The Samsung Series 5 550P Laptops Thread

girishpaiv

Journeyman
Found a thread about 17 inch version of np550. forum.notebookreview.com/samsung/673502-anyone-here-have-np550p7c-17-a.html

People seem to have problem with gpu overheating very quickly and throttling. Normally a 17 inchers have better cooling than 15 inchers. If that's the case then it makes sense why samsung is selling it dirt cheap. Probably they are clearing up their stock and gonna replace it with either series 7 or series 9.
Hence almost non exsistant driver support.

Before samsung users start to flaming me :p, have a look at that thread and read through what problems users are facing.

Then see this popular aussie thread on 15r SE there they got loooooots f complaints on their early stage of lap ...!!!:|
but v dont get any problems neighter BSOD as many there says!!!:-o:cool:
Thank god but, dont know the reason y they got so many troubles with 15r se!!:-?

@rider
facts should be welcomed(if proper links are givn) ..pls dont call it trolling!!

rider

as Kratos
I know you are a old member here but calling someones view as trolling just cuz you don't like is pure bullshit.

First tell me why you are in this thread, you already order your laptop and diverting here new buyers by using offensive language. Bad words in this are not allowed you can be banned.

OP
har

har

In the zone
I've seen that thread. The reason is pretty simple. Official drivers for GT650m is not out yet. New dv6 reaches 90+ temps and there is no problem. Even proper gt640m drivers are not out yet.

rider

as Kratos
Did i ever mentioned that your hp crawls? :p i know it has a excellent cooling system. I'm questioning samsung only.
You can not hesitate and puts something against with abusive language here, few days ago you were going to cancel you laptop for this and now if it is not possible you started all this s***.

OP
har

har

In the zone
Then see this popular aussie thread on 15r SE there they got loooooots f complaints on their early stage of lap ...!!!:|
but v dont get any problems neighter BSOD as many there says!!!:-o:cool:
Thank god but, dont know the reason y they got so many troubles with 15r se!!:-?

@rider
facts should be welcomed(if proper links are givn) ..pls dont call it trolling!!

You are right. You may recall me expressing concers over loads of BSOD's in the special edition. It got sorted out. It's always sorted out.

rider

as Kratos
I've seen that thread. The reason is pretty simple. Official drivers for GT650m is not out yet. New dv6 reaches 90+ temps and there is no problem. Even proper gt640m drivers are not out yet.

Exactly, this throttling problem is with driver issues. He knows nothing about this stuff, I think he can not digest this. I hate trolling.

OP
har

har

In the zone
Found a thread about 17 inch version of np550. forum.notebookreview.com/samsung/673502-anyone-here-have-np550p7c-17-a.html

People seem to have problem with gpu overheating very quickly and throttling. Normally a 17 inchers have better cooling than 15 inchers. If that's the case then it makes sense why samsung is selling it dirt cheap. Probably they are clearing up their stock and gonna replace it with either series 7 or series 9.
Hence almost non exsistant driver support.

Before samsung users start to flaming me :p, have a look at that thread and read through what problems users are facing.

LOL !! This is the latest laptops in Series 5.Released all over the world. Got editor's recommendation from TechRadar.Even notebookcheck reviewed it the moment it was released because this is gonna be samsung's bread and butter model all over the world and its prime model for the back to school season abroad. The others are named series 7 and series 9 for a reason you know !! Give time for drivers !! The model aint even listed in samsung site till now !!

abhishekmaha

Broken In
Then, is it better to buy the laptop right now and wait for drivers, or should we buy it only after some drivers are released?

Hey, let's wait for a proper review by member har before we make any assumptions....that will clear all doubts....

antisocialbratt

Journeyman
@abhishek, if you can wait then you should. 650m may get a driver update soon which should hopefully fix all the problems and you may see hp and acer coming up with a killer lappy in that time. You'll be spoilt for choices. ;)

rider

as Kratos
Yeah ignoring the problems and suggesting a laptop to new buyers is good and pointing out the problems is trolling.

This is not an issue, man. Stop hesitating har knows all about this, this is just driver issue which will be easily solved. GT 650M is a very powerful GPU, this issue is simply to be ignored. I said trolling cause you started use bad language to tell, you should behave normal, also against TDF rules.. read again.

OP
har

har

In the zone
For heavens sake !! I am getting the laptop !! I will be your guinea pig OK !!
Quit speculating.

BTW Ivy bridge lappy's regularly heat up to 90+ degree's. You can google it.

@antisocialbratt--Do you even know what a driver means ? How hard it is to write one and make it perfect. What a bad driver can do ? Go to nvidia site. Under gt650m there are 0 nvidia recommended drivers. All are beta drivers. So if you trash samsung,trash also hp dv6, and all laptps having gt650m because they will all HEAT UP !!

antisocialbratt

Journeyman
@ rider, i can cancle my order at any time and get a refund as the manufacturing of my build hasnt started yet. Why do you think i'm researching about np550 so deeply. :p if there were no problems like this then i would have gone for it.

rider

as Kratos
@ rider, i can cancle my order at any time and get a refund as the manufacturing of my build hasnt started yet. Why do you think i'm researching about np550 so deeply. :p if there were no problems like this then i would have gone for it.

Alright, and wait for review by any TDF member who will review this laptop model.

I'm not any kinda fanboy or sales-man. I'm just a techy guy who believes in VFM gadgets, helping guys regarding to this. If there is problem in this laptop I will not hesitate to say bad against it.

OP
har

har

In the zone
If it throttles badly they will take it back and replace the laptop. Someone in a foreign forum had his 550p replaced. They said the said 90's temp is normal for ivy bridge but throttling should not be there.I will try to find the link.

antisocialbratt

Journeyman
@har, i know what a driver is cuz i'm a lowly IT engineer myself. ;)
from what i've read, nvidia has better understanding of their hardware than ati. Thus they are better at fixing bugs in their driver. Hence i hope this is just a driver problem.
But what you fail to understand is that drivers woukd fix the throttling, heating is mostly due to poor ventilation and cooling system. No amount of driver update can rectify that.
Thus nvidia can fix the throttling but laptop would run hot.

I'm glad we came to an understanding. I may have have to buy another laptop in next few weeks for my gf.Thus i'm looking hard into this. If all the problems are solved by then, then i may give her my 15r and buy this for myself :p

OP
har

har

In the zone
Check out this review.Covers 15" version:
Samsung Serie 5 550P5C-S02DE Notebook im Test Spieltrieb – 15,6-Zoll-Multimedia-Notebook mit Gaming-Qualitäten auf notebookjournal.de

This thread is good. Owner of 550p and benchmarks :
NVIDIA GT 650M Benchmarks

@har, i know what a driver is cuz i'm a lowly IT engineer myself. ;)
from what i've read, nvidia has better understanding of their hardware than ati. Thus they are better at fixing bugs in their driver. Hence i hope this is just a driver problem.
But what you fail to understand is that drivers woukd fix the throttling, heating is mostly due to poor ventilation and cooling system. No amount of driver update can rectify that.
Thus nvidia can fix the throttling but laptop would run hot.

I'm glad we came to an understanding. I may have have to buy another laptop in next few weeks for my gf.Thus i'm looking hard into this. If all the problems are solved by then, then i may give her my 15r and buy this for myself :p

Throttling is the only real problem.

Temps are normal for a ivy bridge laptpop. They use different thermal insulation in the chips and hence hot.

Top Bottom