The Official ATI RV770 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
Re: ATI HD 4870 & 4850 launch & price?

It is very much possible, but maybe not in the coming 6 months..Agree with Gautham, 9600gt is too pricey if u can get a 4850 for 9.7k. Also 9800 gt could be like 8800gt with performance higher than gtx 260 at much lower price.:p

but GTX 260 is even better than 9800GTX+, then how cud a 9800GT be better than GTX 260, even if it ll be priced lower ?
I think nvidia cud do better if they moves to GDDR4 or 5. Even the 512 bit mem interface is struggling due to GDDR3. And next limitation is the 65 nm manufacturing technology.
they can solve many problems if they move to 55nm TSMC like lower power consumption, smaller die, more transister counts, better clocks, smaller cards and lower price. But still they are trying to fool around with same old DX 10.0 cards with 65nm and GDDR3, which they started with the old 8800GT, then on 9600GT, 9800GT, and now on GTX 260/280 too.

Hrithan2020

In the zone

Even if it releases the 9800GT, nVidia wont go anywhere. ATi will still continue to dominate. 4850 will surely come down by at least a small margin when the 9800GT comes out. So nvidia stands no chance right now unless they release a new series.

Dont be so sure.For AMD's sake, i hope it doesn't happen in the near future.For all you know, 9800gt may be technically a new series (same architecture,but enormous changes ), but has been named deceptively "9800 gt"(could be manufactured in 40 nm, unlikely as TSMC recently announced a delay in shifting to 40 nm and i'm pretty sure it won't be named 9800 gt as they have shifted the new architecture to a new nomenclature,but just a possibility)..:eek:

Last edited:

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl

I wonder why ATI isnt releasing a card like HD 4850 X2? it shud be pretty cheaper than 4870 X2 and still be a good performing card, close to 4870 X2. and 1Gb shud be enuf and price around 350$ will be sweet.

Hrithan2020

In the zone

I think nvidia cud do better if they moves to GDDR4 or 5. Even the 512 bit mem interface is struggling due to GDDR3. And next limitation is the 65 nm manufacturing technology.
they can solve many problems if they move to 55nm TSMC like lower power consumption, smaller die, more transister counts, better clocks, smaller cards and lower price. But still they are trying to fool around with same old DX 10.0 cards with 65nm and GDDR3.

IMO GDDR 5 would be implemented only on their next flagship card, which looking at the current situation would take only a year or so. And TSMC is going to shift to 40nm by Q1/Q2 2009,this time i think nvidia might be the first to jump to newer manuf. tech. if the recent trend continues. Also nvidia is likely to launch 55 nm version of gtx 2xx cards once their stocks are over.(which considering the huge volume of cards they manuf. to give to several AIB's would take at least 6 more months)

I wonder why ATI isnt releasing a card like HD 4850 X2? it shud be pretty cheaper than 4870 X2 and still be a good performing card, close to 4870 X2. and 1Gb shud be enuf and price around 350$ will be sweet.

It'd be really gr8. They wont be released so soon as they'll make 4870 at 300$ seem too pricey.(even if they cost 400-420$)

Last edited:

Actually, looking at the performance of HD4850, I am sure it can handle 1GB RAM alone all by itself...

Anyway, a HD4850X2 will be about 20K, so yes, it will be an awssome card to kick the 20K 9800GTX's a$$.

HD4870X2, if ever released, will only be done if there starts a high demand for GTX280.

I think benchmarks show that HD4850 CF beats GTX280.

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl

HD 4870 X2 is already gonna release soon, and i saw the 4850X2 too in some preview of the GPU, dun kow if itll see the market or not.

btw, 9800GX2 is still powerful than GTX 280 na? then why nvidia is not putting more money for 9800GX2 production?

HD 4870 X2 is already gonna release soon, and i saw the 4850X2 too in some preview of the GPU, dun kow if itll see the market or not.

btw, 9800GX2 is still powerful than GTX 280 na? then why nvidia is not putting more money for 9800GX2 production?
X2 cards have the issue of drawing a wee too much of power :lol:

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl

but lower than SLI or crossfire:lol:
4870X2 draws less power than 4870 crossfire.

