The Photography Thread

game-freak

In the zone
plz critique my first attempt to capture the moon
moon1.jpg

sujoyp

Grand Master
@amlan Thanks ....The smoke setup is very simple ....I am flashing from sideways towards the smoke in a way that the flash do not fall on the background.
focus on smoke is difficult...just try to focus on sticks red part.

Post processing I am doing with photoshop...its just 4 easy steps
1. create duplicate layer - layer->duplicate layer
2. go to layer-->new adjustment layer--> levels ...move the slider such that background becomes very dark..blakish ...but smoke is visible
3. go to layers--> new fill layer-->gradients ....select a color gradient and in layer window select color instead of normal.
4. select duplicate layer and clean the unwanted colors and unwanted particles to make BG clean black.

Now drop is a pure chance....I was puting drop with one hand and clicking with other...very hard I would say :) put a floating object at the point where drop will fall and focus the point...put it on manual focus...use flashlight from side or take shot in sunlight ...setting should be around f4 and SS 1/160 ..as soon as you release the drop click :)

hope the tips will help...

If you are ok with EPM1+kit and zoom or prime lens according to your taste later then its a good deal...but you will loose viewfinder

Attachments

• setup smoke.jpg
    setup smoke.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 86

game-freak

In the zone
[url=*www.flickr.com/photos/94910990@N04/8680655043/][img]*farm9.staticflickr.com/8402/8680655043_53bbc416ed_b.jpg[/url] DSC_0272 by ☣ankit, on Flickr[/IMG]

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
plz critique my first attempt to capture the moon
View attachment 10173

It's a little grainy, try reducing the ISO next time. Plus for things as far as the moon, keeping the camera on a tripod helps

@amlan Thanks ....The smoke setup is very simple ....I am flashing from sideways towards the smoke in a way that the flash do not fall on the background.
focus on smoke is difficult...just try to focus on sticks red part.

Post processing I am doing with photoshop...its just 4 easy steps
1. create duplicate layer - layer->duplicate layer
2. go to layer-->new adjustment layer--> levels ...move the slider such that background becomes very dark..blakish ...but smoke is visible
3. go to layers--> new fill layer-->gradients ....select a color gradient and in layer window select color instead of normal.
4. select duplicate layer and clean the unwanted colors and unwanted particles to make BG clean black.

Now drop is a pure chance....I was puting drop with one hand and clicking with other...very hard I would say :) put a floating object at the point where drop will fall and focus the point...put it on manual focus...use flashlight from side or take shot in sunlight ...setting should be around f4 and SS 1/160 ..as soon as you release the drop click :)

hope the tips will help...

If you are ok with EPM1+kit and zoom or prime lens according to your taste later then its a good deal...but you will loose viewfinder

Awesome setup drawing, thanks will give this a shot today :) ... and how are mirrorless camera's at creating bokeh ?

sujoyp

Grand Master
Thanks @pranav

@gamefreak .....ur moon is very grainy ...please share the exif details...also moon is not focussed properly.
ur 2nd shot also have some vibrations due to slow shutter speed I suppose....(try to read the board) for these shots u need trypod or a surface to keep the camera steady...handheld is impossible.

@amlan Mirrorless cams are capable of everything...just u need to read proper review of lenses before buying...even some f1.8 lenses have harsh bokeh I have read.

game-freak

In the zone
@gamefreak .....ur moon is very grainy ...please share the exif details...also moon is not focussed properly.
ur 2nd shot also have some vibrations due to slow shutter speed I suppose....(try to read the board) for these shots u need trypod or a surface to keep the camera steady...handheld is impossible.

1/200, f/11, ISO 100 at 300 mm
camera was handheld

theserpent

Firecracker to the moon
*farm9.staticflickr.com/8400/8682157403_8d1ae060a2.jpg
IMG_2933 by serpentakshay, on Flickr

*farm9.staticflickr.com/8539/8683272632_2fc3c56124_b.jpg
IMG_2900 by serpentakshay, on Flickr

*farm9.staticflickr.com/8531/8682155101_fc258892c8_b.jpg
IMG_2866 by serpentakshay, on Flickr

*farm9.staticflickr.com/8380/8682160701_e1ed825468_b.jpg
IMG_2861 by serpentakshay, on Flickr

*farm9.staticflickr.com/8263/8683278390_71fdf20340_b.jpg
IMG_2784 by serpentakshay, on Flickr

*farm9.staticflickr.com/8253/8682165511_5cbd8fa800_b.jpg
IMG_2765 by serpentakshay, on Flickr

*farm9.staticflickr.com/8401/8682167569_a80a1b788d_b.jpg
IMG_2669 by serpentakshay, on Flickr

*farm9.staticflickr.com/8255/8683283078_fdae8250d4_b.jpg
IMG_2684 by serpentakshay, on Flickr

*farm9.staticflickr.com/8261/8682153231_864b024558_b.jpg
IMG_2686 by serpentakshay, on Flickr

*farm9.staticflickr.com/8400/8682157403_8d1ae060a2.jpg
IMG_2933 by serpentakshay, on Flickr

Last edited:

sujoyp

Grand Master
Thanks Nac :)

@gamefreak exif seems ok ...then maybe due to vibration moon shot got blurred

@serpent ...that cave shot is awesome...is it the lonavla kalra cave...coz I went there and it seems like that :)

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
Guys, how many of you are on 500px.com? my first month impression is that the quality of the images is way ahead of flickr ..... do share your profiles.

mine is 500px / Amlan Mathur / Photos

sujoyp

Grand Master
@the serpent ...please edit ur images and remove the duplicates....u posted all of them twice

@amlan I am there but dont have lots of images there...

500px / Sujoy Packrasy / Photos

Gen.Libeb

Padawan
Photography Experts, How is this guy getting people shots like these? Is it the lens / angle of the shot or what ?
When I try to shoot full people shots, the subjects look really tiny. But these shots are so sharp at that distance. What do you think ?

*www.timparkphotography.com/images/jae-01.jpg
*www.timparkphotography.com/images/jae-09.jpg

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Photography Experts, How is this guy getting people shots like these? Is it the lens / angle of the shot or what ?
When I try to shoot full people shots, the subjects look really tiny. But these shots are so sharp at that distance. What do you think ?

I checked the exif. Large aperture + pseudo-telephoto (160mm) focal length.

lm2k

Journeyman

see ryan Brenezier 's method aka portrait panorama.
Saw it on dps .

sujoyp

Grand Master
@gen if u know the 85mm lens is the most popular portrait focal length ....and maybe the longest for a f1.4 aperture....If you get a 85mm f1.4 lens on a apsc sensor it becomes around 120mm f1.4 and that can produce these kind of shots from a certain distance....

Top Bottom