The Nexus 7 Thread (Rooting and Dual Booting with Ubuntu Touch in 10 Steps)

kool

Cyborg Agent
I once made a guide to take backup of the data on your Android device. Refer it here: *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/mobiles-tablets/164382-guide-backing-up-your-android-data.html

You can use Titanium backup app too to take the backups of apps and its data, but that does require root.
Rooting alone doesn't delete any data. Unlocking bootloader does that. But if you use Nexus Root Toolkit to root, it will advise to Unlock the bootloader first. You can try to root without unlocking, and in case that fails just take the backup of Apps and some of its settings before you unlock the bootloader.

How to ROOT w/o unlocking boot loader? And what is d diff b/w ROOT with unlocking BL and w/o unlocking BL?

aaruni

The Linux Guy
How to ROOT w/o unlocking boot loader? And what is d diff b/w ROOT with unlocking BL and w/o unlocking BL?

I think if you just download the SuperSU app, it will prompt you for rooting, and should do it for you. Just check though, I've never tried it before unlocking bootloader.

Unlocking bootloader will allow you to install custom ROMs instead of your stock OS. Unlocking the bootloader *will* erase the device.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin

Can't answer all of the questions for you. But I can give links to refer:
Difference between rooting and unlocking bootloader - xda-developers
Android Power User: What are Unlocking and Rooting? | Pocketnow

Try rooting by using the toolkit provided by Wug.
[Toolkit] Wug's Nexus Root Toolkit v1.8.2 [U… | Android Forums: Nexus 5 discussions on a broad range of topics ranging from troubleshooting to accessories. Get your questions answered here! - XDA Developers | xda-developers
Nexus Root Toolkit v1.8.2 | WugFresh

And from my previous post:
"...But if you use Nexus Root Toolkit to root, it will advise to Unlock the bootloader first. You can try to root without unlocking, and in case that fails just take the backup of Apps and some of its settings before you unlock the bootloader."

kool

Cyborg Agent
Thanks man, finally i rooted my N7 using WUG application. :) and i made backup using HELIUM apps , now i gonna restore all apk data soon.

Now i need ur help, plz list some good ROM for N7, there are lots of ROM on XDA, but no idea which one is good? And if flash new rom... Will my data and files again get erased???

Last edited:

kool

Cyborg Agent
[MENTION=77264]Vyom[/MENTION].

1. How to install THEMER app on N7 ?
2. How to access PEN DRIVE's files on N7 ? I've installed STICKMOUNT, but can only access/view/edit in ES Explorer. Is there any shortcut to view files directly from homescreen ?
3. Can i use this Micro USB to HDMI to connect N7 to my TV ? MHL Micro USB TO Hdmi TV Adapter Cable Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 Note 2 N7100 | eBay

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
[MENTION=77264]Vyom[/MENTION].

1. How to install THEMER app on N7 ?
2. How to access PEN DRIVE's files on N7 ? I've installed STICKMOUNT, but can only access/view/edit in ES Explorer. Is there any shortcut to view files directly from homescreen ?
3. Can i use this Micro USB to HDMI to connect N7 to my TV ? MHL Micro USB TO Hdmi TV Adapter Cable Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 Note 2 N7100 | eBay

1. Just like you install any other app. From play store. If the play store doesn't allow installing the app to your tablet, then you have two options to get its APK:
--> a. Install on your Android mobile, and then extract the apk from a file manager like Astro.
--> b. Use sites like this to get the apk: APK Downloader [Latest] Download Directly | Chrome Extension v2.1.2 (Evozi Official) (It wont allow downloading paid apps, so its not p!racy.)

2. You can only access files from a file manager like ES Explorer or Astro. What I have done is added the shortcut to /sdcard/usbStorage/sda1 (where PD is mounted) on the front screen of Astro. So its easier for me to access the contents of a PD.

