The Samsung Series 5 550P Laptops Thread

rider

as Kratos
Hi folks ...so i'm going to buy thus lappy ....My father agreed but the prob is that where can I get that thing in jaipur,rajasthan? Anyone live there?
I also have option to get a assembled pc!
Should I get pc or lappy......goddamn confused!
Help me
@ har post gaming benchs and is there any throtling issues till now?

Buy an assembled gaming rig for 50k.

eduku

Amateur techno enthusiast
Hello har,
First of all, congrats on your new lappy! :-D
Can you please tell us what power adapter you got, is it a 90 Watt or 120 Watt.
Do you happen to know what the i7 version comes with from the dealer?
Also what is the chipset and does it have a powered USB port supporting sleep-and-charge?
And finally, can you provide details of the warranty.
I hear that the warranty that Samsung India provides is 2 years international warranty, but my question is whether it is on-site and does it have accidental cover?
Oh, and could you calculate the approximate time for windows to boot up in your new laptop?
Thanks again!!! :)

rider

as Kratos
Please let us know if you got 90 or 120 w adapter . Also please game for over an hour and let us know if it throttles . I read on the forum which reported throttling that it might be due to the fact that 90w adapter was low for the i7 and hence it dint throttle when gaming on battery . What should I do if I get the 90w adapter ? I am buying the i7 one tomorrow or day after . Thanks

Power depends upon the power consumption of CPU. In case of core-i7 3610QM it consumes 45W power so it needs a 120W adapter.
90W and 120W both are different adapters, both are not crossly compatible with each other. 120W adapter pin is bigger.

tecnotrix

Right off the assembly line
Hey guys take a look at new HP PAVILION DV6 updated with just 8 GB of RAM and 1 TB Hard drive and having old Nvidia GT630m 2 GB graphics card .............
i don't know what happened to HP INDIA - - why they are not launching DV6 with GT650m and BTW here the link :
HP Pavilion DV6 Laptop: Flipkart.com: Compare, Review HP Notebook

and Har : Congrats for your New Lappy and i am also looking forward to i7 version of this laptop.....

terrafield

Broken In
Surely you can. Any 3rd Gen HM75/76/77 mobo support 6GBps (SATA III) SSDs (and lower also), I brought a HP 2000-2116TU last week and replaced with a SSD and 8GB RAM, it's a beast now, but that depends on your need of what you want from that laptop...

Also the Optical drive can be the holder for the replaced HDD, that means SSD+HDD but that needs proper consultation...
All options are open and according the Samsung laptop, they should be an ease, however, don't do without proper consultation.

Thanks for your suggestion. My friend is looking for a laptop with SSD. But I'm unable to advise him if SSD gives significant difference in performance for his usage. He is looking for a laptop mainly for Browsing, light office (excel, word), and movies (rare blu-ray rip, mostly DVD rip). Now my question is if it takes 10 sec to open any application like Chrome Browser or VLC media player in normal HDD, can we expect 4 or 5 sec in SSD? If the difference is not significant for his usage then there is no point in recommending SSD for him

I think it has a free 2.5" slot. So SSD is possible :razz:

But still contact and ask samsung like rider suggested.

If it has free ssd slot then can we have both SSD and HDD? In that case it will be great. OS and applications in SSD, media in HDD. Even I will buy one

OP
har

har

In the zone
Windows experience rating:
*i47.tinypic.com/3313jtk.png

Hello har,
First of all, congrats on your new lappy! :-D
Can you please tell us what power adapter you got, is it a 90 Watt or 120 Watt.
Do you happen to know what the i7 version comes with from the dealer?
Also what is the chipset and does it have a powered USB port supporting sleep-and-charge?
And finally, can you provide details of the warranty.
I hear that the warranty that Samsung India provides is 2 years international warranty, but my question is whether it is on-site and does it have accidental cover?
Oh, and could you calculate the approximate time for windows to boot up in your new laptop?
Thanks again!!! :)

90W
Will upload boot time later. No time to shut down :-D

shaggy

Solid State Forum Member!
sanjoy.bose said:
Surely you can. Any 3rd Gen HM75/76/77 mobo support 6GBps (SATA III) SSDs (and lower also), I brought a HP 2000-2116TU last week and replaced with a SSD and 8GB RAM, it's a beast now, but that depends on your need of what you want from that laptop...

