the Official Intel Core ix thread for desktops and laptops

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
Re: The Official Core i7 (Intel's nehalem) Thread

Thank buddy. I got the point.Can you please post a pic of that power cord & what should I exactly tell the shopkeeper to get this power cord. I don't think he will recognise it if I tell him to give me a ICE 320 13 power cord. So in simple words what should I tell him if I want to buy this power cord.

But you can cut up the ground pin of that Rs. 30 ICE 320 13 power cord & see if this helps. Do it @ your own risk

Here is the pic of tat power cord (below) :)

[img=*img144.imageshack.us/img144/6465/3143.th.jpg]

Well, wen i went to the Shopkeeper (ANupam Stationary, Mumbai) I told him tat I want a power cord that shud hv a CPU wala power cord that shud hv a female and a male connector (at its extreme ends) so he got the point and told his worker to give me a
2 way power cord

This is the best u can ask for.. if that guy has confusion in understanding this, then u can tell him that U want a CPU power cord (the one tat goes at the back of the CPU Cabinet) and the other end shud hv a male connector instead of a 3pin plug (5 amp plug).. he'll get the point.. :)

Better go to a computer stationary shop and ask for this cord.. :)
---------------------

sohancool wrote:
Hi Guys, first of all, this is a great thread. After browsing through, i have some questions-
I will be buying a core i7 920 based desktop sometime in the next month(yippee!! Finally upgrading my 3.5 yr old p4 machine ). I will be using the core i7 for gaming(at med resolutions 1024 X or something like that) and video encoding - x264 .These are the questions i have in mind-
1) I will be buying a single GTX260 OR HD4870 Graphics card. What is the recommended PSU rating for the above + if i buy a ups(assuming i buy at least a 19"LCD monitor), what will be the KVA rating needed for that?
2) On Hothardware.com, they have reviewed DDR3 modules of different frequencies(1033,1600etc). What will be the most efficient RAM frequency to go for, how much RAM is sufficient for now(3GB,6GB etc) and can i fit a 4GB module in there?
3) I Live in Pune, so are the components mentioned above in the configs available there?
4) And last but not the least, which is the most decent motherboard to go for(i assume the prices wont change much in 1 month )
My budget for the whole system as of now is 70+/-2K(Will a 19" LCD be justifiable for such a config?)

1.) DO not buy gtx260, instead get a gtx280 SSC (Super super clocked) edition for Rs.22.7K or if u hv a budget of 35K jus for gpu, get a gtx295
(but after looking at ur budget of 70K, i dnt think a gtx295 is worth buying for tat budget) ..

also, since u will be building a Core i7 system, ur PSU shud be a min of 750W (Corsair TX750) if u jus plan to hv one gpu (graphics card) all thru ur core i7 config for years.. but if at all u wanna think of adding another (2nd) gpu card or even a 3rd card, then its better to go for a 1100W PSU (Tagan BZ1100) and yes, and these PSU's are Active PFC type PSU's wich in simple terms means tat u NEED TO HAVE a pure Sine wave o/p wala UPS (see the image in my reply #10) APC'S SMART UPS range of UPS are all Active PFC supporting UPS since they generate pure sine wave at the o/p wich is gr8 for Active PFC PSUs.. :)

So, if the PSU is an ACTIVE PFC type pf PSU, get a Pure Sine Wave UPS
(hope u got the clarification)..... :)

If the PSU is 750W, a 850VA rating UPS is good enough, if the PSU is 1000W or more, get a 1500VA rating UPS

2.) As of now, a 3GB RAM kit (from Corsair or from G Skill) is enough (as per ur budget) :)
(note: sum mobo support 12GB of RAM and sum support upto 24GB of RAM)

3.) Well, u can get ur components from here ---> www.theitwares.com its a really trusted site and i hv made all the purchases from tat site and also many of the guys here in this thread too.. :)

4.) if u dnt wanna OC, then get Gigabyte's GA-EX58-UD5 as its the best board out there at a very gr8 price (of 17K)
if u are into OCing, get Evga's X58 mobo at a price of 22.5K (from theitwares.com)

19" LCD is very much suitable for this budget.. :)
------------

Cheers n e-peace..

