The Photography Thread

Gen.Libeb

Padawan
Bee at flight.
For your C&C

The 2nd one looks cool. I might crop them a bit more to have a clearer look at bee but i guess you've cropped them already.

Please critique.
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8438&d=1358271936

Attachments

• DSC07068.jpg
    DSC07068.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 165

lm2k

Journeyman
@nac- second one among "Bee at flight" is gud, but seriously the butterfli shoots u took r much better.
@CyberKID- first one is good. i like the formation made by petals.
@anirbandd -boat shots are nice. didnt u use NR here?
@Gen.Libeb - did u grow it u r self(i mean in u r garden). u can spray some water on it:wink: n increase saturation(if possible) or try different white balance setting instead of auto.

shots of rajnigandha.(first bloom )
*farm9.staticflickr.com/8227/8382881619_0dc38fe447_z_d.jpg
sx150is|| f/7.1 for 1/6 th sec at 80iso with focal length 28mm(35mm eq). flash fired.Exposure program-Manual.

*farm9.staticflickr.com/8335/8383967522_148b7b27c7_z_d.jpg
sx150is|| f/6.5 for 1/10 th sec at 80iso with focal length 28mm(35mm eq). flash fired.Exposure program-Manual.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
@ Gen: Nice shot. Odd color as well :D
Also as lm2k suggested, sprinkle water drops ;)
@abhidev: Thats a much better shot :) What camera/phone do you use?
@lm2k: Really liked the first one. How about stacking two of them one above the other and merging as multiply with appropriate opacity ?
I generally use that technique to get stronger black and get a punchier image.

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
@ Gen: the shot's pretty low on colour, IMO.
@ lm2k: Nice. I hope, you liked it's fragrance too. The water drops, could have been a bit smaller, though. It's pretty odd for rajnigandha (mexican tuberose) to bloom during this time of the year. I usually blooms during the monsoons only (i.e. around july, august) and that's the time when we see those pretty flowers with the bouquet makers. I've got one too blooming right now, possibly as I planted those late.
One more thing, the colour could have been a bit warmer and the white is a bit pale too. I don't know whether that was intentional or the flower's that way, but, here's a comparision with one of my unprocessed shots of rajnigandha, taken back in July, 2012. I hope you won't mind your photo being compared.:|

*i.imgur.com/J3sz1.jpg

Gen.Libeb

Padawan
@Gen.Libeb - did u grow it u r self(i mean in u r garden). u can spray some water on it:wink: n increase saturation(if possible) or try different white balance setting instead of auto.

No, It is not at my place; It was at some plant/flower exhibition. The desaturation was intentional, The coloured version was a bit too green for me.
@lm2k,@pranav0091, @CyberKID Thanks for your comments.

lm2k

Journeyman
@lm2k: Really liked the first one. How about stacking two of them one above the other and merging as multiply with appropriate opacity ?
I generally use that technique to get stronger black and get a punchier image.

thnx. I didnt knew of multiply technique.Just tried it , it works great when we have grays in image.

I hope you won't mind your photo being compared.:|
Oh ,not at all.:)

i took a raw file n processed in Adobe Raw, n had increased the warmth in it also decreased exposure to fill the frame with a darkspace to isolate the flower. may be coz of this it is looking like that.
Mine is has flowers even during noon:-? i thought like hylocerus undatus the flower wud die by morning.Yes it really has very elegant fragrance, i just love it.:wub:

another one i processed today
*farm9.staticflickr.com/8046/8386870000_91c8c4ced7_c_d.jpg

sx150is ,f/6.7 for 1/10 th sec at 80iso from 28mm (35mm eq) RAW processed

*farm9.staticflickr.com/8237/8386880140_74445df350_c_d.jpg
sx150is ,f/6.7 for 1/10 th sec at 80iso from 28mm (35mm eq) JPEG processed

any coments which one works better?

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
^ I find the processed jpeg better looking, could be just me though...

Regarding the "multiply" trick. Yes, works wonders on grays with bright sources, like fireworks at night. Also adds emphasis to weak reds/orange/yellows..

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
About those "Rajanigandha" shots...did you use flash? I guess not. If yes, the flash output was really low. There was shadow behind the image. And the subject is not luminated enough.

let me know if I'm missing anything here.

sujoyp

Grand Master
This is called a DSLR PIC.

But why you used aperture: f/8.0 it can be around 3.4 to 5.4 or something. I m new to photography so these questions will help me and other newbie.

Do you use tripod.

:rofl::nanananana:
Yes toofan bhai...we all know u r very new to photography :D

lm2k

Journeyman
@pranav0091 - i wanted to use the curved stock of the flower as a separation between dimly lit area n dark area, perhaps i overdid it in .RAW processing, needs more refinement

@ rhitwick - i had fired flash with min pow, n exposure was set to -2ev coz, in niteblooming folwer there is low lite n the colour of the flower was white, so flash fired at full power or 0 ev cause over exposure like this
*farm9.staticflickr.com/8189/8389630034_b7c1cbeb87_b_d.jpg
samsung D760 || f/2.8 for 1/45th sec @ iso 400 from 38mm(35mm eq)
nite blooming white flower often pose some difficulty n also there comes in the unwanted background. i often use this like stopping to a small aperture n using -2 ev with flash.

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
^ Nice shot. Pure unadultrated white.:)
A small suggestion, while capturing flowers during night, what I do is, take a few shots from side. I also take multiple shots, as most of us do, and then use the best picture. Also, you may try to block the flash with some translucent medium (butter paper or something).

Gen.Libeb

Padawan
@lm2k I like those shots in post #6904. The flash is too harsh in #6915

@clickclick - Nice in #6913. How do you do those selective colours ?

lm2k

Journeyman
^ Nice shot. Pure unadultrated white.:)
:-Dbut it is still not like what i saw, the white is too much brite for a long gaze, the midrib of petals , some of stamens n some borders of petals has dissapeared .This shot was one out of 12 trial fotos as usual.
BTW u r idea of diffusing the power of flash manually using something like butter paper is worth trying , i ll post my results on this.

*dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Insect.jpg?w=AACSNWbUanH6zdKydL_fyZ20p6TfMrlklxs_EPNKGvN1IA&dl=1

Clicked with a Nokia 3110c with a pair a magnifying glasses attached.

Top Bottom