The Samsung Series 5 550P Laptops Thread

sanj

Broken In
i think the problem must be with adapter only as the battery theoretical power draw is 10.8 V, 7.8 A or 84W which is insufficient to run the CPU (45W) and the GPU (45W) plus the ancillary support circuits and the provided power adapter is 90W. The reason CPU throttling can work is that there are specific signals to dynamically control the CPU clocking . There is no such control for the Optimus GPU environment. Limiting the use of the eGPU allows for full TurboBoost mode for the CPU. So in theory by reducing the GPU clock we can stop thortling let me check this today

try it and tell me if it works...

sakii

\m/ \m/
Hey Guys...hws u all hv been....

I had a que how much backup u guys r getting on sammy.... In my case (I5 ver) backup tym has significantly reduced to smwhr around 2.5 hrs on 80% charge... normally my sammy gets chrgd upto 80% within an hour... and I m gaming on AC only...most ov the tym...sammy gets charged nd i keep on playing.... prolonged exposure to charging can reduce battery life ?
Is there any corrective measure for it... ?

ya processor input is more and it takes even more when in turbo mode and I didn't account the power intake by speakers,display and other stuff if added up then it will go beyond given adapter capability. 120W or 135W of dell adapters would be usefull as our adapters can't provide the required power to operate so it borrows some amount of power from battery and if you observe when you are playing games with adapter plugged in battery will not charge as it would in normal cases tht explains it draws power from AC outlet and also from battery.

Can the dell adapters be safely used on Samsung ?? Are they of Same voltage ??

How are you sure batteries are not charging ? (I am asking just to confirm you know that if you have enabled battery saver mode in bios or easy settings the battery will not charge beyond 80%)

alpha34

Broken In
ya they can be used as they have same voltage but dell adapters have bigger charging pin so they won't fit :(
Im sure cuz when battery is at 40% and i plug-in and start playing on adapter then charging takes hell lot of time meaninig it must be draining as it takes nearly 3 hours to get to 80% but when im not playing games then it takes 1 hour to get to 80%.
I used power saver mode from windows and played darksiders 2 at high settings with charger plugged-in it's nearly been 1 hour and didn't faced any throttle.
Seems like this might work :D

sanj

Broken In
ya they can be used as they have same voltage but dell adapters have bigger charging pin so they won't fit :(
Im sure cuz when battery is at 40% and i plug-in and start playing on adapter then charging takes hell lot of time meaninig it must be draining as it takes nearly 3 hours to get to 80% but when im not playing games then it takes 1 hour to get to 80%.
I used power saver mode from windows and played darksiders 2 at high settings with charger plugged-in it's nearly been 1 hour and didn't faced any throttle.
Seems like this might work :D

yeah i tried that too but i think its not a permanent solution....

Rifaaz Alam

Right off the assembly line
hi , am planning to buy samsung NP550P5C-S01IN, while reading all the comments it surely has heating and throtling problems , is it worth buying this lap...plz help

alpha34

Broken In
if you are not hardcore gamer then this lappy is best one......and if you are gamer then neither sammy nor dell is recommended.....wait for lenovo y580

RON28

Cyborg Agent
here is my 3DMARK 11.i compared it with DELL's 17R SE which cost close to a Lakh..below is this pic i got from Dell's SE thread.
*i47.tinypic.com/16117d5.jpg

even i used the Basic Edition of 3DMARK11.

hhh

Broken In
Hi Guys,
There has been multiple talks in this forum regarding samsung using 90 watts adapter.
Is someone using 120 watt adapter ? Is it Compatible ?

alpha34

Broken In
Why ? It is not good choice for hardcore gaming ?
nick it is good but if he is waiting to take lappy for gaming then better wait for lenovo to release y580 in india which has GTX660m GPU which is way better than ours but i guess even GPU this powerfull will also have heating and throtling.....

and 135W adapter is compatable but it costs more.......

RON28

Cyborg Agent
^^^do know what would be the price of Lenovo Y580? if yes...then only compare Lenovo with this lappy.

RON28

Cyborg Agent
^^^i think its only available for US...you know how partial these companies are...except samsung ;) (they launced NP550P in US at 1366x768p :p) and Lenovo Y580 is not going to cost below 70K till it reaches India.

nick191

Journeyman
^^^i think its only available for US...you know how partial these companies are...except samsung ;) (they launced NP550P in US at 1366x768p :p) and Lenovo Y580 is not going to cost below 70K till it reaches India.

you are right,what you think RON28,S02IN good for hardcore GAMING or not ?

RON28

Cyborg Agent
hardcore gaming = 7-8 hours daily with Ultra settings...SO2IN won't do this job. Iam warning you...If you are a gamer like me...2 hours continuous and then taking break and playing 3 hours lately then its good.

Even a ALIENWARE won't stay below 90C after playing for 3 hours. My I5 version goes upto 90C when CPU has been under-clocked to 90%...just think of this Quad Core I7.

but as pratyush got his mobo replaced his temps are below 85C which is awesome. So if you play games at Ultra Settings for 3 hours and then give this lappy a break for 1 hour then its Good. but don't expect playing 2012 games at continuous 6 hours.

pratyush997

Inactive
hardcore gaming = 7-8 hours daily with Ultra settings...SO2IN won't do this job. Iam warning you...If you are a gamer like me...2 hours continuous and then taking break and playing 3 hours lately then its good.

Even a ALIENWARE won't stay below 90C after playing for 3 hours. My I5 version goes upto 90C when CPU has been under-clocked to 90%...just think of this Quad Core I7.

but as pratyush got his mobo replaced his temps are below 85C which is awesome. So if you play games at Ultra Settings for 3 hours and then give this lappy a break for 1 hour then its Good. but don't expect playing 2012 games at continuous 6 hours.
GTA 4 w/ car mods and trainer on high.... temps 94C.. O_O.. faq HW monitor... Enjoy gameplay.... :p

Top Bottom