The Official Windows 7 Discussion Thread

rex

Right off the assembly line
SP1 is an important update that includes previously released security, performance, and stability updates for Windows 7. SP1 also includes new improvements to features and services in Windows 7, such as improved reliability when connecting to HDMI audio devices, printing using the XPS Viewer, and restoring previous folders in Windows Explorer after restarting.

Get the latest update for your Windows 7 from the Microsoft Download Center.

ukesh

Hi Guys.
Installed Win 7 64 bit on my new PC. Config is core I7 2600K, Asus P8P67 Pro with 12 Gigs of Ram. I Haven't installed any processing hungry software's like adobe premiere pro or any latest games too. Windows is crashing Just while viewing HD movies or transferring files to my ext Hard disk. I think my config should do HD movies with ease. While crashing I get the Blue screen of death with one new error every time, And its suggesting to switch off 'Cascading & Shadowing' options in the bios. I googled a bit about this problem and found out that there was some issue with the anti-virus programs or something. So I removed the anti virus too. But of no use, I still get the BSOD. I googled even more and found that there is an issue with the Ram's Voltage. People are suggesting to change the memory voltage from 1.5V to 1.6V. Since I'm new to this Im not sure what to do. Help me out guys.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Even I had this before, happens for 2 thing-

1) Ram or other component somewhere has losse/unproper fitting.
Soln. Refit the ram very very slowly and properly. Dont force them in, let latches come down themselves.

2) A virus/trojan worm exists somewhere.
Soln. Do a scan with updated anti virus. If it shows nothing, do a scan from this site- HouseCall - Free Online Virus Scan - Trend Micro USA

ukesh

Even I had this before, happens for 2 thing-

1) Ram or other component somewhere has losse/unproper fitting.
Soln. Refit the ram very very slowly and properly. Dont force them in, let latches come down themselves.

2) A virus/trojan worm exists somewhere.
Soln. Do a scan with updated anti virus. If it shows nothing, do a scan from this site- HouseCall - Free Online Virus Scan - Trend Micro USA

Th problem was with the Ram. Ran a diagnostic test and found that there was some problem with one of the Memory sticks. Remove that Stick and still now there hasn't been a crash. Thanks Man :)

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
ukesh said:
Th problem was with the Ram. Ran a diagnostic test and found that there was some problem with one of the Memory sticks. Remove that Stick and still now there hasn't been a crash. Thanks Man
No problem man. Happy to help.

Get RAM replaced as its still in warranty

abhinav_sinha

Journeyman
Sometimes after running continuously for about 3/4 hr when I give my pc shutdown command it restarts.Also it never goes in standby mode intead it comes to the log on point where a pc in standby mode comes after we move the mouse or press any key of keyboard. What could be the trouble?(It didn't used to do that earlier)

gameranand

Living to Play
meetdenis said:
My config (check sign) will only allow me to have 32 bit version of Windows 7 and I am ok with that.
You should use 64 bit as you have 4GB RAM.
meetdenis said:
I am aware that 7 is more resource hogging than XP and that software/games need more RAM on 7 than XP.
Well thats not entirely true. Win 7 is faster than XP so....
meetdenis said:
what actual benefit (apart from increased eye-candy) will I have if I upgrade?
Many as a matter of fact...Its Library is much much better than XP... Search feature is good....start meny is more versatile ans user friendly....Simply its much better than XP in most cases.
meetdenis said:
will there be anything that does not work or works worse on 7 than XP?
There are some compatibility issues with some real old softwares or games and 16 bit programs have a problem and also Command prompt don't go on full screen in this OS.
meetdenis said:
what are the benefits/risks of 32 bit version over 64 bit?
Well you should have asked the reverse question. 64 bit is better for you because it can you your 4GB RAM at full potential while 32 bit won't..
meetdenis said:
does 7 have XP mode for software?
Yes.... It has compatibility feature and the higher version (Ultimate and Enterprise) also have a virtualisation for XP.
meetdenis said:
I am into gaming and do not want that my gaming performance (which is above average right now) is hampered by upgrading.
It won't trust me...
meetdenis said:
If you feel I should not upgrade, please suggest so.
You should upgrade.
meetdenis said:
. can I use a dual boot with XP and 7?
Yes you can.
meetdenis said:
how will it impact my system?
No performance issues whatsoever AFAIK.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
meetdenis said:
My Mobo, CPU, are not 64 bit compatible
They are 64 bit compatible. You kust need to install.
All Intel proccy's newer than Celeron(including Celeron) are 64 bit compatible.

meetdenis said:
. can I use a dual boot with XP and 7?
. how will it impact my system?
Doesnt effect anything. You can even triple boot.
Only 1 change, you have to choose the OS and press enter in start up.

gameranand

Living to Play
meetdenis said:
My Mobo, CPU, are not 64 bit compatible. I will have to overhaul my rig. Hence I will need to go in for 32 bit version.
I have seen your config in your signature and I posted that after seeing that so your PC is compatible don't worry about it.
meetdenis said:
I hope this includes the 32 bit version
Yes it is included in 32bit version too.
meetdenis said:
Thank a ton Anand
You are welcome. :)

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
meetdenis said:
Thanks for giving me the good news
pals!
No prob man.
Happy to help :)
meetdenis said:
Will surely give 7 a try now!!
Just backup all your songs, vids and other important documents and files before format so that you can avoid any shock post installation if anything goes wrong.

Cool Comps

Pirate Slayer
guys whats the price of win 7 home premium in kolkata and delhi?
btw if i buy the cd, it will contain both 32 bit and 64 bit versions right?
I will have to choose one of the versions during installation.
Right?

gameranand

Living to Play
Cool Comps said:
btw if i buy the cd, it will contain both 32 bit and 64 bit versions right?
I will have to choose one of the versions during installation.
Right?
No both version are sold separately.
Cool Comps said:
guys whats the price of win 7 home premium in kolkata and delhi?
Don't know about Kolkata but here in Delhi its around 6.5K.

saddy

Broken In
has anyone found any solution on win 7 BSOD problem...i too get it after some heavy gaming ? do we have to install any updates .?

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
saddy said:
has anyone found any solution on win
7 BSOD problem...i too get it after some
heavy gaming ? do we have to install
any updates .?
Try the following=
1 Run Memtest
LINK= Memtest86.com - Memory Diagnostic
download.html
2 disable page file or change its size.