The Official Windows 7 Discussion Thread

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ priyankashah - if you are interested in using and trying win 7 why not get a trial version from here ;-)

Download Windows 7 (SP1 Included) Free Trial - Performance, reliability, security, and compatibility are core tenets of this release - Softpedia

it comes as a iso file with SP1 included - so just write it on a DVD to make a bootable DVD or create a bootable USB install media using wintoflash.

If you don't need ubuntu just delete all partitions and create a new partition for win 7 ( the win 7 bootable media you give you options for that ) and install win 7 there but before installing win 7 make sure your laptop has proper driver support for win 7.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
How to get back Classic Logon Screen in Windows 7?

Do you want a loging screen where you can type in loging ID along with the password, then this guide helps you do that in Windows Vista. I am sure it would work on Windows 7 too:

How to Make Vista Require a User Name and Password at Logon

tech_boy

The Annoying Thing
Do you want a loging screen where you can type in loging ID along with the password, then this guide helps you do that in Windows Vista. I am sure it would work on Windows 7 too:

How to Make Vista Require a User Name and Password at Logon

Yes, i wanted that. Thanks, it works in Windows 7 too. :)

Raptor1989

Broken In
Guys, I have a huge problem. I bought a new laptop with Microsoft Office 2010 Click-to-Run installed. I wanted to remove it as it was Starter Edition. But unfortunately, there were some complications during the uninstallation. Out of the three programs listed in Programs and Features window during uninstall, 2 were removed without a problem, but the MS Office CTR couldn't be removed. I tried a lot of ways and finally downloaded Microsoft Fix It and removed it. This enabled me to install Office Professional Plus 2010. But the Recovery Partition which was installed with Office Starter couldn't be removed. The partition gives me no access and is wasting 22 GB of my HDD. I have no problems with the old MS Office Starter version, but this partition is bugging me a lot. Please help. How do I remove this? Disc Management operations were futile.

Tech&ME

Banned
Guys, I have a huge problem. I bought a new laptop with Microsoft Office 2010 Click-to-Run installed. I wanted to remove it as it was Starter Edition. But unfortunately, there were some complications during the uninstallation. Out of the three programs listed in Programs and Features window during uninstall, 2 were removed without a problem, but the MS Office CTR couldn't be removed. I tried a lot of ways and finally downloaded Microsoft Fix It and removed it. This enabled me to install Office Professional Plus 2010. But the Recovery Partition which was installed with Office Starter couldn't be removed. The partition gives me no access and is wasting 22 GB of my HDD. I have no problems with the old MS Office Starter version, but this partition is bugging me a lot. Please help. How do I remove this? Disc Management operations were futile.

It's a virtual partition and not a physical partition. Microsoft uses it to lunch Office Starter as Virtual Office product [ Q: ]

To remove the partition, just uninstall Office Starter and Microsoft Click-to-run and then reboot immediately.

The partition will vanish. :)

Raptor1989

Broken In
I removed MS Office 2010 Starter Edition and rebooted. But the partition remains. I installed MS Office 2010 Professional and it works perfectly but the partition remains.

Tech&ME

Banned
I removed MS Office 2010 Starter Edition and rebooted. But the partition remains. I installed MS Office 2010 Professional and it works perfectly but the partition remains.

Hey I told you to remove Microsoft Click-to-run also.

Goto Control Panel --> Uninstall --> Then select and remove Microsoft Click-to-run

Reboot.

OR

If you don't find it listed there then do the following:

Goto Control Panel --> Programs --> Programs and features ---> select Office Starter 2010 ---> click Uninstall

Last edited:

Raptor1989

Broken In
There isn't any click-to-run any more... I used Microsoft Fix It to remove it. At least after that, I was able to install another version. Just the partition remains.

Tech&ME

Banned
hmmm.... the partition if it is Q: then its simply a virtual partition and not a physical partition and it does not take any SPACE of your harddisk.

Just ignore it. If you still wish you can hide it from gpedit.msc

pratik385

In the zone
Hi guys, hope i'm posting in correct thread!

I wanted to shrink my C drive so i did it using disk management.msc and it created 213 GB unallocated space. After that, i right clicked on that unallocated tab and clicked new volume and then next next.. and finish but when it gave me a popup "The operation you selected will convert selected basic disk to dynamic disk....." after clicking yes an error occurred "Dynamic disk are not supported by this OS..." if clicked no nothing happens.

Any solution to create a new partition on the unallocated 213Gb?

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I wanted to shrink my C drive so i did it using disk management.msc and it created 213 GB unallocated space. After that, i right clicked on that unallocated tab and clicked new volume and then next next.. and finish but when it gave me a popup "The operation you selected will convert selected basic disk to dynamic disk....." after clicking yes an error occurred "Dynamic disk are not supported by this OS..." if clicked no nothing happens.

Which OS are you using? Most probably Windows 7. AFAIK, windows 7 support dynamic disks.
But, quoting this from somewhere,
"if the new computer is a laptop you will not be able to use dynamic drives at all. Dynamic drives are disabled if Windows thinks the computer is portable."

So is your PC a laptop?

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Having strange problem. Suppose I format my pendrive in NTFS format and copy files. There is huge delay of around 5 mins before copy completes. Irrespective of size of file there is delay in completion. But no such delay in Fat32 format. What might be problem?

tkin

Back to school!!
Having strange problem. Suppose I format my pendrive in NTFS format and copy files. There is huge delay of around 5 mins before copy completes. Irrespective of size of file there is delay in completion. But no such delay in Fat32 format. What might be problem?
Nothing, in NTFS windows doesn't detect the correct time, you'll also see the speed is much higher when copying(which is false), it doesn't happen with FAT32.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Hi guys, hope i'm posting in correct thread!

Any solution to create a new partition on the unallocated 213Gb?

Use Easeus Partition manager, windows partition manager provides very limited option. Plus, first post a screenshot of your disk management system.

Which OS are you using? Most probably Windows 7. AFAIK, windows 7 support dynamic disks.
But, quoting this from somewhere,
"if the new computer is a laptop you will not be able to use dynamic drives at all. Dynamic drives are disabled if Windows thinks the computer is portable."

So is your PC a laptop?

Dynamic disk will render system unbootable.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Nothing, in NTFS windows doesn't detect the correct time, you'll also see the speed is much higher when copying(which is false), it doesn't happen with FAT32.

You might be partially true but thing is even when I transfer small files of say 10 MB there is delay. Will test with another USB drive and post here soon.

rajnusker

Sage of the Six Paths

Use TeraCopy.

arijitsinha

﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿ O'RLY?
Where to download Windows 7 Home Premium. Sony does not provided the Windows 7 DVD.. and I dont want to use the recovey disc what I created.. It contain lots of useless sony softwares and may format other drives also.

Top Bottom