The Official Xiaomi Discussion Thread

Minion

Conversation Architect
Is mi 4 a good phone to buy now ?

Other than not having 4g, expandable storage what else does mi 4 lack ?

Yep good phone if you ignore shortcoming you mentioned.It is better than Asus zenphone 2 laser with better camera,chipset,display and build quality.

KayKashyap

Journeyman
Well i have been using MI4 for quite some time now & have to say its a great phone!! as I don't require 4G couldn't get a better phone.
The Performance,Camera,Display is amazing!!!
But Miui provides no updates,no lollipop yet,battery drains a bit faster.
Other than that,its a very great phone.

pratyush997

Inactive
Well i have been using MI4 for quite some time now & have to say its a great phone!! as I don't require 4G couldn't get a better phone.
The Performance,Camera,Display is amazing!!!
But Miui provides no updates,no lollipop yet,battery drains a bit faster.
Other than that,its a very great phone.
FYI, Xiaomi pushes weekly updates on Developer ROM. Although they do not contain much new features but bug fixes are present.

ankushv

Journeyman
I'm using the developer rom on my redmi note 4g . It's better than miui 6 and very stable . But still no lolliop or a stable cm 12/12.1 with a working back camera .
Miui still has issues with auto killing of apps in the background to save Ram .

adityak469

Training To Beat Goku
Redmi 2 Prime arrived today. Will review it after a few days.
Can anyone suggest good 4.4.4 ROMs to me? And also a working TWRP link?

Innocent Lies

Broken In
Hi was just reading specs on gsmarena for Mi4 and it said "
4G bands LTE band 38(2600), 39(1900), 40(2300) - 4G model"

Doesn't Airtel use 2300 band for 4g in India? Why doesn't 4G work for mi4 in India then?

- - - Updated - - -

Also my Redmi 1s's screen broke any idea how much it costs (even a rough estimate is fine) to get a replacement from the official service center?

bgeing

Broken In
- - - Updated - - -

Also my Redmi 1s's screen broke any idea how much it costs (even a rough estimate is fine) to get a replacement from the official service center?

In general it costs around 40% of the mob price, i.e., around 2 - 2.4k. and also the cost varies depending on the condition of the damage.

amjath

Human Spambot
In general it costs around 40% of the mob price, i.e., around 2 - 2.4k. and also the cost varies depending on the condition of the damage.

My Oneplus one broken screen was asked 11k to replace. The phone price was 22000 its 50%. Either DIY [import from aliexpress] or throw away or use broken screen if it still functions

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Is Mi4i a really good? I want to buy a new Android phone for my dad and want as least compromises as possible with under 10k budget.
So far the only con I have seen is absence of expandable memory card. And for this reason I am starting to prefer Moto G 2nd gen which is being sold at Rs 9k on Flipkart.

Really confused. Read of stuff in Mi4i seems pretty damn good, including the looks and display resolution which is fHD. Battery also seems too good in Mi4i with above 3000 mAh!

And is there stock Android ROM available for Mi4i?

ZTR

Cyborg Agent
Is Mi4i a really good? I want to buy a new Android phone for my dad and want as least compromises as possible with under 10k budget.
So far the only con I have seen is absence of expandable memory card. And for this reason I am starting to prefer Moto G 2nd gen which is being sold at Rs 9k on Flipkart.

Really confused. Read of stuff in Mi4i seems pretty damn good, including the looks and display resolution which is fHD.

Apart from no sd card and perhaps miui there is no fault in Mi4i

And its definitely much better than Moto G2

Nerevarine

Incarnate

Really confused. Read of stuff in Mi4i seems pretty damn good, including the looks and display resolution which is fHD. Battery also seems too good in Mi4i with above 3000 mAh!

Display is better than every 15k android phone

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Apart from no sd card and perhaps miui there is no fault in Mi4i

And its definitely much better than Moto G2

Yes, if I keep a pen drive handy, and teach my dad to copy files on it using OTG, then I guess we can get by this limitation. But seriously what was Xiaomi thinking by keeping this ommision!

Yes, display is 1080p and the PPI along with the battery is making me consider this phone, especially at 10k price on FK app.

Also, I went through XDA for Mi4i for a while. Turns there are many custom ROMs to play with on this phone. But I was interested in only Cyanogenmod. At this moment, there is one CM 12.1 based ROM for MiUi. (Link). And the omerjerk developer who is working hard to make a perfect Custom ROM have resulted in a good ROM, but still needs some polish. So maybe after a month or so, there should be a good ROM for this phone.

But, I don't want my dad to get used to MiUi much before I upgrade it.

Well, looks like Mi4i is the only good choice when specs are considered.

Innocent Lies

Broken In
Same with Camera.

Personally if your Dad is not already used to Android, I find MIUI is excellent for new smartphone users. It's heavier than Stock android for sure but MIUI's specs can easily handle it. The ease of use + feature set in MIUI I find is better than all other OS's, personally.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Same with Camera.

Personally if your Dad is not already used to Android, I find MIUI is excellent for new smartphone users. It's heavier than Stock android for sure but MIUI's specs can easily handle it. The ease of use + feature set in MIUI I find is better than all other OS's, personally.

The lack of App drawer is a con for me. All your apps in one place, and only the apps which you want to access easily - on home screen, is what I prefer. Maybe I can install a third part launcher like Apex to overcome this.

Also, the settings menu is a mess. Acknowledged by a video review I saw (from iGyaan) that the options in Settings menu is very haphazard. And this is something perhaps even Apex launcher can't fix.

Innocent Lies

Broken In
Aren't you buying for your Dad? If so more important what your Dad prefers than you.

My Mum had a tougher time with Stock Android than MIUI, same with my sis but I prefer Stock over it. Depends upon the type of user.

Top Bottom