the Official Intel Core ix thread for desktops and laptops

amitash

Intel OCer
Re: The Official Core i7 (Intel's nehalem) Thread

OOh, i see, so a Side fan DOES REALLY help..in lowering the temp of the gpu alil' say by 3-4 Degrees is it ??

In my case a side fan cooled things by around 6-9C, mostly because my gpu takes in cool air at the top and exhausts from the side, with the side panel closed, this creates a hot air pocket and the gpu doesnt get fresh air, it gets its own exhausted hot air back, but a side fan solves this...also, my PSU which is at the bottom used to absorb some of the hot air from the GPU so i had to add a side fan to prevent this.

How do I measure the GPU temp.. ?? any application for the same.. ?? do let me knw dude..and how to control or speed up the fan spinning too ?? via BIOS ?? or any s/ware for that too.. ?? (watever it is, do giv me a simple yet elaborative detail.. plz)

Use Riva Tuner, a free utility for monitoring temperatures and clocks of the GPU...also you can OC your GPU and increase fan speed with this utility..

*img20.imageshack.us/img20/2362/riva.th.jpg

Click customize and follow the pic.

Guys, also Amitash, which nVIDIA driver is the stable, 186.18 is available on Nvidia's site, shud i d/load it..?? (coz i guess sum 18x series of driver update for the GPU was really unstable, dunno wich one)

I havent updated to 186.18 yet...I cant really be sure, it all depends on your GPU, it might be stable on mine and not on yours...just try :)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

ooh thanx, :)

i was tensed abt the temps.. :p
==========

BTw, the DELL Ultrasharp LCD 22" 2209WA (e-IPS panel) is jus NOT available anywhere in DELL too.. :( i dunno wen they are plannign its launch.. u hv any news on that .. it will be helpful.. coz if they (DELL) are planning to launch it in 2-3 months, then im not waiting for it, jus goin with Samsung 2233SW (22" FullHD LCD).. wat say.. ??

Strange!! try going to this website & click on Yes I'm Interested link ( dell will contact you ) :p :
*www1.ap.dell.com/in/en/business/mo...spx?refid=monitor-dell-2209wa&cs=inbsd1&s=bsd

Samsung 2233SW is good enough though it's a TN based one ( as far as I know )

ALso, ther's another series of LCD's from Samsung, dubbed the "LAVENDER" series coming in 21.5" and 23" variants, fullHD(i guess) .. here's the link: *www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/9623129/Sam...descreen-LCD-Monitor-Rose-Black/Product.html# and this too ---> *www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?SAM-P2250#

My dealer 4warded me an email of the same, so searchd for it and came up with the above 2 links.. plz put ur comments on that.. (i knw its new so comments or reviews are hard to find)..
=================
----------

Don't know much about Lavender series but it's response time is lower than 2233SW. So I think it ought to be a good one. So if you can get it on a reasonable price get it. BTW, what's the price of those models you dealer is quoting ?

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner

to all: got myself a Samsung 2233SW LCD 22" (cudnt wait anylonger guys for the DELL IPS panel LCDs) :p

this Sammy 2233SW fullHD costed me Rs.10,500/- and a DVI cable costed me Rs.250/-

all's working gr8 but i jus cant set/reset (change) the contrast setting (set to 76 in CUSTOM mode) maybe i'll try to update my gpu driver to 186.xx
--------

But overall, this LCD is working gr8m, tried watching movie -- Pirates of the Carribbean and the colors were jus fantastic, also tried Crysis on the max reso of 1920x1080 and all went smooth with no GHOSTING or and LAG or dizziness with the frame rates.. :)
------------

In my case a side fan cooled things by around 6-9C, mostly because my gpu takes in cool air at the top and exhausts from the side, with the side panel closed, this creates a hot air pocket and the gpu doesnt get fresh air, it gets its own exhausted hot air back, but a side fan solves this...also, my PSU which is at the bottom used to absorb some of the hot air from the GPU so i had to add a side fan to prevent this.
ooh i see, thnax for the explaination, will connect my side fan of the cabinet to the power supply...and see :)
Use Riva Tuner, a free utility for monitoring temperatures and clocks of the GPU...also you can OC your GPU and increase fan speed with this utility..

