The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters

slugger

Banned
those of u thinking of of migrating to Mobile Me would b served beter if u go thru this bit of News b4 into bed with Apple

MobileMe 30-day Free Extension No Help, Users Still Angry

Immobile Apple

Apple Blows Its Chance With MobileMe

in its current state the service sounds more like [im]MobileMe

phunny how the Macboy subscribers on this forum have been conspicuous by their silence on this issue :rolleyes:
nobody[users] found the need to report it

goobimama

 Macboy
If in case you haven't noticed, we don't really post about news stories over here. Each of us use our own means of getting news stories so it is pointless posting them here as well. Secondly, this news has been all over the Apple world, so its nothing new.

Thirdly, the complaints have been mentioned in this thread itself, if you had bothered to check.

MobileMe 30-day Free Extension No Help, Users Still Angry
Apple has publicly apologised for the mess and has provided a 30 day extension for everyone. This by itself is pretty sweet. They have also said they will stop using the word Push till they get everything fixed.

Immobile Apple
This is one isolated problem for this guy and his contacts. They work fine for me.

Apple Blows Its Chance With MobileMe
Again, the push thing has been mentioned, Internet Explorer incompatibility, and the iDisk Share file button which was one of the awesome features that were missing.

In any case, the initial MobileMe lag has gone. The web interface is super fast, syncing is working just fine, albeit at a 15 minute interval, and I think it is totally worth the $20 that I spent on it.

Last edited:
since the original thread was closed, and I didn't have the chance to reply to aayush, here it is:

You can get most (if not all) of Mac OS X’s features, but you can never get the usability. It’s impossible.

You’ll add a Dock to Linux and something similar to Exposé and you’ll think you have it pinned down. But will you be able to right click on an icon in the Dock and set it to launch at login? Will you be able to drag a file’s icon from the titlebar in an open application and drag it onto the Desktop to create an alias? Will you ever be able to see the status of your online contacts in Google Talk while browsing their emails in your email application of choice? I think not.

That’s what usability is all about. These theme makers can imitate Mac OS X all they want but they can never bring you the overall cohesiveness and functionality of Mac OS X and its hallmark ease of use. :smile:

Now, can we not have this discussion all over again, please? I think this thread should be closed now.
Hardly. You think dock is the only thing about usability from our point of view don't you ? You think we linux guys stare at awe at OSX and want all of its themes and looks for ourselves ? No thank you.

There are much better things out there and I love using them. My original statement, with reference to the phrase mac like features meant ease of use and total extreme functionality, the way it is on a mac. It means simple and non intrusive interfaces, extreme ease of use, not having to bother about anything except the task you are trying to accomplish, configurability to any extent, total security, etc.

I for example, use Arch Linux. Its the simplest OS I have ever used, and its simple yet elegent style can never fail to impress me. Since its so configurable and highly customised for my hardware, I have no issues with it. Its speedy, light weight and has a no-nonsense set of applications.

These are things that Apple has tried to accomplish in its own Operating System. And these same things are available in other operating systems as well (for example, Arch), and hence I said what I said before, i.e, a mac is meant to be bought for all those things that are notthere in other computers - some hardware level changes, and iLife.

Finally, I would just like to add that everything you said about what to expect from a dock is also possible from linux. You should have done your homework before comming and arguing. And by the phrase these theme makers I hope for your own good you know what you are saying.

Anyway, all I can say to conclude is that you atleast have refrained from using fanboyish language and have decided to stick with logical thinking. Hope you continue with similar attitude while continuing the discussion. :)

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Oh, duuude, you don’t give up.

Look, I’m in no mood to argue or discuss anything with you. You’re a Linux user and Linux users, by their very nature, are at the absolute opposite end of the rope when compared to Mac users. We have different ideologies and priorities and can never agree when it comes to our computing choices. I love Apple’s closed business practices that tie me in. To you, that sounds strange. You want everything to be inter-compatible and open. I don’t mind paying for good software if I have to, even if there are free alternatives present. You think all software should be free (don’t say you don’t—I’m very familiar with all that hypocrisy). I love how Apple stuff is not very customisable and is therefore makes it less likely for me to screw my own computer and gadgets. You want everything to be customisable to the ‘T’. I scurry away when I see the word Terminal mentioned somewhere and it’s like a magnetic attraction for you. I think the mouse and the GUI are the best things that ever happened to computers. You could very easily have done without them.

Mac and Linux users are just as different as it’s possible for any two individuals to be. I respect that you’re a harcore geek and love to tinker with your computer and make it absolutely unique and customised. Even if it means having to get down and dirty with it, sometimes screwing it up in the process, you love that challenge. I don’t. I appreciate well written software that doesn’t require me to know anything about its back-end. I like that I can just open my computer and get to work without ever having to worry about anything else at all. I take comfort in the fact that if something ever goes wrong with it, I can call up a helpline number and get all the help I need from professionals for free.

I and you are different people with very different needs. You can never figure out what makes us drawn to the closed, proprietary Apple stuff. I can never wrap my head around what makes you want to mess with the innards of your computer and do it all yourself. Let’s just leave it at that, shall we? Just don’t say that any Linux distribution (or any other OS in the world) is the same as Mac OS X in any respect—no, they’re not and never can be. Because the basic principle is different. Mac OS X has a level of usability that no other OS in the world can ever have, at least to my mind.

