The Nexus 7 Thread (Rooting and Dual Booting with Ubuntu Touch in 10 Steps)

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
still using hotspot drains phones battery a lot and using dongle in some cases i.e. travelling is very handy. oh and hv to mntion find it hrd to believe a techie like u not aware of hotspot fn. :D

I was aware. But lets just say I completely ignored that I had a Legendary phone in my hands (The P500) later when I bought N7. It completely blinded me.

Sometimes, you forget the potential you have and you only discover it when you really need it. In my case, the absence of a broadband connection made me uncomfortable enough to discover additional ways to connect to Internet.

sandynator

Cyborg Agent
Can we sideload APK file in Nexus 7 2012? Its useful in downloading large apps like Asphalt 8

Also can any OTG cable work with Nexus 7 2012? Is there any specific pin requirement?

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Can we sideload APK file in Nexus 7 2012? Its useful in downloading large apps like Asphalt 8

Also can any OTG cable work with Nexus 7 2012? Is there any specific pin requirement?

yes we can sideload APK
and not any OTG cable is compatible with Nexus 7

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin

You can do everything on Nexus. Things you might not even imagined. :p (no it won't make you coffee).

I don't know about pin requirement, but I bought a Rs 50 OTG cable from a local market.. and it worked.

kool

Cyborg Agent
WOW !! awesome thread !

hey vyom... i m so confused....... plz solve my problem here:::

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/mobiles-tablets/180920-nexus-7-2012-vs-dell-venue-7-2014-price-rs-11k.html

kool

Cyborg Agent
Answered. *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/mobiles-t...ll-venue-7-2014-price-rs-11k.html#post2062432

Finally i ordered N7-2012 VERSION -32GB for Rs.11k :) :) (no special discount this time)

Bro, now list some cheap & best accessories for Nexus7 like flipcover or silicon case, screen guard.

Do they send any screen guard ?

------------------
One more question is ROOTING, Custom ROM , TWRP method different for 16GB and 32GB ???? What if it will brick while rooting ?

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Finally i ordered N7-2012 VERSION -32GB for Rs.11k :) :) (no special discount this time)
Bro, now list some cheap & best accessories for Nexus7 like flipcover or silicon case, screen guard.
Do they send any screen guard ?
------------------
One more question is ROOTING, Custom ROM , TWRP method different for 16GB and 32GB ???? What if it will brick while rooting ?

Congrats. No they don't send a screen guard. There is no reason why the steps to root, installing custom roms should be any different on a 32 GB model.

The best accessories for N7 are the dock and covers on the official site: Play.google.com But they are tad costly. (Like this sleeve, Wireless Charger and Nexus 7 Folio). [Also a super cool dock which is now not available on play store. Its on ebay though.]

So currently I am just using this cheap case bought from ebay: *www.ebay.in/itm/271319577298?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
Apart from it I bought a Rs 50 OTG cable from local market and which worked with my N7.

Now, the items on following list are created from various sources including a FB group on N7, and I haven't own any of them.

And I am not using any protection cover. But *thinking* to get one this: Screen Protectors for Mobile Devices | Gadgetshieldz India

Also this Slimport cable can be used to connect your N7 with any monitor via HDMI:
SlimPort Micro USB To HDMI Cable Adapter For Google Nexus 4 5 Nexus 7 2013

I really like this case too: Amzer Case for Google Nexus 7 / Asus Nexus 7 - Amzer: Flipkart.com

And this one looks ultra geeky: :p
Google Nexus 7 2013 Tablet Cruzerlite Bugdroid Case for ASUS Nexus 7 FHD Tablet | eBay

In not so distant future I am planning to buy myself a small Keyboard. But there are variety of small USB keyboards available for N7 in regards to their connecting method: USB Keyboard Bluetooth keyboard and also NFC keyboard. I read an article on it and will share if I find it again. But the summary of the article was that NFC keyboard is to be used for short distances and are costly, USB keyboard can be battery draining and restricting, and Bluetooth keyboard seemed to be the best. So might be getting a Bluetooth keyboard. Research in this area is pending. :p
PS: I wont buy this cheap keyboard: Ambrane Keyboard Case for 7-inch Tablets - Ambrane: Flipkart.com. Pretty bad reviews.

There you go. Do research more.. and share if you find any other accessory. ;)

Last edited:

kool

Cyborg Agent
^^ wow, awesome research !

What about this HDMI cable ? ;) Micro HDMI to HDMI Cable Coil Cord V1.4 1080p for ASUS Eee Pad Google Nexus 7 | eBay

ts_bloke

Right off the assembly line
Hi Vyom,

I am a VFM product buyer just as you are. I was looking for a tablet for video calling using Skype and Hangout. Kindly refer:
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/buying-advice/180876-minimum-hardware-requirements-video-calling.html

Could you test the N7 for 30-45 min of continuous video chat, and give us a feedback ? Thanks

tsb

kool

Cyborg Agent
@vyom,

Today Flipkart Guy gonna deliver my N7-32GB, i m so excited. :) I've few query.