OP
B

Blackfire

Journeyman

HD4870X2 is all set to launch in end of august or at starting of sep. with at price tag of $500+

toofan

Technomancer

Why there is a war of graphic cards. Don't you all think that this is useless. Why not to stick to one place and some organization sets a standards of graphic details and power in the games.
Game manufacturers should follow that standard. and we consumers would feel a great relief that I had bought a 4850 now and this is the limit and I am safe for next 15 or 20 years. Why do we need so much power.
If designers restrict the games it will help many many. That energy, time and money can be used somewhere else productive.
Gaming in not the only field left for development.
Same is with vista who needs it, if it increases our budget and resources to run it. same should be applicable to games.
so think and reply!

Hrithan2020

In the zone

We consumers would feel a great relief that I had bought a 4850 now and this is the limit and I am safe for next 15 or 20 years.That energy, time and money can be used somewhere else productive.

Are u seriously joking!! 15-20 yrs!! By then PC's as we know it would have become extinct!!!
U do realise that buying a 4850 means that u can play all games at med settings for at least 4-7 years ( considering that cross-platform games are quite common, and they are mostly restricted by the least common denominator ie. X360) at 720p resolution which is what is offered by these consoles for good-looking games(Am aware that PS3 support 1080p,X360 1080i, but most games wont run well at that resolution in consoles).

Why do we need so much power.
If designers restrict the games it will help many many.
Gaming (read not Casual) is not meant for the masses.Gaming in not the only field left for development.
Same is with vista who needs it, if it increases our budget and resources to run it. same should be applicable to games.

Gaming is not for the masses (read not Casual Gaming). If u want ur 4850 to last 15-20 yrs(seriously doubt whether it wont get damaged for that long), just play games like "Penny Arcade", "Mystery Case Files" , "BigFish Games"..
And do you seriously think those ppl who don't want to get a 7k graphics card, would buy a few games worth more than that..
It's mostly the ones who invest a bit of h/w, who'd buy games..

U do have a point though, in 2-4 yrs time 8600gt would not even meet the minimum requirements of sm games. So, what designers should try to do is to make a game as scalable as possible (meaning min req. something like 6600gt), but with enough eye-candy to please the one's who spend a small nation's GDP on a PC..:p

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl

have a look at these guys
*www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=14525
finally some manus has started custom cooler and oced versions of 4850 and 4870...with 1GB and 2Gb versions
it wud be sweet if a dual slot custom cooled 4850 is available for around 11k.

toofan

Technomancer

So, what designers should try to do is to make a game as scalable as possible (meaning min req. something like 6600gt), but with enough eye-candy to please the one's who spend a small nation's GDP on a PC.
@Hariharn : Ya that could be a solution. But these increasing graphics and power need is not good for Bio friendly PCs.

nvidia

-----ATi-----

@toofan_nainital:
You cant stop the development of games. And game developers always keep the hardware available and then design the game. So whatever game is developed, it will be developed only for the current generation of hardware(except for Crysis:D).

toofan

Technomancer

Crysis would be played decently around 3008 AD????:D

This will be interesting to know that Does Crysis won any award in any category?
If not then whats the use of that eye candy which only a few percent of Gamers experienced?

If yes then it would surely not of game play, story etc etc.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.

@toofan: if developers increase the graphics then automatically the resource power will
increase...more RAM,more pixels etc :D

3008AD...this is bcoz of moore's law...:rolleyes:

Hrithan2020

In the zone

@Hariharn : Ya that could be a solution. But these increasing graphics and power need is not good for Bio friendly PCs.

Lemme ask u, who buys Biofriendly PCs.For those ppl, u can get the 2 W PC,otherwise to find the balance b/w a good performer (PC) and a Biofriendly one would be quite hard.

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl

@toofan_nainital
todays gaming PC,s not as bio friendly as the 2W PC, but is much power efficient than those gaming rigs existed 2 years ago..
that means gaming PC falls in its own category and they too are slowly moving to bio friendly in there own respect. those bio friendly PCs falls in all different category, ie low power PCs.
nothin can substitute for pure performance. and performance too cannot substitute power efficiency.
so let the everyday work CP go bio friendly, while let the gaming rigs falls in the higher category.
after all, even in US, cycles can't fully substitute for Ferrari's even if Ferrari's need 100 ounces of fuel for 1M:D

kuki_295

Journeyman

Well i suggested 4850 instead of GTX 260 to one of my clan mate and he showed me this,
*media.bestofmicro.com/P/G/114964/original/avg-framerate3.png

so.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom