The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters

goobimama

 Macboy
Finally! I actually have connected my broadband at home. Hats off to Linksys for making an awesome awesome setup! They even had an option, choose your carrier. Just click on BSNL, enter the user/pass and it's done! Wolla! Finally my iMac can breathe...:)

jamesbond007

 MacManiac
Congrata- F*ing - lations man!! You've gotta faaaaat pipe!

But wait whats that Linksys thing, is that a WiFi router ?? If its Wifi router why do you need to connect at all. Just go for always on in its settings. But Bsnl doesn't give WiFi routers!!

goobimama

 Macboy
Linksys WAG200 - G. They almost have it as simple as the Apple Airport Extreme setup (though not as classy!). With the added feature of choosing your connection.

preshit.net

ex3n1us m4x1mus
About Automator, it's really really easy to create your own workflow. Just fire-up Automator and you can find your own way out.

jamesbond007

 MacManiac
^^^
Thats what I've been doing all day, and still couldn't get head and tail of Automator!! Can you post a small tut with an example to resizing images ?? That would help me a lot

yash

I draw every day
So I can expect to be able to download around 20GB each night on my 2mbps connection back home? (I use rapidshare or megashares.)

jamesbond007

 MacManiac
Hold on Yash!! 2Mbps connection means you get around 240kbps download/upload speed!! The general formula is Download speed = connection speed / 8.
I am sorry you won't be able to download more than 5gb between 2am to 8am.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
OK, answer time. I'm surprised Milind has let a few of these slide by unanswered.

iCal works beautifully for me , it reminds me everyday at 7:30 am to stop my Transmissions or pay huge bills !!!
Why do you need to do that? Go to 'System Preferences >> Energy Saver >> Schedule...' and set your Mac to wake up at 02:10 AM and sleep at 07:40 AM everyday (it'll actually sleep ten minutes later). Now, just fire up Transmission, resume all your downloads and set your Internet connection to connect automatically before you go to sleep every night. It's a completely fail-safe procedure. You can thank me later. :)

How to resize, batch resize images ?? (I really miss Irfan View!!.) Any app is Okay but I want the steps
No need for any applications, dude. It's a Mac we're talking about here. Did you forget?

Select all the images that you want to resize and open them in one Preview window. Now hit ⌘A and all of them will be selected in the sidebar. Then go to 'Tools >> Adjust Size...' and adjust the size according to your needs. After it's done adjusting them all, hit ⌘W to close the window and it will give you the option to save all changes in one go (just hit return).

There you go. No third party application required. :)

Guys I am facing a very big problem for some time now. I use Transmissions for p2p. Every day between 3 am to 7:30 am I download about 3gb. The files that I download are around 4.5gb and its not possible to download them in one shot so I pause the download.
Today I paused a file of 4.41gb, 2.91gb was downloaded, now when I resume the download, Transmission starts to recover ( as if it does ) the downloaded file....... it recovers 198mb ( pathetic!! ) and starts the downloads!! Now how disgusting is that. I try every trick in the book to recover the downloaded file but for no use. This has happened to me over a dozen times now and I must tell you that it is really painful. I need to switch over to other client or need a solution for Transmission!!
I'm pretty sure you have an outdated version of Transmission. Update it to the latest one in the business (v1.06) and it should be smooth as butter.

Don't, under any circumstance, switch to any other torrent client. Almost all the rest are Java-(under)powered and you'll regret it till the day you're breathing your last. Avoid Java like the plague.

Enjoy. :)

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
^^
Eh? I run Azureus (not Vuze) and it works like a charm. Tried the latest version of Transmission. Still it's nowhere near Azureus or µTorrent.

Nevertheless one should not use any other client other than Azureus, Transmission or µTorrent on a Mac.

yash

I draw every day
oh azeem, you need to be clear about bps and Bps. small b is used for bits and capital B for bytes.
download speed is EQUAL to the connection bandwidth. only, we don't see the size of files in bits. we see it in bytes. so you ARE downloading 2 megabits per second. and so I will only be able to download about 5 gigabytes each night...

yash

I draw every day
hi, I have a request for anyone who can use numbers. can you please make me a template that resembles this pdf?
*yashrg.googlepages.com/financial.pdf thanks in advance.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
I have some transfers in the list now does installing new version of Transmissions retain them or dump them ??
If your version was giving you the problems you mentioned above, the transfers will get messed up when you upgrade. Once you've upgraded though, future upgrades won't give you this problem.

I was pretty pissed too when those two buggy versions of Transmission were released and I started loosing my downloaded data. I'd almost decided never to use it again but then, (a) I was left with no other option apart from paying for Acquisition (which I was seriously considering); and (b) Stopping the BitTorrenting.

So when I noticed that the bug had been fixed in later versions, I decided to give it a second chance and it is friggin' awesome now.

I do wish there were more torrent clients for the Mac though. Only two torrent clients for the entire platform, only one of which is free! That's a shame. Only TWO!!

The Henry Ford quote I was talking about was this:
If I'd asked people what they wanted, they would have asked for a better horse.
Read the rest of his quotes too. Almost all of them are inspiring.

Last edited:

dinesh72

Journeyman
First day on my MBP was good. Packing is so superb that I've decided not to throw it away at all. Installed few small apps and was surprised initially to know what exactly is happening!Not so difficult though. Struggled a bit to know how to shut down but in a minute bit the apple in the menu bar and found my way again. Added all the songs on external hdd to itunes and sync my ipod. The problem now is it is still in windows format and won't be updated if there is any firmware update. I tried to look for how to format my ipod to mac but I think I've to restore the whole thing. Internet is restricted at the work site so I've to live with it.
anyway so far so good. afterall I am on a right forum to find my way through.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Download some utility like PodTunes or Senuti and copy all the songs from your iPod to your Mac. Format the device and copy them back. :)

To shut down, press the power button and four options will come up. Just hit return.

Packaging is pure brilliance, of course. I still have mine.

One advice from a longtime MacBook Pro user: Never shut down your Mac. Once you're done for the day, just close the lid and wait for the light on the button on the front to start pulsing. It will look like it's breathing. Your Mac is now asleep. It uses very little battery in this state (almost negligible) and you can get back to work, with the state of all your applications intact, in just a few seconds. It's magic. Try it for a few days and you'll forget shutting down your machine.

I love it when someone buys a Mac around these parts. It's fun to play the genius and solve their newbie queries. :p

Enjoy your new Mac and welcome to the family. :)

jamesbond007

 MacManiac
Thanks Arya that image resizing was too good! On your world I am giving my last try on Transmissions!!
I use the Energy Saver Scheduler to shutdown Mac at 7:25am but never used that wake up thing. Now to use that wake up thing I 'll have to put my Mac to sleep and before putting it to sleep do I have to start Transmissions ?? ( I mean start downloadss and not pausing ).

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Yes, launch Transmission, resume the downloads and (this is important) set your Internet connection to connect automatically and put it to sleep.

Alternatively, you can do what I do. Use some application like Aurora to schedule Transmission to launch at some particular time. Then you won't have to put your Mac to sleep. You'll have to resume your downloads before quitting Transmission if you use this method. :)

yash

I draw every day
damn! I am so jealous of all you guys talking about downloading right now! we exceeded our monthly limit of 60 gigs and we are now on what I call, 'probation' we have to survive on one gig till 1st april or else we'll be disconnected yet again!

Top Bottom