The Samsung Series 5 550P Laptops Thread

RON28

Cyborg Agent
Hello Everybody, I have got my first laptop(i'm a programmer/designer used dual core desktop b4 :|) NP550P5C-S04IN 2 days back in silver for 54.4k from samsungestoreindia.com with Win8 preinstalled after a long search and wait. I'm :) to get at this price, that the price has been increased after a day i have registered(Currently it cost 56.4k in samsungestoreindia and 58.6k in flipkart). Also i have noticed laptop prices of all brands are going up from this week from 2-3k in all online stores. About the lappy it is looking cool on except lil bit plasticky on bottom. Overall look is good and the best thing in this laptop is the SPEAKERS and AMAZING SOUND :)) also to mention the brightness and anti-reflection display(1600x900) :razz: of its matty screen. Backlit keyboard would make it excellent :-D

My Choices:

All i needed is 15.6 screen, above i5, atleast 4GB RAM, 1GB GPU.

1. I have been waited for Lenovo Z500 which is listed in flipkart recently and it went discontinued without launching it india. It offered all things except a good battery life.
2. Another choice i have looked is HP Pavilion M6. It also got everything except a good display. (Not to mention it has great battery life and a moderate GPU). Bit overpriced.
3. This is the ONE i have actually looked at but don't know when it will be launched in india. It's Samsung Series 7 Chronos

And finally i have decided to go with Samsung Series 5 NP550P5C-S04IN which almost matched series 7 chronos(with moderate battery, no backlit keyboard and 0.4mm thicker).

In the box there is no Win8 Installation media(DVD). Got only AC adapter with lap. It gives me 4-4:30 hrs during my work hours and i am pretty Ok with it.

Gaming on it:

I'm not a hardcore gamer, but sometimes i do game for long hours. During the search i had found lots of throttling issue posts on this laptop and i went to buy this hence it is fixable. I had to checked this issue on my lap after undergoing complete update of Windows 8 and Samsung Update. Installed RealTemp and TechPowerUp tools to check. Installed Assasins Creed III(haven't played before) and started the game with high settings (1600x900) and played for 7 hours continuously with AC plugged(It is known it will throttle while plugging in power). I had felt the keys are getting hot and the lappy started to smoke the heat on it side vents. But i haven't seen any lagging or throttle during the gameplay and continued to play the game and reached the sequence 3. I have really amazed at the visuals and clarity of this game. Once i got bored at mid of sequence 3 i exited the game and went on to see the temps. It has reached a maximum of 84 C. A little bit high but it is bearable for 7 hours of gameplay. Desktop Graphics scored 5.5 and the Gaming Graphics scored 6.6 on Windows Experience Index(WEI).

Performance:

About the Processor performance i felt it is a bit slow on loading applications and even lag for some times. To match this, the processor got to score only 4.9(very low than i expected) on WEI. I made a mistake that i should have gone for i7 instead of i5 and it costs 5k more, but it is worthy. After uninstallation of IntelliMemory the RAM is used wise and it got 7.0(WEI). Disk Transfer scored a good 5.9(WEI). Any improvements on this regard is most welcome.

The keys are good to type and trackpad is nice and responsive though. Bit weighs but got good looks on it. A very good multimedia laptop.

Nice short review :) one suggestion, never rely on WEI, crap benchmark tool.

Budheadz

Right off the assembly line
If one get another Gt 650 then even 120W Adapter is under powered for the setup!

AFAIK 405 MHz is the lowest clock rate of the gpu!
Can't understand what you want to ask! :confused:

Was just wondering why 3D mark 11 shows the core clock at 405 instead of 950 in the benchmark test results., no worrys though, once its reaching max when im gaming it all good =]

Windows experience rating on this card - graphics : 5.9 (this score was lower, like 5.2 or something, before updating to 310.90)
- gaming graphics : 6.9 (this score was 7.0 before updating to 310.90)

although after installing them the combined total score went from 5.1 to 5.9.

guys i was lookin for ultimate gaming laptop but i can't decide
which one should i go for y500 (it has touchpad problems) or so5in recently launched not sure that throttle issue has been taken care of
or so3in (my laptop dealer has these machines)
please help I'm in hurry
also considering z580 but its gpu spec is lower

TheSloth

The Slowest One
@thegrinreaper: if you see posts above your post you'll find your answer. I use Infinite Evo. Its performance is lil above ok

pratyush997

Inactive
guys i was lookin for ultimate gaming laptop but i can't decide which one should i go for y500 (it has touchpad problems) or so5in recently launched not sure that throttle issue has been taken care of or so3in (my laptop dealer has these machines) please help I'm in hurry also considering z580 but its gpu spec is lower
y500, newly manufactured lappy donno got that issue. elan touchpad was culprit

thegrinreaper

Broken In
I was thinking about cooler master L1....My budget is around Rs.700-900..(No I cant stretch it any further)
Also for a mouse I was think of Lenovo m611 (gaming mouse) (my budget is below rs.700 )

Gtb93

In the zone
I think Flipkart is still shipping ELAN-touchpad models, have a couple of members in this forum sending their laptops back for replacement with synaptics.
Also @thegrinreaper-
M6811 right? Pretty decent mouse, used it on a few occassions!
Also for your budget L1 is a good choice, go ahead.

Edit: OR like pratyush said, if you want to save up some moolah(to spend on a better mouse perhaps?), use portable usb fans and books thingy. :D

Are you sure that lenovo laptops are being made with synaptics touchpad
because in US they still haven't addressed this issue as far as i can remember or see on US Forum

Arnab.rc

Broken In
hi all.extremely confused between this two models.
Samsung NP550P5C-S05IN Laptop (3rd Gen Ci7/ 8GB/ 1TB/ Win8/ 2GB Graph) vs Lenovo Ideapad Y500 (59-346619) Laptop (3rd Gen Ci7/ 8GB/ 1TB/ Win8/ 2GB Graph): Compare Computers: Flipkart.com

lenovo got faulty touchpad problem and sammy got throttle and heating issue..:/... dont know what to do..!... help guys?

n3rd

In the zone
Who said there's throttling with S05IN?
I'm getting Y500 with ELAN and getting my touchpad replaced to synaptics. It's a bargain.

My friend's S03IN doesn't start. After pressing the power button nothing appears on screen. Out of the four led indicators (left to right) only fourth light is on. First one blinks once, then no response. Any solutions?

sam142000

Journeyman
My friend's S03IN doesn't start. After pressing the power button nothing appears on screen. Out of the four led indicators (left to right) only fourth light is on. First one blinks once, then no response. Any solutions?

Most probably there's something wrong with the motherboard, cause even BIOS isn't starting in that laptop!!

pratyush997

Inactive
IMO BIOS is corrupted BTW did he installed any update from SWupdate app ?

Surajhb07

Right off the assembly line
Hav 2 agree with the y500..waited almost 3 mnths to get the samsung one.even paid for it but the dealer refunded saying he couldnt get the model.but thankfully the y500 came around,wow its just amazing ! got it for 63k and the best part is its cooling sytem..absolutely brilliant !hardly crosses 75 degrees !

can u pls tell me d exact address of d store where u got your laptop??? I'm from Bangalore n I want to buy this laptop..... Thank you!!!

Cyborgz

Broken In
Hi,

Can any one confirm whether S03IN Supports additional 8GB RAM (Total of 16GB). Task manager shows that there is two slots free out of four but in websites, they say there is no unused slot.

Please confirm guys.

Cyborgz

Top Bottom