Click customize and follow the pic.
ok thanx, will try this s/ware :)

I havent updated to 186.18 yet...I cant really be sure, it all depends on your GPU, it might be stable on mine and not on yours...just try :)
ok, will do that today, :)

Strange!! try going to this website & click on Yes I'm Interested link ( dell will contact you ) :p :
*www1.ap.dell.com/in/en/business/monitors/monitor-dell-2209wa/pd.aspx?refid=monitor-dell-2209wa&cs=inbsd1&s=bsd
Yup, tried even calling them , they hv no news on this e-IPS panel LCD :( so instead bought myself a 2233SW :)

Samsung 2233SW is good enough though it's a TN based one ( as far as I know )
yup, u right, its a TN panel but i saw no performance glitches or slowdowns (read my 1st para) :)
Don't know much about Lavender series but it's response time is lower than 2233SW. So I think it ought to be a good one. So if you can get it on a reasonable price get it. BTW, what's the price of those models you dealer is quoting ?
Well, dealer has got no Price quotes as yet, and told me it wud take even a month to see wen the LCD is gonna get launched.. :)

but on international sites, the price was quoted as 180-200 pounds... :)
-----------

NOTE: will post pics soon of my new setup and LCD with sum pics of the LCD while running crysis and sum movies (non HD) (currently getting HD movies from *ahem..* sources) ;)
-------------

Cheers n e-peace....

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

^^ Congrats :p enjoy HD Gaming & movies ( even if it's from ahem sources ) :p

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner

^^ THanx alot dude.. :) hv been playing Crysis at the max reso and still no glitches.. :D

afonofa

Journeyman

To all the core i7 owners here, how many years do you think your core i7 rigs will last? In the following context:

• 1. the hardware remaining in working condition.
  • 2. the hardware being able to match the increasing requirements of software.

Here hardware refers only to the psu, mobo, proccy, hdd and ram. (since gpu will probably have to be upgraded in 2-3 years at the maximum)

amitash

Intel OCer

1.I wouldnt worry about the hardware remaining in working condition...It will live for a long long long time, provided you dont overvolt it.

2.IMHO:

PSU: you probably wont need to change this untill it dies mainly because hardware nowadays requires lesser and lesser power to run...I would say a good psu will easily last atleast 4+ years

mobo: The intel x58 chipsets and the lga1366 socket both support the new intel procys coming mid next year which are the westmeres (6cores 12 threads) so i dont think you will need to upgrade the mobo for atleast untill the next archaetecture of intel procys aka sandy bridge comes out sometime late in 2011 (this is the predicted time)

procy: The 8 threads of the core i7 are a very formidable force indeed and since no game or program fully utilizes this raw power you can expect to see the performance increase considerably in the coming 2 years...IMO if you buy nehalem now, its best to skip the westmeres as i think it will last all the way till sandy bridge comes out.

HDD: whn you run out of space obviously.

RAM: this too will last a really long time as ddr3 isnt utilized perfectly yet...It should last along with ur procy till the next arch comes out.

hjpotter92

The Boy Who Lived

I have core i7, with intel's DX58SO mobo, Transcend 1333MHz 1x3 GB RAM sticks, Grafix card is NVIDIA 9600 GS. PSU : ZEbronics 600W, 320+500 GB HDD with 500 GB being external. I use the same as your monitor ashu(sync master 920 NW :) ). I have some troubles in BIOS of the system. i shall note them down, and put it later, tomorrow.

BTW, do we have to change bios for running windows 32 bit and 64 bit versions?

hjpotter92

The Boy Who Lived

ere is the problem with the BIOS:
i am facing a trouble in BIOS. in the advanced tab inside it. there are some options out of which foll. are worth concerning.:

1. Boot Config.
In side this. there is a option: Max. CPUID value limit. what is this?
2. peripheral config.
in it. another option is there: enhanced consumer IR. again what is this for?
3. Chipset config.
what is PCI Latency Timer for?
4. Drive config.
ATA/IDE mode has two opt. native/legacy
configure sata as has 3 opts: IDE/RAID/AHCI
S.M.A.R.T. canonly be enabled or disabled.

