the Open Source hardware thread

Shah

Cyborg Agent
congos, what project you are thinking to do as starter

I have been figuring out what all I can do with the board and the kit I got. Don't have any big ideas.

BTW, Can I use functions with parameters in the sketches?

quagmire

Allllright !
I have been figuring out what all I can do with the board and the kit I got. Don't have any big ideas.

BTW, Can I use functions with parameters in the sketches?

Yes, why not..
Read up on Interrupts and Interrupt Service Routine. I think that will be helpful. The best forum such info is AVRFreaks.

quagmire

Allllright !
^Start following any Project series on Arduino with increasing difficulty (like Jeremy Blum Arduino video series).
You can easily get the components that they use from local electronics retail shops.
Also subscribe to magazines like EFY, Servo, Everyday Practical Electronics, Nuts and Volts, Circuit Cellar etc. They have great tutorials esp. for Arduino. :)

OP
icebags

icebags

Technomancer
not many posts recently :chinscratch:. anyways, to bump things up i will post my little recent arduino work.....

this winter has been very hot (temp at 2 am night)..... :eek:

*i.imgur.com/4LccnGu.jpg

temp isn't very accurate, cause atmega has 1024 step precision and doesn't support analog reference below 1.1v. i did set aref @ something like 2.04v. so 2.04/1023 =~0.002v like precision, and also the sensor is said to be accurate to 1 digit after decimal. overall it may be off by 0.5 or so.....

i have not yet made the logger, need to get a 3.3v ldo regulator for the card, which is not available locally and i think i will order it online later. :/

Last edited:
OP
icebags

icebags

Technomancer
people have become quite quiet. *l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/39.gif

still, i am gonna my share pics of my latest dyi datalogger.....

*i.imgur.com/uYynDOw.jpg
*i.imgur.com/IcxsIKK.jpg

somehow managed to put together the smd, crap soldering. :D
*i.imgur.com/4vroynu.jpg

thinking about making a temperature feedback controlled arduino soldering station. may be that will improve my soldering skills ? :D

any ideas ?

Last edited:

Shah

Cyborg Agent
Can anyone suggest me some ideas to make a simple mini project with/without microprocessor? I need to submit one for my Sem 2 Practicals before February. BTW, I need it to be as simple and cheap as possible.

quagmire

Allllright !
Can anyone suggest me some ideas to make a simple mini project with/without microprocessor? I need to submit one for my Sem 2 Practicals before February. BTW, I need it to be as simple and cheap as possible.

Check this:

Subscribe to magazines like EFY, Servo, Everyday Practical Electronics, Nuts and Volts, Circuit Cellar etc. They have great tutorials :)

@icebags : Some great work buddy. :doublethumb:

Was busy some project of mine, will post details later in this thread.

Some questions:

1. Where did you get the Pin Headers for SD card connection?

2. How did you make the PCB? Looks the rails aren't very neat.
I usually get great results with Toner Transfer method. Even tried 0.65mm pitch TSSOP trace with fairly good result :wink:
Some things I use that help in soldering: Desoldering wick, desoldering pump, Flux of good quality, chisel tip and sharp tips for gun :)

3. Which IC is that? Can you post schematic?

4. Why dont you use a IC base? That way you can reuse the IC later, or replace in the case of malfunction.

5. So could you try USBasp? :)

OP
icebags

icebags

Technomancer
Some questions:

1. Where did you get the Pin Headers for SD card connection?

2. How did you make the PCB? Looks the rails aren't very neat.
I usually get great results with Toner Transfer method. Even tried 0.65mm pitch TSSOP trace with fairly good result :wink:
Some things I use that help in soldering: Desoldering wick, desoldering pump, Flux of good quality, chisel tip and sharp tips for gun :)

3. Which IC is that? Can you post schematic?

4. Why dont you use a IC base? That way you can reuse the IC later, or replace in the case of malfunction.

5. So could you try USBasp? :)

thanks. here are the ans: :)

1. :D those are 90 degree berg pins. read more here, till the last: Cheap DIY SD card breadboard socket these guys should get noble prize for such ingenious ideas.

2. used fine tip permanent black marker with refill inks, i kinda forget how to use eagle at times, also there is no eagle library for 1117 (i need to learn how to make eagle libs), so just painted the line with a steel scale.

3. its 3-state buffer ic, 74HC125 with supply voltage by ic AMS1117 3.3volts (that smd 3 pin one). 74HC125 gives max output as its supply voltage , that would be 3.3v in this case. i.e. it is serving 2 purposes, (a) stabilizer buffer and (b) level shifter from 5v to 3.3v where sd cards operate.

schematic with resistor voltage divider(sd card pins are marked in reversed order though):
*arduinodiy.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/sd-card_thumb.jpg?w=523&h=443
with buffer:
*arduinodiy.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/sd-card2_thumb.jpg?w=525&h=445
my complete circuit:
*i.imgur.com/3BFr9Kn.jpg

4. i dont like the pcb layout, i was too busy thinking how to get everything into that small board, and i messed up some connections, if the ic goes bad, i will make a 2nd version of this with less jumpers and even compact form factor. but this wont go bad anytime soon i think, i even stabilized their power supplies with such a nice big bypass cap. :(

5. yah sure, but don't really need it right now, cause the arduino board is working well as programmer for other chips, but i have all components for usbasp, so that i can try it anytime i need. :)

Last edited:

Shah

Cyborg Agent
Can anyone help me with powering a IR LED? I recently,got it along with a tsop 1738. The receiver circuit I designed is working well when I press a button on a Remote pointing the TSOP 1738. But, I can't make the IR LED to emit at 38kHz. I even tried using IC555 as astable multivibrator to power the IR LED. But, I can't make it to work.

OP
icebags

icebags

Technomancer
what voltage u putting at led ?

1. replace ir led with normal red led and see if its glowing.
2. while ir led circuit is on, see the ir led through ur mobile video cam, if its glowing.

and let us know what u find.

Shah

Cyborg Agent
With 5V (Using 9V battery and an IC 7805 to regulate it to 5V)

1. I already tried it and a normal LED is working.

2. Again, I already tried it. No success. But, Cameras can't detect IR of all range.

Top Bottom