the Open Source hardware thread

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
What are the chances of damaging the board (Pi and Arduino) if I do the circuit wrong? Asking this, as I'm a newbie to electronics and if I mistakenly do anything wrong and power it up.

amjath

Human Spambot
What are the chances of damaging the board (Pi and Arduino) if I do the circuit wrong? Asking this, as I'm a newbie to electronics and if I mistakenly do anything wrong and power it up.

When i connect my components doing electronics projects, i end up burning IC's. So I suggest you to read the link and use the fix befoer doing anything wrong
10 Ways to Destroy an Arduino : Application Note ANCP01

PS: I even burnt a solar panel [small one for a project] when trying to charge a battery, from then i came to know why exactly Diode is used

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
When i connect my components doing electronics projects, i end up burning IC's. So I suggest you to read the link and use the fix befoer doing anything wrong
10 Ways to Destroy an Arduino : Application Note ANCP01

PS: I even burnt a solar panel [small one for a project] when trying to charge a battery, from then i came to know why exactly Diode is used

Thanks a lot :)

I thought I read, somewhere, that Arduino and Pi is built like that way, if I do anything wrong, current won't pass backwards. I guess it was wrong.

TheHumanBot

Padawan
last day i was also going through some video tutorials and noticed too much electronics things going on and wonder the same thing what are the chances that it will give me electric shock? if i messed up anything the whole board will go kaput :lol: but then i also watched their documentry on how they got started and everything and it seems that its build that way that beginners can hardly blew it up if they mess up while doing something.

just 1 thing that do not connect usb cable while your doing programming when you done connect the cable and run your codes.

OP
icebags

icebags

Technomancer
^get a main cord and put the wire ends into pi holes. make the switch on and see if it blows up or not ? :)

(for personal security, please don't forget to wear safety goggles and position urself atleast 10mts away while trying the above experiment with ur favourite pi board.)

TheHumanBot

Padawan
Arduino | Projects, Tutorials, Videos and more Video - element14
Tutorial Series for Arduino - YouTube
Video: Tutorial 01 for Arduino: Getting Acquainted with Arduino - element14

sankar

Broken In
My 7 segment display from 0 to 9 using stm32 discovery.

IMG_20130930_000031.jpg

OP
icebags

icebags

Technomancer
^good. so, it does count from 0 to 9 ?

and educate us a bit about stm32 board, how to use it and where to get it from ?

Mr.Kickass

In the zone
Oh man this is great news :eek:

Arduino Announces new Boards and Collaboration with Intel and T.I.
*makezineblog.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/galileo.jpg?w=620&h=466
A sneak preview of Arduino TRE powered by Texas Instruments
*makezineblog.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/2.jpg?w=620&h=413

One cannot even begin to imagine the magnitude of awe and amusement that is caused by this kind of collaboration. Back in the day it was really impossible to learn about x86 without going through a few hoops because the hardware just wasn't available. The only x86 machine popular was the Windows machine(practically every PC) but the problem was that develompent wasn't as slick as Arduino or Beaglebone.

But this is.... just wow. An excellent platform for anyone interested in learning to code an x86(the Intel Galileo) or an ARM based machine(Arduino TRE)

Now this goes without saying, I never ever ever, put a random link off the web. So these are the standard forums where you get highly detailed answers to even simple questions. Now, digit people are the best guys around so everybody knows AnandTech but for the uninformed there is this electronics hobbyist site called adafruit created by a person known by the pseudonym Ladyada having quite a history. The company is known as the Adafruit industries. So, the links...