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner

To all the core i7 owners here, how many years do you think your core i7 rigs will last? In the following context:

• 1. the hardware remaining in working condition.
  • 2. the hardware being able to match the increasing requirements of software.

Here hardware refers only to the psu, mobo, proccy, hdd and ram. (since gpu will probably have to be upgraded in 2-3 years at the maximum)
1.) Well, i will use my core i7 system till its last drop of working voltage.. :D

(i was able to run and still maintain to run my p4, 2.0Ghz system on a 7600GS 256MB AGP card and 4x512MB DDR-1 (400)RAM) along with this core i7 system (see siggy) ... so i think its not the point of how much time the hardware will last but how ppl use it.. :)

I use my p-4 2Ghz system everyday for 20hrs (for tor*3nt$ stuff) :)
------------

I have core i7, with intel's DX58SO mobo, Transcend 1333MHz 1x3 GB RAM sticks, Grafix card is NVIDIA 9600 GS. PSU : ZEbronics 600W, 320+500 GB HDD with 500 GB being external. I use the same as your monitor ashu(sync master 920 NW :smile: ). I have some troubles in BIOS of the system. i shall note them down, and put it later, tomorrow.

BTW, do we have to change bios for running windows 32 bit and 64 bit versions?
naa, u dnt hv to change anything in BIOS to run either 32bit or64bit OS buddy.. :)

btw, now i hv a new monitor, Samsung 2233SW (FullHD) 22" (and i also DO hv the old SyncMaster 920NW LCD too, for my p4 system wich i use jus for torr**t$ :D
--------------

Cheers n e-peace..........

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner

===================
------------------------
===================

Ok, guys

I need to install Win XP PRO+SP3 (64bit) or VISTA (64) bit onto my system (core i7) as i already hv WIN XP PRO+SP3 (32bit)

i think the installation fora DUAL OS Setup wud be straight forward.. right ?? :confused:

or shud i keep in mind anything.. ?? also, wich is better ?? XP (64 bit) or vista (64 bit) ??
------------

Cheers n e-peace....

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

There is no thing as XP 64 bit SP3 :p unless you got something from torrent ( ahem... )
sites :p

I'm using Vista Home premium x64 with Sp1 ( will upgrade to so2 later ) :p without any probs. So from my personal experience I would tell go get vista x64 :p

For installation first install xp, then vista :p

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner

^^

aah thanx (i maybe wrong on that SP3 64bit part, maybe..lol..)

the thing is, i already hv Win XP PRO+SP3 (32bit) up and running now, perfectly... :)

so, can i straightaway jus boot from Vista 64bit and install normally.. (onto a separate drive, ofcourse..) ??? :confused:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

^^

aah thanx (i maybe wrong on that SP3 64bit part, maybe..lol..)

the thing is, i already hv Win XP PRO+SP3 (32bit) up and running now, perfectly... :)

so, can i straightaway jus boot from Vista 64bit and install normally.. (onto a separate drive, ofcourse..) ??? :confused:

You should install vista on the same drive ( different partion ) where xp is installed. That will give option for dual boot without any issue.

or

say you are installing vista on a separate drive. 1st configure it as a boot drive in bios. Install vista. Now you may or may not have the option for dual booting. If you don't get the option for dual booting after installing vista just use a software called BCDEdit for that. With this software you will be able to add xp on the vista's boot loader.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

Xp is lot better than vista.

It depends greatly on personal choice :p Some will say xp is the best & some will swear by vista. It's like comparision between windows & linux or PC & Mac.

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner

You should install vista on the same drive ( different partion ) where xp is installed. That will give option for dual boot without any issue.

or

say you are installing vista on a separate drive. 1st configure it as a boot drive in bios. Install vista. Now you may or may not have the option for dual booting. If you don't get the option for dual booting after installing vista just use a software called BCDEdit for that. With this software you will be able to add xp on the vista's boot loader.

naa, i hv jus one Drive (1TB WD HDD) so will follow option-1 :)

It depends greatly on personal choice :p Some will say xp is the best & some will swear by vista. It's like comparision between windows & linux or PC & Mac.
yeah rightly said.. its like wich girl is hotter of the 2..lol...the blonde or the brunette ;)

amitash

Intel OCer

For your config, i wud say vista 64bit...you have the hardware so why not?

Top Bottom