End of story. Period. :)

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Uh… pills? What? :?

------------

I just noticed something on the bottom of my Netgear router:

“Designed by NETGEAR in California”

Sound familiar? :D

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
I take it you haven't watched the Matrix Trilogy. Non-nerd alert!
Oh, I haven’t, although I’ve always been meaning to. I’ll watch them now on my 24-inch iMac (oh yeah, I love to throw in mentions every now and then).

-----------------

For the first time, I regret something about my Mac and iPhone—they do not do 802.11n. I changed my Time Capsule’s configuration to make it to only 802.11n (2.4GHz) right now and the network strength and range instantly improved. I’m getting full strength all over my house on my sister’s MacBook right now.

Damn! Why don’t my MacBook Pro and the iPhone do 802.11n? OK, I know why the MacBook Pro doesn’t but why doesn’t the iPhone do it! Arrghh! :mad:

goobimama

 Macboy
Disclaimer: I have no idea what I'm talking about.

802.11n is supposed to be a wireless device with 3 antennas or radios. Based on something called MIMO (Multiple Inputs Multiple Outputs). Currently most 'n' routers have these 3 antennas while notebook wireless card's are juiced enough to support this MIMO standard. However, 802.11 'n' chips have not yet been made for mobile handheld devices owing to which the iPhone has to suffer with 802.11g networking. Again, pay close attention to that disclaimer.

Oh, duuude, you don’t give up.

Look, I’m in no mood to argue or discuss anything with you. You’re a Linux user and Linux users, by their very nature, are at the absolute opposite end of the rope when compared to Mac users. We have different ideologies and priorities and can never agree when it comes to our computing choices. I love Apple’s closed business practices that tie me in. To you, that sounds strange. You want everything to be inter-compatible and open. I don’t mind paying for good software if I have to, even if there are free alternatives present. You think all software should be free (don’t say you don’t—I’m very familiar with all that hypocrisy). I love how Apple stuff is not very customisable and is therefore makes it less likely for me to screw my own computer and gadgets. You want everything to be customisable to the ‘T’. I scurry away when I see the word Terminal mentioned somewhere and it’s like a magnetic attraction for you. I think the mouse and the GUI are the best things that ever happened to computers. You could very easily have done without them.

Mac and Linux users are just as different as it’s possible for any two individuals to be. I respect that you’re a harcore geek and love to tinker with your computer and make it absolutely unique and customised. Even if it means having to get down and dirty with it, sometimes screwing it up in the process, you love that challenge. I don’t. I appreciate well written software that doesn’t require me to know anything about its back-end. I like that I can just open my computer and get to work without ever having to worry about anything else at all. I take comfort in the fact that if something ever goes wrong with it, I can call up a helpline number and get all the help I need from professionals for free.

I and you are different people with very different needs. You can never figure out what makes us drawn to the closed, proprietary Apple stuff. I can never wrap my head around what makes you want to mess with the innards of your computer and do it all yourself. Let’s just leave it at that, shall we? Just don’t say that any Linux distribution (or any other OS in the world) is the same as Mac OS X in any respect—no, they’re not and never can be. Because the basic principle is different. Mac OS X has a level of usability that no other OS in the world can ever have, at least to my mind.

well, you got most of the things right except the part that I don't like propiatary stuff. I love linux as a platform, not just because its open. Who said I don't use propiatary apps in it ? I LOVE UNREAL TOURNAMENT 2004. PERIOD. Its just that I love my stuff to show my own indivuduality, and I hate excess of unnessary over-smartness displayed by software.

Anyway, I think your words put everything else rather perfectly.

cooldudie3

Boom Boom Boom
Man, so many "linux" users like to come in this thread and like to attack.
Do you need a time capsule for time machine or does any pocket hard drive work? I am still not using time machine and i'm afraid that I willl mess up my MBP.
P.S. I am still taking my first steps toward mac.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
You can use any external hard disk drive in conjugation with Time Machine. Time Capsule just makes it wireless and more reliable and longer lasting. :)

narangz

Web developer
For the first time, I regret something about my Mac and iPhone—they do not do 802.11n. I changed my Time Capsule’s configuration to make it to only 802.11n (2.4GHz) right now and the network strength and range instantly improved. I’m getting full strength all over my house on my sister’s MacBook right now.

Damn! Why don’t my MacBook Pro and the iPhone do 802.11n? OK, I know why the MacBook Pro doesn’t but why doesn’t the iPhone do it! Arrghh! :mad:

Can't you use 802.11n USB based wireless card on your MacBook Pro?

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Dude, there are only few things in life simpler than configuring an Apple wireless device from a Mac. You just turn the router on, turn on Wi-Fi on your Mac, launch AirPort Utility and it lists the router in the sidebar on the left (and selects the first one). Then you just hit Continue if you want the wizard to help you out and Manual Setup for doing some of the more advanced stuff like changing the frequency and all. That’s it. :)

Can't you use 802.11n USB based wireless card on your MacBook Pro?
I could, I guess, if I knew what they were. Care to point me to them? :)

I’ve decided to purchase an AirPort Express to extend my network’s range. I obviously cannot stick to just 802.11n and I’m tired of the spotty coverage (though it did show a major improvement when I placed it properly). Gotta shell out Rs. 4,500 more for it but it will be hidden with the cost of the iMac. Kisi ko pata nahin chalega! :p

Last edited:
Top Bottom