The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters

preshit.net

ex3n1us m4x1mus
hey guys,

everyone feels that the new iPhone is really cheap.... but thats not the case so.....

look at the star at the price of iPhone 3G in apple site...... of course apple was never into hidden charges stuff.... but looks like they are now...

its going sold for people who has to enter for a 2 year contract vth AT&T.... generally AT&T gives packages of 40$ a month...but for iPhone they are going to charge customers 60$...

so calculate the extra money one has to pay 20$ * 24 months.... 480$....so in total u are paying 780$........

boss its not cheap as u guys think.......

When the iPhone was first launched, at $599, that too was tied with a 2 year contract with AT&T and it had a special plan to be used with the iPhone.

The same has been done now too. Except that you pay a little extra monthly because you're getting 3G service and not the age old EDGE. Ofcourse Apple isn't selling you the phone so cheap. It is subsidized.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
@goobimama and anyone else involved with design and stuff:
Launch DigitalColor Meter. It’s a great application. Check it out.

getpriyanth

Broken In
When the iPhone was first launched, at $599, that too was tied with a 2 year contract with AT&T and it had a special plan to be used with the iPhone.

The same has been done now too. Except that you pay a little extra monthly because you're getting 3G service and not the age old EDGE. Ofcourse Apple isn't selling you the phone so cheap. It is subsidized.

dude the terms and conditions quoted then were completely diff to the one which they are going to use now.... of course we got to wait for some more days for getting all the details.

getpriyanth

Broken In

point is 3G 8gig u wont get for 199$ if u plan to unlock because u need to pay contract violation charges which makes it 370$

at&t retail policy have a look

h@@p://gizmodo.com/5014909/att-memo-to-retail-managers-shows-iphone-3g-policy

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
In the demonstration of the push notification service for iPhone developers, Scott Forstall showed a slide of how Samsung handles the same thing. They actually have a task manager where you’re supposed to figure out which applications are the most resource intensive and quit them manually. Forstall comments, “This is nuts!”

LOL! :lol:

Also, Phil Schiller referred to ActiveSync as “Active Stink”, though that part was chopped off from the video of the keynote (must have been a slip of tongue). Apple is in too much love with Microsoft’s Exchange and ActiveSync stuff these days. Keeping their enemies closer indeed.

@Priyanth,
Yes, the new iPhone is indeed costlier than the first generation device, when you look at its long-term prospects. But not a lot of people are going to pay any heed to that, so expect them to sell like those Lays chips packets anyway.

I also wrote about it here.

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy
@aayush: thanks for digital color meter but I prefer ColorPickerPro.

Now I'm using this Safari 4.0 Developer Preview.
1. You can create those Web apps. Nice.
2. You can set it to open a bookmark or your homepage every time you open a new window or tab. Excellent!
3. The inspector has also been revamped. You can now dock it to your page so you don't have to move around all the time. Also has a lot of debugging action going on.

goobimama

 Macboy
File > Save as Web application. I'm talking about those separate apps for separate sites. I think Flock does this kind of thing?

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Oh, that is indeed cool. Never thought they would add this feature. Gotta download it and write it up for MacUser. Thanks! :)

-----------

In an interview with Steve Jobs, CNBC’s Jim Goldman told him that investors were worried that the decreased price of the iPhone might hurt the revenues of the company in the long term. Steve’s response is one I completely agree with, “Well, you know, I think we’ve done pretty well for our stockholders over the past decade. And I would just encourage them to trust us that maybe we know what we’re doing and maybe we’re pricing this in a way that’s gonna be great for everyone.” [Emphasis mine.]

Exactly. It’s Steve Jobs. The guy knows what he’s doing, people.

----------------------

From O2 UK’s press release:
Best of all, the new 8GB iPhone won’t cost you a penny on our £45 and £75 tariffs. And it’s just £99 on our £35 tariff and new £30 tariff.

All tariffs include unlimited browsing on your iPhone, unlimited Wi-Fi access, visual voicemail and reduced roaming rates with our International Traveller Service and are subject to a minimum term contract of 18 months.
[Emphasis mine.]

Yeah, you read that right. It’s gonna be free. I’ve no clue what they’re thinking. The iPhone brand might lose all respect…

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy
Yeah well, at 45 pounds a month, they are going to make a minimum of 1500 pounds. That's quite a lot. But I guess those brits pay that much for stuff anyway.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, Safari 4.0 launches and 'feels' faster overall. Current RAM usage with two tabs open (forum and Tuaw) is just 53MB!

Last edited:

jamesbond007

 MacManiac
I just finished watching WWDC Keynote video on itunes and boy, what a presentation !!
I can't control my happiness every time I see Steve comes on stage with applause from his fans. Excellent keynote and a must watch for everyone.

MacWorld'08, iPhone roadmap, WWDC'08 and what's next ?? I want to know when is Steve's next Keynote.

@goobi

My problem isn't solved yet, did you check the screenshot on the previous page ??

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
His next presentation will be in Sep-Oct. They usually happen at three-four month intervals. :)

His presentations are mind-blowing, of course, though this one definitely wasn’t the best example.

2. You can set it to open a bookmark or your homepage every time you open a new window or tab. Excellent!
Even TUAW lists this as a new feature. Are you guys sure this is new, because from what I can see, it’s available on Safari v3.1.1. on my end.

And dude, how could you not have mentioned this feature:

*img292.imageshack.us/img292/6019/safariuseragentib9.png
AFAIK, it’s new to this release. I’m sure it will address compatibility issues with most incompatible websites.

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy
Definitely sure that you couldn't make it open your homepage on creating a new tab. Not sure about when you create a new window.

As for that user agent thing, it was there in the earlier version as well. It basically tricks the site into thinking it is running a different browser. However, if Safari is actually incompatible with the site, then it won't change anything.

In other news, is Microsoft trying to tell us something? :D
*movabletripe.com/static/enuz.png

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
The only difference I see are in the version numbers :)
… and the quality of the screenshot. :p

---------------

I just added something to Transmission that I’d partly downloaded using µTorrent. When I browsed to the folder I’d downloaded the data to, I accidentally went one step further and chose the folder that was being downloaded. Any other torrent client, I think, would’ve started a completely new download within a folder in my already partly downloaded folder. I hope I’m making myself clear.

Transmission, on the other hand, displayed this warning:

*img177.imageshack.us/img177/6885/trasmissionsgeniuswd6.png

This is just pure genius. The fact that they realise people can make mistakes like this one and provide a simple, intuitive warning is exactly the sort of thing I love Mac applications for.

Top Bottom