The Orange Box Issue

z3rO

Journeyman
I had purchased The Orange Box from Flipkart a while ago when it was available for ₹499 there. Today when I tried to activate the product key on Steam, it refused to do so saying that it is a "Duplicate key" :shock: and someone has already activated that key.:-x How can this be possible? I already wrote to Flipkart regarding it and awaiting a reply. Is there anything else that I should do now?

The box was manufactured by Reliable Packaging Services, No. 12, Jalan13/11 8B, 56000 Cheras, Kuala Lampur, Malaysia and published by World Wide CD ROMs, 208, Oberoi Chamber 1, New Link Road, Andheri(W), Mumbai.

PS : I opened the sealed box today. So no chance of anyone else stealing the key from my retail box.

My issue is related to Software Licensing so I thought its better to post this in Software Q&A. But if this is not the correct place for this kind of problems, then I request the mods to please move this thread to "Gamerz" sub-forum (sorry for the inconvenience if caused).

Last edited:
OP
z3rO

z3rO

Journeyman
PS : I opened the sealed box today. So no chance of anyone else stealing the key from my retail box.

Someone might have opened the box already, that's all that i can think of

The box was sealed till today. I opened the package and the box.

Flipkart replied that they need more time to look into this matter.. Did flipkart scam me..:-?

Neo

Talk to them over the phone and ask for a refund or ask them to ship a new orange box.
But this is strange. If the box was sealed, there is no way such a thing would happen.

OP
z3rO

z3rO

Journeyman
Steam is also saying to contact the retailer. I had read about some guy having similar issues after purchasing a retail key from Amazon, he got another key from Amazon. Hoping that Flipkart sends me another copy or just an another key in mail. Flipkart needs another day to look into this and my order on Flipkart is dated January 2012 year old (yeah, I didn't open Orange Box for an year :p )

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Flipkart needs another day to look into this and my order on Flipkart is dated January 2012 year old (yeah, I didn't open Orange Box for an year :p )

:facepalm: .. :D , dude.. the first thing you need to do is activate your copy/assign it to your ID :p

OP
z3rO

z3rO

Journeyman
Hey Rcuber, I appreciate your helping tendency but it might do more help it you try to read the 1st post, anyways thanks for the advice.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Hey Rcuber, I appreciate your helping tendency but it might do more help it you try to read the 1st post, anyways thanks for the advice.

Post #6, I already read your FP, many have face these kinds of issues with retail copies with duplicate keys, that why I said you need to activate it once you bought it, you can play whenever you want later. What usually happens when there is such a long delay is that the backend data get purged/archived so when raising a issue they will have to dig deep into the archive and hence the delay. Hope FK finds your order and hopefully can give you a new key.

OP
z3rO

z3rO

Journeyman
I study at a boarding school and forgot about it during my earlier vacations.

But aren't the product keys unique and does it really depend on the delay b/w purchasing and activation of a retail copy. I mean when I purchased the retail Orange Box, I got a key and this should be a unique key and no other customers should be given the same key which I got. Isn't it this way ??

Update : Flipkart asked for screenshots of the error. Sent them.

Last edited:
OP
z3rO

z3rO

Journeyman
Flipkart forwarded me to the WWC (Publisher) and they said that its really impossible for them to help.
After a little bit digging I found out that some manufacturers reuse the retail keys if they are not activted even after a year or so after the box is sold. (it was on some forum)

A lesson learnt.

Saving up for the Valve Complete Pack as I own just 2 or 3 games of that bundle. Planning to get it in the summer sale (50% off) :D

Thanks Golum, Neo, thetechfreak, RCuber and gameranand for helping.
I think this thread can now be closed.. Mods..??

Top Bottom