*i.minus.com/ibukfoQlyVLUpQ.png

3. After doing some research reached to following conclusions:

--> a. Any MHL Micro USB to HDMI Tv Adapter Cable won't work on Nexus 7 2012. Since our device isn't MHL (Mobile High-Definition Link) compatible. It's not something a software can fix. Its a hardware which is missing. So that's the end of it.

--> b. Then Nexus Q was announced in 2012. It promised media streaming capabilities. But the product was was later shelved by Google since it costed $299 and which apparently had too few features for the price. End of the road there too.

--> c. Suddenly a developer named, "mariotaku" appeared and claimed he have created an app "dlmirror" which can mirror the screen of Nexus 7 to DisplayLink devices. He even showed a video demo which raised the hopes of many. But the dev eventually never replied with the actual app and the thread died. So much for the hopes.

--> d. Then came Miracast! A *big* burst of hope that enlightened everybody who realized we still have hope to connect our beloved devices to our TVs. Miracast was simple. You just needed an Android device with version more than 4.2 or later and a Miracast compatible TV or dongle. But as it was later found out, its not that simple. (Of course).
You would need a software patch that enables Miracast on your device. The thread listed in last of this post from a dev, lists the code which will enabled Miracast on your device.

I don't have the time and resources to test that yet. But you may want to go through the thread and post your experience and findings.

Read more here:
MHL and Nexus Q: Nexus 7 tv out? - xda-developers
Dev mariotaku: [DEV] dlmirror - Nexus 7 video output - xda-developers
Mirroring Android and Miracast: Miracast: Everything to know about mirroring Android - CNET
Somebody enabled Miracast for Nexus 7: [MOD] Somebody enabled Miracast for Nexus 7 - xda-developers
Resulted thread: [ROM][MOD][purely AOSP 4.4.2_r1]Miracast, Come back to Nexus 7 2012![15/12/13] - xda-developers

I am using mutirom for dual booting into stock kk and smoothrom v5.3. I really like smoothrom because its really butter smooth. I have tried almost every good rom available in xda but i really like smoothrom and i keep installing different roms on my nexus 7. Do try multirom is really good for testing new roms.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
^ Yes. MultiRom is good. I used it to try Ubuntu Touch on me Nexus 7. Which sadly is now discontinued for our device.

Gollum

Collector
1. Just like you install any other app. From play store. If the play store doesn't allow installing the app to your tablet, then you have two options to get its APK:
--> a. Install on your Android mobile, and then extract the apk from a file manager like Astro.
--> b. Use sites like this to get the apk: APK Downloader [Latest] Download Directly | Chrome Extension v2.1.2 (Evozi Official) (It wont allow downloading paid apps, so its not p!racy.)

2. You can only access files from a file manager like ES Explorer or Astro. What I have done is added the shortcut to /sdcard/usbStorage/sda1 (where PD is mounted) on the front screen of Astro. So its easier for me to access the contents of a PD.

So you mean to say that I can connect an OTG cable and the tablet will be able to read from pen Drive?

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
So you mean to say that I can connect an OTG cable and the tablet will be able to read from pen Drive?

Of course not. You haven't the first post, or even the post of "kool" which I replied, have you? :/
You need to root the device and install StickMount from Google play for it to work.

kool

Cyborg Agent

Bro , You have to ROOT your N7 to access PD, usb keyboard, usb mouse. Use WUG method (Link in post #106) :)

- - - Updated - - -

I already installed THEMER on N7 from extracting from my XOLO, but i am not getting any theme option, it saying your device not supported.

I can access only startup 4 demo page. How u r using themer on N7? Do i have to change its DPI / RESOLUTION using XPOSED framework ?

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I already installed THEMER on N7 from extracting from my XOLO, but i am not getting any theme option, it saying your device not supported.

I can access only startup 4 demo page. How u r using themer on N7? Do i have to change its DPI / RESOLUTION using XPOSED framework ?

I am not using Themer. In fact I rarely change the wallpaper apart from the stock pics which came. Maybe you can try similar apps on the play store. There should be tons of them. You can try changing dpi/resolution through Xposed framework. But I think that's not an optimal way to work a themer app.

Top Bottom