The Samsung Series 5 550P Laptops Thread

Prongs298

In the zone
Yours is i5 version or i7 version of 550p??:-?

@pratyush & Prongs298 & @Any Owners

You guys tried Throttle Stop?? Is it good??Does it stop throttling completely?? :-?

idk, it might be that.

is that useful?

I'll try it, but what I don't understand is that it works fine on battery:-?....fps drops only when plugged in..:-x

all it does is set the cpu multiplier and check if there is some throttling, if there is, then select the option and set the multiplier as you like and when using on battery just set the multiplier to a lower value so it uses less power.

*img214.imageshack.us/img214/431/ts300.png

Step 1 - use the tsbench option in the lower right corner. and set it to 32M. it will bechmark and you will see the cpu usage go high. then start monitoring the CMod and Chip columns if the values go down then your cpu is throttling. click on turn on in the lower right corner.

Step 2 - if there is cpu clock modulation then it will not show 100.0 in the CMod column. it will show 40 or some lower value. so what u do then is, u select the clock modulation option beside it and set it to 100.0%.

and if there is chipset modulation then it will show lower value under Chip. then what u do is select the chipset clock mod option and set it to 100.

Step 3 - After doing this in every option that is for profiles 1,2,3 and 4. what u do is, select the multiplier in the set multiplier box to a desired value 1 is for performance so set it to a value just below turbo which may be around 25.

and for gaming (that is for 2 and 3) set it somewhere between 22 and 13.
and that is strictly depending on the game.

and for 4 go for as low a value as seems comfortable to u. as the lower the value the better the battery life which is what the fourth option is for.

Step 4 - dont set the multiplier to a very high value and sit back. keep monitoring the temps.

source - *forum.notebookreview.com/hardware-components-aftermarket-upgrades/531329-throttlestop-guide.html

Last edited:

demolisher48

Journeyman
well i cant find a solution to throttling it was reduced by proper ventilation & nothing much gonna try undervolting it

i had a highest temp of 91 c thats hot

dan4u

Took Off!!!
Well guys I went to the cc today, and told them the problem. They said the NP550 model has been getting complaints of the same sort:-?. They said they'll either replace mine or give a refund, well I'm going for the refund I guess.

OP
har

har

In the zone
Guess I am the only one not facing any problems :-D
Do remember to switch to turbo mode before gaming.

dan4u

Took Off!!!
^^so should I complain to cc cuz mine i7 gets to 96 and gpu to 92 while gaming??:|:-(:-(
well after how much time does it get to 96? you only have to worry if it effects gaming i.e drops in fps after it reaches 96. mine used to have fps drops after 15-20 mins of bf3 or gta iv or mp3. but on battery it works totally fine, problem arises only when plugged in.
Guess I am the only one not facing any problems :-D
Do remember to switch to turbo mode before gaming.

yea Lucky you:), have you tried games like bf3,mp3 or gta iv?? mine works fine on nfs hp or hawx 2. its only the demanding games that poses problems.

demolisher48

Journeyman
well after how much time does it get to 96? you only have to worry if it effects gaming i.e drops in fps after it reaches 96. mine used to have fps drops after 15-20 mins of bf3 or gta iv or mp3. but on battery it works totally fine, problem arises only when plugged in.

yea Lucky you:), have you tried games like bf3,mp3 or gta iv?? mine works fine on nfs hp or hawx 2. its only the demanding games that poses problems.

yea i got problem same as you fps drops after 10-15 min. sometimes even at 77c but i just bought it yesterday. hope theres a solution soon

dan4u

Took Off!!!
yea i got problem same as you fps drops after 10-15 min. sometimes even at 77c but i just bought it yesterday. hope theres a solution soon

what were you playing? n yea, my gpu temp was around 77-78C but I don't think its a temperature problem, at least that's what the cc told me. funny thing is that this is my second 550p, I replaced the first one because of this problem, and the second one also has it.
I think its a problem with the i5 version.

imrock

Broken In
I will be buying this laptop tomorrow, any suggestions? Reading the last few posts have got me worried about the heating issue, should i wait for other hp or lenovo laptops or go with this one only

Ashish247

Journeyman
Can some of the i7 owners please confirm that they dont have throttling issues or drops in fps? Can I buy this without any worries? The issues lately have got me thinking.:cry:

vigneshn92

Broken In
buddy you lost the 1+ year warranty :( if you buy now last date is 31st july:-(
dude , u did'nt answer the main question at'll..what's the use of extended warranty if issues like throttling arise from day one.a few of the i7 owners please confirm about the whole throttling issue.and why hasn't anyone tried or commented about the results of throttlestop yet ?

demolisher48

Journeyman
throttling isnt a problem with this laptop it can happen in any. no throttling in battery & the nvidia beta driver reduced my throttling. now i think the cooling pad will do the rest

& anyone upload the pic of warranty card.

what were you playing? n yea, my gpu temp was around 77-78C but I don't think its a temperature problem, at least that's what the cc told me. funny thing is that this is my second 550p, I replaced the first one because of this problem, and the second one also has it.
I think its a problem with the i5 version.

alan wake nice game

shaggy

Solid State Forum Member!
I'm not using the Beta driver from NVIDIA and I'm not experiencing any throttling.
Using Notepal U2 but no significant difference, hardly 2 degrees decrement in temps.

sandy2kr12

Broken In
hey dan4u i had almost made my mind on buying sammy i5 version..but the last reply's of urs had made me totally worried..is the lagging problem occurs in low resolution also..because i dont mind palying mp3 or other latest games in bit low resolution..??

ujjwal007

Lost in games
I'm not using the Beta driver from NVIDIA and I'm not experiencing any throttling.
Using Notepal U2 but no significant difference, hardly 2 degrees decrement in temps.

and what about temps dude? 90 and 96 right?? :razz::p

dude , u did'nt answer the main question at'll..what's the use of extended warranty if issues like throttling arise from day one.a few of the i7 owners please confirm about the whole throttling issue.and why hasn't anyone tried or commented about the results of throttlestop yet ?

as far as i know no throttling in i7 models but temps are thing to be worried 90 and 96 max temps and in future you got any problem with you lappy warranty is one which help you to get free care both are different things :p
i hardly thinks there is anyone who would not like to get the warranty it does matter for me and for others too :D any by way the question is asked by ashish not you :p so throttling and warranty is diff. things :/ it will be useful in other ways

Top Bottom