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

Here is the pic of tat power cord (below) :)

[img=*img144.imageshack.us/img144/6465/3143.th.jpg]

Well, wen i went to the Shopkeeper (ANupam Stationary, Mumbai) I told him tat I want a power cord that shud hv a CPU wala power cord that shud hv a female and a male connector (at its extreme ends) so he got the point and told his worker to give me a
2 way power cord

This is the best u can ask for.. if that guy has confusion in understanding this, then u can tell him that U want a CPU power cord (the one tat goes at the back of the CPU Cabinet) and the other end shud hv a male connector instead of a 3pin plug (5 amp plug).. he'll get the point.. :)

Better go to a computer stationary shop and ask for this cord.. :)

Thanks a lot buddy :p
-----------------------------------------
Posted again:
-----------------------------------------
sohancool wrote:

1.) DO not buy gtx260, instead get a gtx280 SSC (Super super clocked) edition for Rs.22.7K or if u hv a budget of 35K jus for gpu, get a gtx295
(but after looking at ur budget of 70K, i dnt think a gtx295 is worth buying for tat budget) ..

also, since u will be building a Core i7 system, ur PSU shud be a min of 750W (Corsair TX750) if u jus plan to hv one gpu (graphics card) all thru ur core i7 config for years.. but if at all u wanna think of adding another (2nd) gpu card or even a 3rd card, then its better to go for a 1100W PSU (Tagan BZ1100) and yes, and these PSU's are Active PFC type PSU's wich in simple terms means tat u NEED TO HAVE a pure Sine wave o/p wala UPS (see the image in my reply #10) APC'S SMART UPS range of UPS are all Active PFC supporting UPS since they generate pure sine wave at the o/p wich is gr8 for Active PFC PSUs.. :)

So, if the PSU is an ACTIVE PFC type pf PSU, get a Pure Sine Wave UPS
(hope u got the clarification)..... :)

If the PSU is 750W, a 850VA rating UPS is good enough, if the PSU is 1000W or more, get a 1500VA rating UPS

2.) As of now, a 3GB RAM kit (from Corsair or from G Skill) is enough (as per ur budget) :)
(note: sum mobo support 12GB of RAM and sum support upto 24GB of RAM)

3.) Well, u can get ur components from here ---> www.theitwares.com its a really trusted site and i hv made all the purchases from tat site and also many of the guys here in this thread too.. :)

4.) if u dnt wanna OC, then get Gigabyte's GA-EX58-UD5 as its the best board out there at a very gr8 price (of 17K)
if u are into OCing, get Evga's X58 mobo at a price of 22.5K (from theitwares.com)

19" LCD is very much suitable for this budget.. :)
------------

Cheers n e-peace..

^^ Good suggestions Buddy :p. But I've one suggestion for him :

For the LCD go with BenQ 22 inch HD lcd. It's only Rs. 9-9.5K.

=============================================

@ sohancool

Since I think you will be encoding HD movies with that rig. HD movies will simply shine with the core i7, GTX 295 gfx card & that BenQ 22inch HD monitor.

& why you want to be a low end gamer with such high end rig config. OMG!! a future GTX 295 & core i7 ownner wants to play games at 1024*768 with low to medium details. Thats crazy. Get that 22inch HD lcd & enjoy gaming
in HD resolution with high settings with full glory. :p

Last edited:

amitash

Intel OCer

1) I will be buying a single GTX260 OR HD4870 Graphics card. What is the recommended PSU rating for the above + if i buy a ups(assuming i buy at least a 19"LCD monitor), what will be the KVA rating needed for that?
2) On Hothardware.com, they have reviewed DDR3 modules of different frequencies(1033,1600etc). What will be the most efficient RAM frequency to go for, how much RAM is sufficient for now(3GB,6GB etc) and can i fit a 4GB module in there?
3) I Live in Pune, so are the components mentioned above in the configs available there?
4) And last but not the least, which is the most decent motherboard to go for(i assume the prices wont change much in 1 month )
My budget for the whole system as of now is 70+/-2K(Will a 19" LCD be justifiable for such a config?)