1. 30 days replacement policy by flipkart, so tell me how to test everything so it wont give any trouble after 1 month. (i.e: Battery, screen, connectivity etc)
  2. I want to ROOT also, but your method is very confusing and i've to download lots of file. Is there any way to ROOT easily with just click & click ?
  3. Is there any chance of BRICKING during rooting ?
  4. If i install CWM/TWRP recovery, will i able to install future updates by Google ?
  5. I think bundled OS v4.1 and after receiving it asks for 4.3 update, so when to root ? I mean , can i root after JB.4.3 update ?

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
1. 30 days replacement policy by flipkart, so tell me how to test everything so it wont give any trouble after 1 month. (i.e: Battery, screen, connectivity etc)

Just check everything. :p

2. I want to ROOT also, but your method is very confusing and i've to download lots of file. Is there any way to ROOT easily with just click & click ?

I have chosen the hard way (that's how you learn stuff) but you can use the Wug's Nexus Root Toolkit as mentioned in this thread: [Toolkit] Wug's Nexus Root Toolkit v1.8.0 [Updated 12/26/13]: Nexus 5 Thread - xda-developers.

3. Is there any chance of BRICKING during rooting ?

Nopes. Consider it like a "feature" which you are unlocking, rather than "hacking" your way into it like you do with other Android devices.

4. If i install CWM/TWRP recovery, will i able to install future updates by Google ?

This is important. Cause removing stock recovery cripples the auto updates by Google. Since the OTA update relies on Stock recovery you will need to revert to stock in case you want to update with OTA. BUT, as mentioned by $hadow, you will receive an update notification as soon you start your device and connect to Internet. After which you can do all you want.

5. I think bundled OS v4.1 and after receiving it asks for 4.3 update, so when to root ? I mean , can i root after JB.4.3 update ?

You can root anytime. Also you can un-root anytime.

kool

Cyborg Agent
Just check everything. :p

I have chosen the hard way (that's how you learn stuff) but you can use the Wug's Nexus Root Toolkit as mentioned in this thread: [Toolkit] Wug's Nexus Root Toolkit v1.8.0 [Updated 12/26/13]: Nexus 5 Thread - xda-developers.

Nopes. Consider it like a "feature" which you are unlocking, rather than "hacking" your way into it like you do with other Android devices.

This is important. Cause removing stock recovery cripples the auto updates by Google. Since the OTA update relies on Stock recovery you will need to revert to stock in case you want to update with OTA. BUT, as mentioned by $hadow, you will receive an update notification as soon you start your device and connect to Internet. After which you can do all you want.

You can root anytime. Also you can un-root anytime.

bro, got my TAB, its awesome !! :) I will root after 1 week.

By d way, i have copied all video, ebooks , songs from my XOLO q800 using SUPERBEAM. :)

Facing these prob:
1) No mass storage while connecting to my PC, only MTP/PTP option shhowing . Why ?
2) Where is developer option? I have updated Kitkat 4.4. How i will root w/o developer option (USB debugging) ?

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
bro, got my TAB, its awesome !! :) I will root after 1 week.

By d way, i have copied all video, ebooks , songs from my XOLO q800 using SUPERBEAM. :)

Facing these prob:
1) No mass storage while connecting to my PC, only MTP/PTP option shhowing . Why ?
2) Where is developer option? I have updated Kitkat 4.4. How i will root w/o developer option (USB debugging) ?

Congrats.
1. Yes there is no Mass storage option in N7. Only MTP. And before you shout about it, its because of perfectly good reason. Read this: Impromptu Q&A Session With Android Engineer Dan Morrill Brings To Light Reasons Behind Galaxy Nexus' Lack Of USB Mass Storage
Bottomline is that its because there is no external card support on N7.

2. Google have hidden "Developer settings" from direct access.
Goto settings. Tap the Built number a few times. :)

Bonus: Also tap Version number for a few times. ;)

kool

Cyborg Agent
If I root later , will my data like music , pics will deleted???? Why there is only one partition ?

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
How I gonna transfer music/video like Breaking Bad TV series to nexus?

MTP. Besides the fact that there is no way for a device with no external storage to have a connection in USB mode, there is also one advantage to transfer files using MTP.
It doesn't unmount your storage on phone. So you can copy the files via PC and still use your N7 normally.

If I root later , will my data like music , pics will deleted???? Why there is only one partition ?

Rooting doesn't delete Anything on your device. There is only one partition because there is no external storage like card support.

kool

Cyborg Agent
Thanks vyom !! Sorry if m troubling u by asking silly question. Actually this is my 1st Android Tab. ☺

Try "Wondereshare Mobile Go" to transfer all files to N7 from pc/lappy . :)

--

Any good games for N7 ?

Top Bottom