The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
-----------------

Digit has this "I love my laptop" contest running. You write a review of your notebook, send it to them and the best entry wins a brand new notebook (they don't even mention which one).

That's so stupid. Why would I want to win a notebook if I already love my existing notebook? LOL! :lol:

jamesbond007

 MacManiac
jamesbond007 said:
Quick Tip :

Press and hold Ctrl + shift + Eject to immediately turn off lcd display

A small correction, you don't need to hold the keys, just press them together..

@dinesh72
It should work on every MacBook, MBP and MBA. I am not sure if it works on iMacs... Try again press ctrl + shift and then press eject. All three must be pressed at this moment..

jamesbond007

 MacManiac
^^^hmmm helping to developing that thing... I will try it some time later...

Quick Tip:

In many of apps like Safari, Mail, Textmate etc... when you encounter a word that you are not familiar with, just select it, point your cursor to it and press Cmd+Ctrl+D, you'll get a small pop up like thing that gives you its dictionary meaning. Now press and hold Cmd+Ctrl+D and hover your mouse over the entire sentence, you'll get meanings for every word that you hover your mouse to, just remember to keep the hold on the short cut key mentioned above while hovering the mouse/cursor.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
:lol: tech2 just reported this, i only put it here, I didn't know it was so cheap

*www.tech2.com/india/news/mp3-audio-players/apple-ipod-shuffle-price-slashed/35401/0

goobimama

 Macboy
You can get it for like 2.4k or so actually. Don't you remember that big thread that was going on when the shuffle dropped to $49 and the 2GB was introduced?

jamesbond007

 MacManiac
Not to spoil the party or anything but Milind meant that this particular tip is so basic and common that everyone knows it. :)

Milind is goobimama right ??? So we have to live with his sarcasm. BTW weren't you the one who once warned that goobi's sarcastic humor may not be everyone's cup of coffee ;-)

Anyways, these days I am going through a lot of Mac related stuff, like videos, podcasts, screencasts, youtube tuts etc etc, I thought sharing some of my favorites would help anyone joining the Mac club. It doesn't matter even if they were very BASIC!!! Anyways..

Quicktip :

When you need to select some text, point and tap your cursor to the start of the text now move to the end of the text, press and hold Shift and then tap the cursor, entire text will be selected.
Its very basic but we don't need to scratch our trackpads to select some text.

jamesbond007

 MacManiac
Oh common how can I ever feel that way. In fact I am very lucky to have begun my Mac experience right from here....

I am very thankful to you guys arya, goobi, dr, darky etc etc

Last edited:

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
James Bonda (Bonda is a savory in South India; have you heard of the famous Mysore Bonda?) -
Good tips man. I knew the dictionary thing (yay!) but I would like to discover more cool tips and tricks.

Keep the bondas coming.

mighty_himm

Right off the assembly line
hi..
i own a 24'' imac(intel procesr)
i want to know how do i connect to internet through my nokia 6630(airtel gprs,via data cable),
i used launch2net but cant afford the full version... any scripts which i can use for this...

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
You can connect via Bluetooth. Want help with that, or is data cable the only option? (Bluetooth is way more convenient though.)

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Steve Jobs said:
You can't just ask customers what they want and then try to give that to them. By the time you get it built, they'll want something new
found it in a newspaper under a column "Quote in the Act" quite right actually, but this by no means explains a lame bluetooth