1.core i7-920--15k
2.corsair 3gb ddr3 1333--7.5k
3.2xMSI HD4870 crossfire--25k
4.BenQ T2200 22"---9k
5.Gigabyte UD3r---14k
6.corsair 650W---7k

Total--78k

darklord

Cyborg Agent

1.) DO not buy gtx260, instead get a gtx280 SSC (Super super clocked) edition for Rs.22.7K

I Wouldnt do that.Reason being, the newer 216 Shader model of GTX 260 is very powerful and when clocked can equal GTX 280.GTX280 is known to be a bad clocking card.So if you think, GTX260 makes more sense.
If i was in such a fix I would do something entirely different, Since 4850 has become so cheap, I would buy 2 of them and CF them, I would end up spending 16-17k, lesser than even GTX 260.

but if at all u wanna think of adding another (2nd) gpu card or even a 3rd card, then its better to go for a 1100W PSU (Tagan BZ1100)

Not really. For 2 cards, The TX 750 will be more than sufficient. 3rd Card is an overkill according to me anyways.

With that budget, I would be looking at this,

i7 920 - 15.5k
Gigabyte X58 UD5 ( for the flexibility of SLI & CF) - 18k
3GB DDR3 RAM - 7k
Corsair TX750 PSU - 7.5k
Palit ATI 4850 - 8k
22" Viewsonic LCD - 11k
CM690 Chassis - 4k
Samsung/LG DVD-RW - 1.2k
500GB WD HDD - 3k

Total - 75.2k

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner

Thanks a lot buddy :p
Not a problem dude.. :)

btw, are u planning to buy tat UPS topgear ?? (the one tats in my siggy) ? coz im guessing tat the UPS was the main reason y u and i were worried abt cabling and connections.. :)

^^ Good suggestions Buddy :p. But I've one suggestion for him :

For the LCD go with BenQ 22 inch HD lcd. It's only Rs. 9-9.5K.
Yeah, rightly suggested topgear.. :)
=============================================
1.core i7-920--15k
2.corsair 3gb ddr3 1333--7.5k
3.2xMSI HD4870 crossfire--25k
4.BenQ T2200 22"---9k
5.Gigabyte UD3r---14k
6.corsair 650W---7k

Total--78k
Looks like the OP has got many options to choose from.. :D
------------

Cheers n e-peace...

sohancool

Broken In

Thanks for all the replies..guess i need to stretch my budget a little..you guys were of great help :grin:

vikrant333

Owner of Core i7

Now guys here is my purchase

Intel Core i7 920- 15400/-
Gigabyte x58 UD5- 17800/-
Corsair 3Gb 1333MHz- 7400/-
Corsair 750TX - 8000/-
CM HAF 932 - 9200/-
Western Digital 1TB 32MB cache-5800/-
Other products still thinking mainly for Gfx card and monitor which one to buy?
TRUE 120 - not available in india yet still waiting

Last edited:
OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner

Thanks for all the replies..guess i need to stretch my budget a little..you guys were of great help :grin:

Yup, tat wud be better, if u wanna enter into gaming.. and also for a lil bit of futureproofing..

Now guys here is my purchase

Intel Core i7 920- 15400/-
Gigabyte x58 UD5- 17800/-
Corsair 3Gb 1333MHz- 7400/-
Corsair 750TX - 8000/-
CM HAF 932 - 9200/-
Western Digital 1TB 32MB cache-5800/-
TRUE 120 - not available in india yet still waiting
Well, for monitor, go for Either Dell or for BenQ's HD monitor 22"
for the gpu, (im an nVIDIA fan) so go for nVIDIA.. :D

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

Not a problem dude.. :)

btw, are u planning to buy tat UPS topgear ?? (the one tats in my siggy) ? coz im guessing tat the UPS was the main reason y u and i were worried abt cabling and connections.. :)

No buddy. Actually I was planning to buy a APC 650VA UPS which has same type of sockets.

Here's the product page & pic :p

*www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BK650MI&CFID=14752287&CFTOKEN=70424480

*www.apcmedia.com/resource/images/500/Back/BK650MIback.jpg

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner

^^

aahh.. i see, well yes these sockets are the same as my APC UPS.. ok ok .. :)

amitash

Intel OCer

Depends on your budget.

If 25k then get 2 MSI HD4870's for 12.5k each and crossfire them

If less than 20k get 2 4850's and crossfire...Both setups will easily beat the gtx-280/285.

vikrant333

Owner of Core i7

Depends on your budget.

