The Official Windows 7 Discussion Thread

Making a Minidump in case of BSOD (System Failure) in win7 :-
First, we want to make sure the computer is saving your dump files. Go to Control Panel > System > Advanced System Settings > Startup and Recovery [Settings] Make sure that "Write Debugging Information" is set to Small Memory Dump (256kb) if it is not already.
Next, make sure that the folder C:\Windows\Minidump exists. If not, create it (allow permission if asked). Make sure any dumps you want to analyze, whether yours or others', are in this folder. You can ZIP/RAR the files and send them to someone else to analyze :D

hansraj

In the zone
Guys.... I found for a couple of days i had multiple instances of explorer.exe running on my desktop(Win 7 ultimate, 64 bit). Everytime i had to end them mannually except for the one with the highest memory usage. When i searched on net for the prob, reading various articles, i came to a conclusion that this seems to be a bug in the OS. One of the good method to have additional instance of explorer.exe running is to use the option of "Open Containing Folder" in the utorrent bit client(i am using 1.8.4, cant say for the latest). How has been your experience..... does anyone else is also facing similar experiences.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Making a Minidump in case of BSOD (System Failure) in win7 :-
First, we want to make sure the computer is saving your dump files. Go to Control Panel > System > Advanced System Settings > Startup and Recovery [Settings] Make sure that "Write Debugging Information" is set to Small Memory Dump (256kb) if it is not already.
Next, make sure that the folder C:\Windows\Minidump exists. If not, create it (allow permission if asked). Make sure any dumps you want to analyze, whether yours or others', are in this folder. You can ZIP/RAR the files and send them to someone else to analyze :D

Most of the time this happens automatically. Why did you post this..? And who is this 'someone' who will analyze the dump, can you..?

Guys.... I found for a couple of days i had multiple instances of explorer.exe running on my desktop(Win 7 ultimate, 64 bit). Everytime i had to end them mannually except for the one with the highest memory usage. When i searched on net for the prob, reading various articles, i came to a conclusion that this seems to be a bug in the OS. One of the good method to have additional instance of explorer.exe running is to use the option of "Open Containing Folder" in the utorrent bit client(i am using 1.8.4, cant say for the latest). How has been your experience..... does anyone else is also facing similar experiences.

I keep a close watch on my Task Manager (squeeze best performance), never saw more than one explorer.exe running. Weird. Is this still happening. Does it also happen in safe mode...?

Why did you post this..? And who is this 'someone' who will analyze the dump, can you..?

In past few days a lot of people reported BSOD and a few were able to give the error message so i thought highlighting this would be useful. Moreover, i can analyse those logs to some extent :) .

hansraj

In the zone
@asigh
well never tried though in safe mode coz its not much of my concern. With my config as of now i hardly ever had problems of sys running slow or something of that sort, so it was only a random check of task manager which revealed this. Also when i checked up on net i found my problem was already being discussed in other forums..... just try and google for multiple instances of explorer in win 7 and you shall come across various such posts.

I've a single 500 GB SATA hard disk with 4 partitions. First I installed Windows 7 in one partition and after installing 7 I installed XP in other partition. Now only XP is booting and no OS choice menu is shown. What could be the problem ? What should I do to boot Windows 7 ? I don't want to format the partition containing 7.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
@asigh
well never tried though in safe mode coz its not much of my concern. With my config as of now i hardly ever had problems of sys running slow or something of that sort, so it was only a random check of task manager which revealed this. Also when i checked up on net i found my problem was already being discussed in other forums..... just try and google for multiple instances of explorer in win 7 and you shall come across various such posts.

Okay great. If you are able to manage it, nice.

In past few days a lot of people reported BSOD and a few were able to give the error message so i thought highlighting this would be useful. Moreover, i can analyse those logs to some extent :) .

How are you guys analyzing BSOD dumps..?

Please Help me...I purchased new HP dv6-2156tx with Win7 Home Premium(core i-5,3GB,500HDD,512MB nVidia 105M)
My windows media player gives following error when switched to video section:
(I have installed Klite codec pack 5.vlc media player latest)
Error screen:
Code:
[IMG]*tweetphoto.com/25727248[/IMG]

it says x264vfw {error}: avcodec_decode_video2failed...
this continues flashing for 5 seconds in a window...den stops...
whts dd solution??

Ponmayilal

Attitude matters
+1 for Shark 007's Windows 7 Codec. That is the only codec pack required for playing all Video formats in Windows 7 Media Center. I have been using it since the evaluation version of Windows 7 was released and I have not installed any other codec pack and/or media player. Uninstall any other codec pack and media players that install any codec pack alongwith, before installing the Shark007 codec pack. Too many codecs can only spoil the broth.

Hsakarp_kahtap

CG Artist++
I have a doubt
I got a genuine win 7 from a online friend of me . I installed it on my pc and activated it its working fine . My Question is can i activate it of another system after formating it from my old pc ( planning to buy a new amd rig) ,as my fried suggest i can installed it on the same pc as many times i can but i if upgrade my system ie. add another 2 gb ram on the same pc and windows recognized is a another system .Is it so ? or is there is any way by whic i can deactivate or migrate/transfer the licence to my new rig so i can use genuine os on my new rig.

Last edited:

deshu123

Right off the assembly line
I am not able create new partition Win7 and getting error when I m while going through new partition Wizard process.

Please suggest me the solution, is there any setting need to be changed or I can use any other 3rd party software

Can you please give some more info on the error, your partition table and no. of hdds? If possible, please put a screenshot of the 'Disk management' over here.

Krazzy Juniorr

Hi guys,
I have a Intel Core 2 Duo E6500 2.93 GHz, 2 GB DDR3 Ram, and 250 GB HDD, Based on a G45 onboard graphics solution
I am dual booting with Windows XP professional in C , and Windows 7 ultimate in D, both run perfectly fine.
BUT the issue is with games. I had installed the games given in this months' DVD in both windows 7 and xp. but the games' performance was totally different. In xp all games run smoothy but the same games are very sluggish in win7. If the issue was with video card then i could understand but everything else like movies run perfectly in windows 7.
I had installed SuperTuxKart,and Smoking Guns in both. the latter refused to start in windows 7 and the former ran very sluggishly.While both ran without an tantrums in windows xp.
But games like Counter Strike run perfectly in Windows 7 too..... what may be the problem?????

Nemes!s

Broken In
If you have a good download speed, i would suggest you to download the evaluation RTM from the microsoft website. Your processor is a x64, you can use a x64 version of windows, but you only have 2gb RAM, so you dont need to go for 64 bit, you can use 32 bit with ease, i would suggest you to go for 64 bit only if you are planning to upgrade to 4 gb ram or more.

I don't know why you giving wrong information to others....with 2gb ram he can easily run win7 64bit...

if anyone has upto 4gb ram he can use win7 x86 (32bit) or x64(64 bit), its upto his/her choice...

win7 64 bit is recommended when someone has more than 4gb ram... coz 32bit operating system has limitation to use upto 4gb ram and not beyond thats is why they came up with winXP 64 bit and win7 64 bit.

All 32-bit versions of Windows 7 can support up to 32 processor cores, while 64‑bit versions can support up to 256 processor cores.

Krazzy Juniorr

Now i don have issues ..... i had messed up with audio driver installing an xp one instead of windows 7 one :))

---------- Post added at 01:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:43 PM ----------

@celldweller1591.. ya maybe but no problems as of now.........
@anupam_pb.... i think you need to change the default OS by going to system>startup and recovery and there tick the option for asking boot menu.... i think it will work

Top Bottom