But the windows comes pre-installed in the hdd, how do I install it again in the SSD?
Can you kindly provide a step-by-step tutorial of this procedure?

sanjoy.bose

Journeyman
Thanks for your suggestion. My friend is looking for a laptop with SSD. But I'm unable to advise him if SSD gives significant difference in performance for his usage. He is looking for a laptop mainly for Browsing, light office (excel, word), and movies (rare blu-ray rip, mostly DVD rip). Now my question is if it takes 10 sec to open any application like Chrome Browser or VLC media player in normal HDD, can we expect 4 or 5 sec in SSD? If the difference is not significant for his usage then there is no point in recommending SSD for him

If it has free ssd slot then can we have both SSD and HDD? In that case it will be great. OS and applications in SSD, media in HDD. Even I will buy one

Spending on SSD totally depends on what you are willing to do with it. Storing media files and songs is not the target of the SSD. If you want to speed up your boot-up/shut down and some application starting smooth or to say load a game ultra fast, then only you should consider a SSD. Please understand your need that whether you need that or not. We can clutter lots of things on our PC but the goal is to go on requirement wise.

I heard in this thread that this samsung model has an extra bay for HDD (and THREE RAM slots) so, I said it should be easy and without being void the warranty and yes Optical drive can also be replaced with HDD in any good build laptop but for that you need to target it before buy by knowing it's easiness to open.

Let me know if you need any extra help or having more questions...

rider

as Kratos

No, in my case it took less than 3 seconds to open chrome or VLC. Speed also depends upon RAM and processor.

girishpaiv

Journeyman
Windows experience rating:
*i47.tinypic.com/3313jtk.png

A BIG congratzz har :mrgreen::razz:
Njoy the beast :wink:

BTW why is it 5.1 for graphics , 15r se got 5.2 (mayb its hd4000 used for this here :p)
but ya for gaming graphics 550p wins by a great margin , 15r se got only 6.6 :)
*i48.tinypic.com/2ptqfkk.png

anyway waiting for the real stuff: gaming benches :cool: and temps....

sanjoy.bose

Journeyman
But the windows comes pre-installed in the hdd, how do I install it again in the SSD?

Samsung recently started providing m-Sata HDDs that have cache to provide less than 20~30 sec boot up/down time, HAR can confirm that and if it is so, I do not feel you need a SSD on this model.

Can you kindly provide a step-by-step tutorial of this procedure?
I will surely do one on how to make a low end laptop a beast. But That will be for no gamers and in very low budget as there is no replacement of graphics card...

No, in my case it took less than 3 seconds to open chrome or VLC. Speed also depends upon RAM and processor.

^+1 to that :-D

In my case, it is 2.5secs (6GBps Corsair Force 3 + 8GB DDR3 1600 FSB and Intel I5 3210 + Intel HM76 mobile express) :)

rider

as Kratos
@har and @girishpaiv
Check my windows experience rating.

*img94.imageshack.us/img94/4015/dwdwdd.png

windows experience measure lowest component in the hardware, in may case it is 750 GB 5400rpm HDD.

eduku

Why on earth does windows rate 5.1 for Graphics (Desktop performance for windows aero)??? :-?

sanjoy.bose

Journeyman
@har and @girishpaiv
Check my windows experience rating.

++1 man :-D Which card do you have?

Here is mine:
*photouploads.com/images/indexcurre.png

On Intel HD 4000 Graphics, Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD, 8GB starlite 1600 FSB DDR3+Intel I5 3210

Why on earth does windows rate 5.1 for Graphics (Desktop performance for windows aero)??? :-?

Its running on Intel HD 4000 - that's why...

eduku

Can we not get the windows rating with the graphics card in operation??? :-?

Just like in rider's case with his AMD HD 6770M powered dv6-6165tx...

OP
har

har

In the zone
Played assasins creed for half an hour. Not exactly a benchmark but fps at ultra was around 70-100 and temp for cpu-65,66 and GPU temp 65.

Top Bottom