If 25k then get 2 MSI HD4870's for 12.5k each and crossfire them

If less than 20k get 2 4850's and crossfire...Both setups will easily beat the gtx-280/285.

plzz clear my doubt on gfx card ..
if i purchased the 1 nvidia gtx 285 now after sometime when i want to upgrade the system and put the new series of gfx card frm nvidia supposed GTX 3XX .then it will possible to add tht gfx card or i shuld buy another GTX 285 ?????

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner

^^

well, im not so sure, (so let other ppl clear that out) ..but in general wat i think is tat, wen u hv got one card as gtx285, the other subsequent cards (1 or more) shud also be the same as gtx285...

Coz, i now hv gtx280 SSC edition, so in future i think i'll hv to buy gtx280 only (if i wanna make it as a SLi)..
-------------------

Also, to amitash:

hey dude can u jus post a pic of ur TRUE wen attached to ur CPU, coz i wanna see if tat thing exactly fits onto ur Evga X58 mobo and also how it looks.. :)
-------------

Cheers n e-peace....

amitash

Intel OCer

@vikrant: no u will not be able to put 2 different series of cards in sli or crossfire...If u go for ati you can use hybrid crossfire to put 2 gfx cards of the same series in crossfire eg: HD4850 and HD4870 but u will NOT be able to crossfire on 2 different series like HD3870 and HD4870..

Ashu chek thi out: *www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hard...ga-x58-sli-lga-1366-motherboard-review-5.html

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner

@vikrant: no u will not be able to put 2 different series of cards in sli or crossfire...If u go for ati you can use hybrid crossfire to put 2 gfx cards of the same series in crossfire eg: HD4850 and HD4870 but u will NOT be able to crossfire on 2 different series like HD3870 and HD4870..
And does this apply to nVIDIA cards also bro ?? i mean a gtx280 with another gtx280 ONLY ?? :confused:
Ashu chek thi out: *www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...-review-5.html
Ok, thanx :) checking tat out.. :)

darklord

Cyborg Agent

And does this apply to nVIDIA cards also bro ?? i mean a gtx280 with another gtx280 ONLY ?? :confused:

Ok, thanx :) checking tat out.. :)

I Dont think SLI supports different models of same series in SLI. Has to be same model, brand could be different.

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner

yaa i also thought tat way.. :)

btw, thanx for the clarification, so it means tat if i hv a EVGA's gtx280 SSC Edition now, for an SLi, i shud hv <any brand> gtx280 <SSC> in future also... right.. ??

Or w'out the SSC is fine.. ??? :confused:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

SSC comes with pre oced bios - which has more speed than normal ones.

If you install two gfx card - say one ssc & one non ssc then it may cause prob coz two cards will run @ different speed or the ssc could downgrade to non ssc cards speed.
So it will give you less performance.

So it's recomended to buy another ssc edition card or card which has same clock speed as ssc edition.

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner

^^

thanx again for the clear info dude...:)
-----------

Wat i fear is tat, after a year will this Evga gtx280 SSC will be available or no.. :confused:
if no, then i'll hv to buy it this time itself.. (for the fear of its production/availability being halted)... wat u say.. ?? any ideas.. ??

coz, say it or not, this card costs a bomb at 22.7K.. :(
-------------
Edit: after installing the Neat Digit plugin (using greasemonkey script file on FF) the post quick reply option jus DOES NOT automatically highlight my new post, to see the post posted by me, i always hv to do F5.. :( any one else facing this problem.. ??
--------------

Cheers n e-peace....

darklord

Cyborg Agent

^^

thanx again for the clear info dude...:)
-----------

Wat i fear is tat, after a year will this Evga gtx280 SSC will be available or no.. :confused:
if no, then i'll hv to buy it this time itself.. (for the fear of its production/availability being halted)... wat u say.. ?? any ideas.. ??

coz, say it or not, this card costs a bomb at 22.7K.. :(
-------------
Edit: after installing the Neat Digit plugin (using greasemonkey script file on FF) the post quick reply option jus DOES NOT automatically highlight my new post, to see the post posted by me, i always hv to do F5.. :( any one else facing this problem.. ??
--------------

Cheers n e-peace....

If at all you are keen on doing SLI just for the kicks, why not go for GTX 260 216SP SLI ? will work out cheaper.

Buying GTX280 after an year is outright stupid. Even though it would be available, there would be cards out by then which will butcher GTX280 SLI even in single card configs and would be faar cheaper too.

Think about it :)

Top Bottom