The Official ATI RV770 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

nvidia

-----ATi-----
Re: ATI HD 4870 & 4850 launch & price?

^^Just wait before you tweak. Might void your warranty. Can't you increase the fan speed from ATi Catalyst Control Center?

shantanu

Technomancer

If your computer still heats even after you increase fan speed to 100% just do what i have done, remove the cover of the case( many expert don't approve it ) or apply AS5 of the GPU core but for that you have to remove fan from the GF.
:eek: my GF ( girl F ) does not have a FAN attanched :p lol ! i already did MX-2 which i bought from the INDIA distri @ 300 bucks :) no good !they said might take 3 days for the paste to settle ! weird :(

^^Just wait before you tweak. Might void your warranty. Can't you increase the fan speed from ATi Catalyst Control Center?

is there a option ? i didnt found any ?

Last edited:

shantanu

Technomancer

i gues mine is the MICROWAVE EDITION :D lolzzz ! downloading Rivatuner :( ( i think its for nvidia)

nvidia

-----ATi-----

^^Damn... Your Microwave Edition beat my Electric Stove 8600GT. :)):lol:

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl

my fren's old FX 5950 Ultra was an induction stove edition which easily crosses 140c, yet was oober stable.
@shantanu
just ask MSI guys that if u can manually do it? and will it void the warranty?
and is they didnt bring up with a soln soon, then the card might be ashes and they ll have to RMA it.

btw, yup it ll take some days, i mean a min of 50~75 hrs of working for the paste to acquire its true property. At first its state is not good for heat transfer, but its easy to apply. After its been treated to heat of bout 100c for some hours, its chemical structure changes and its heat transfer property ill begin to show up.
ive read it somewhere on net...on a comparison b/w diff pastes.
also, any aftermarket cooler that was built for HD 3850 or 3870 will fit perfectly for HD 4850/4870.
but still, those cooler's fan will draw power from card's connector, so will run under speed, due to bios bug. But those cooler's which draws external power from a molex for the GPU might works perfectly.

janitha

Wise Old Owl

my fren's old FX 5950 Ultra was an induction stove edition which easily crosses 140c, yet was oober stable.
@shantanu
just ask MSI guys that if u can manually do it? and will it void the warranty?
and is they didnt bring up with a soln soon, then the card might be ashes and they ll have to RMA it.

btw, yup it ll take some days, i mean a min of 50~75 hrs of working for the paste to acquire its true property. At first its state is not good for heat transfer, but its easy to apply. After its been treated to heat of bout 100c for some hours, its chemical structure changes and its heat transfer property ill begin to show up.
ive read it somewhere on net...on a comparison b/w diff pastes.
also, any aftermarket cooler that was built for HD 3850 or 3870 will fit perfectly for HD 4850/4870.
but still, those cooler's fan will draw power from card's connector, so will run under speed, due to bios bug. But those cooler's which draws external power from a molex for the GPU might works perfectly.

True about AS-5 but not MX-2, which doesn't need a breaking in period or thermal cycles AFAIK.

OP
B

Blackfire

Journeyman

:eek: my GF ( girl F ) does not have a FAN attanched :p lol ! i already did MX-2 which i bought from the INDIA distri @ 300 bucks :) no good !they said might take 3 days for the paste to settle ! weird :(

is there a option ? i didnt found any ?

i mean graphic card

shantanu

Technomancer

^ i know man ! kiddin :D ,

well problem solved at last ! the IDLE temperature is about 56C now and at loads it is going to 70 atmost after 4 hrs..

Solution : MSI gave me a BIOS file to update :)

Thanks MSI and everyone :p

If HD4850 is Rs. 9.7K, whats the current price of HD4870 ? And is the 1GB version available yet ? I think 512mb is soon going to become obsolete, and I think it will be horrible for anyone if a repeat of the old 7900GT situation occures, when people prefered to buy 256mb version over the 512mb version.

@Shantanu: How about making changing this thread title "The Official ATI RV770 Discussion Thread" ? I am sure it will take a lot of time for the hype to disappear.

I think maybe ATi themselves did not realise in the pre-launch days that RV770 is going to become a HUGE success. Perhaps they underestimated their own GPUs.

And yes, the last thing I want to see in the market now is a Radeon HD4870 with 1GB ram which is GDDR3 instead of GDDR5. Thats going to take away all the good things said about the chip. They N.E.E.D. to give 1GB GDDR5 to do something good.

nvidia

-----ATi-----
^^But that will also increase the cost of the card. But if the card can be sold under 25k, then it will still have good vfm.

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
@nvidia
4870 is under 15k locally which is just 5k more expensive than 4850.
And we get a better cooler, higher clock GPU, GDDR5 instead of the GDDR3 etc for that 5k

so i think ATI can easily produce 1GB 4870 under 20k.

btw whats the min price of 260 GTX in here?
last when i heard was for some 26k
1GB 4870 will easily beat 260GTX and even challenge GTX 280.

^^AFAIK, the 4870 costs around 18k. And adding 1GB of GDDR5 will cost a lot more..
Nope. 4870 is available at little less than 15K. This for the 512MB version. An extra 512MB should not increase the cost beyond 18K IMO. 3K for 512MB itself is a bit high. I seriously doubt GDDR5 can be THAT expensive.

keith_j_snyder2

Rising ApocalypsE
Well well well! What did i miss?
I can see that my good friends are talking about the 1GB graphics cards. Psyched!
Well actually 1GB won't make a big difference into 4850,4870. Those 512MB are more than enough.
I read a review at guru3d that used a 512MB 4850 & a 2GB 4850 & the difference was marginal. Infact, 512MB shows much better performance than the 2GB version.
Well we can count on HD4870X2, thats about to wait but - more beef isn't always better!

Well well well! What did i miss?
I can see that my good friends are talking about the 1GB graphics cards. Psyched!
Well actually 1GB won't make a big difference into 4850,4870. Those 512MB are more than enough.
I read a review at guru3d that used a 512MB 4850 & a 2GB 4850 & the difference was marginal. Infact, 512MB shows much better performance than the 2GB version.
Well we can count on HD4870X2, thats about to wait but - more beef isn't always better!
We are talking about HD4870 not HD4850 ;):p:cool:

Since you mentioned HD4850, I would like to say that it too can do with a ram increase, to maybe 640MB or 768MB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom