master NotePal U3 Cooling Pad
2. Cooler Master Notepal Infinite Evo Cooling Pad - Cooler Master: Flipkart.com - Cooler Master Notepal Infinite Evo Cooling Pad
3. Cooler Master NotePal U Stand Mini Cooling Pad - Cooler Master: Flipkart.com - Cooler Master NotePal U Stand Mini Cooling Pad

Infinite Evo is the most effective cooling pad for a 15" laptop.

Top Bottom