Intel Announces Galileo: Quark Based Arduino Compatible Developer Board
(Sorry for the jargon heavy post but that is AnandTech for you :)))

BREAKING NEWS – There is now an Intel based Arduino – Galileo
(News from Adafruit)

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Wow..!! That's really great :)

I must learn basics as fast as possible. Hope I can utilize the festive season holiday coming :)

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Thanks a lot :) I'll surely go through those series and the ones posted above on this holiday :D

Any specific site you would like to recommend for learning electronics basics? Though I'm doing that by googling around, managed to learn how breadboard is designed internally, which helped me understand how can I connect components and all. Need to know more and more :D

Came to know basic things of basic components like Resistors, Capacitors, Diode and all :p

You see, I'm still struggling on basic electronics as I'm not from that background :(

TheHumanBot

Padawan
^ that guy has covered some of the basic electronics which you will need to understand his tutorials.

IF i get my diwali bonus early then i will build that thing for sure.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
@all
Buy BeagleBone Black from here - *tenettech.com/product/2912/beaglebone-black (not available at the moment)

^^ this site is good.
1.Is Uboot/Any bootloader the only thing used to initialize the hardware in board?
Can we initialize hardware later in kernel space from linux?
Do we have to initialize them again from user space though drivers written inorder to use them?
U-Boot's job is simply that of a desktop computer bootloader. Load an operating system. :)

Beaglebone, Raspberry Pi, Pandaboard etc are essentially computers. A secondary media needs to have an operating system.

You use a SD Card flash an operating system on it. U-Boot's job is to boot that. Get the kernel running in the memory, mount devices as filesystems etc.

2.I am just confused how hardware pins maps to registers and peripherals are initialized?
Are they done in user space or driver or bootloader?
When i compare with microcontroller i get confused.In microcntroller we only have a C language
code with infinite while(1){} loop.Before that Oscillators ,Ports ,peripherals are initialized.
Howz that done by Beagleboard and at what stage?
In Linux, you can mess around with the hardware by editing simple text files.

The /sys folder in the filesystem contains these files. So, you can use a program in any language like Python, C etc to edit the content of those files and do the desired task.

3.How does processor know that our Uboot binary is at particular SPI flash?
I mean how is the processor configured/initialized before loading boot-loader to ram i.e the moment we power on?
Embedded Linux platforms like Beaglebone, Raspberry Pi etc are NOT microcontrollers. They are like your normal desktop computers.

You're confusing them with something like Arduino. The 'bootloader' when we talk about Arduino is different and works differently. U-boot is more like the bootloader you see on desktop computers.

In embedded Linux platforms, everything will happen after the operating system boots. Just like it is with your computer.

4.Why do we have some co processor in beaglebone?Is it to program the SPI flash though Serial/USB?
This will tell you more - BeagleBone Black: BBB - Working with the PRU-ICSS/PRUSSv2 - element14

Mr.Kickass

In the zone
Any specific site you would like to recommend for learning electronics basics? Though I'm doing that by googling around, managed to learn how breadboard is designed internally, which helped me understand how can I connect components and all. Need to know more and more :D

Came to know basic things of basic components like Resistors, Capacitors, Diode and all :p

You see, I'm still struggling on basic electronics as I'm not from that background :(

Oh c'mon, I already wrote such a huge post pointing you to the resources(with the links). We even had a conversation in this thread and you forgot all about that ? I'll re-post all that minus the description.

All About Circuits
Basic Electronics Tutorials
edaboard(Not a tutorial but a forum where you can always ask for help when buidling a circuit and btw they really DO help)

Now, this has got NOTHING to do with your query but this is so awesome that I just couldn't help but mention it anyway :-D
letsmakerobots(If you want to make a robot then you should definitely visit this)
Finally, the obvious...

Jeremy Blum's Arduino Tutorial(Both TheHumanBot and quagmire mentioned it sometime ago)

EDIT: Now that you've learnt about breadboards its about time you started building some simple circuits to get a hang of it so that you can move on to the next level

Last edited:

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Thanks a lot to both of you :)

No Mr.Kickass I didn't forget the discussions. But it's just the thing that after returning from office I don't get much time :p

But now I'm determined, I'll do something. Thanks a lot again for all your help :)

Top Bottom