the most user friendly distro

Status
Not open for further replies.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
ssk_the_gr8 said:
guys here r my requirements plz suggest 1 or maybe 2 distros...dont suggest 4-5...& i would luv it if the distro had a beautiful GUI like vista :D but its not necessary....& the distro should be a single cd installation cuz i dont have a dvd writer :(
sabayon. It has some really nice artwork and has been the official distro for beryl.

praka123 said:
but U must understand that these distros carrying non-free items are actually may be in risk of some patent suits,legal problems like mp3 have etc.
Not in India.
 
Last edited:

zyberboy

dá ûnrêäl Kiñg
@~Phenom~
Ubuntu has no root premission by default,u need to type 'Sudo mv' command even to install a downloaded theme,
is the same for ubuntu studio and ultimate edn ??
 

praka123

left this forum longback
same with all ubuntu's.though u can set root login and root passwd also easily.
in other distros(Debian,Suse etc) without default "sudo" u need to give either root passwd or from terminal login as "su" root passwd.which one is easy :rolleyes::rolleyes:
 

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Why would anyone want to do such a stupid thing. There's only one distro which follows such stupid ways and that is linspire.
 

vish786

"The Gentleman"
ssk_the_gr8 said:
ok guyz..i installed mandrake 8 on one of my old pcs & hated it..:D

so which linux distro is most user friendly....like windows :D

it should be easy to configure peripherals like modems..etc & easy installation of softwares( without the use of command lines)

im new to linux...so plz help me out..i've used ubuntu live cd..it was good..& ive heard abt linuxmint being very noob friendly...

ps-i think windows has spoilt me:p

their is one more requirement it should automount the hard discs....or it should be easy to mount my sata hard discs
tat is the mistake u made mandrake 8 is great grand father now :D... y didnt u install the latest mandriva... things have been made still easier in the latest versions... or u can go for Ubuntu also Gnome based :)
 

vish786

"The Gentleman"
praka123 said:
afaik it uses yum,right?
and i feel pclinux is giving a good competition for Ubuntu regarding popularity.just check http://distrowatch.com results :( `coz i love ubuntu and GNOME

those rating keep changing always... and dont much bother about the ratings few sites give... they are always wrong :(. and pclinux is not yet that popular also... Fedora, Mandriva, OpenSuse, Ubuntu are most famous among the common users ;).
 

zyberboy

dá ûnrêäl Kiñg
mehulved said:
Why would anyone want to do such a stupid thing. There's only one distro which follows such stupid ways and that is linspire.
Because i dont want to become a "su" in my own computer.
 

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Get Ubuntu. Uber friendliness and enough power. About Vista GUI, you wont believe how deep Linux goes with GUI goodies. Install and let us know so that we can help you set your eye candy up.
 
OP
ssk_the_gr8

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
someone just plz answer my question by naming one distro...plz dont go offtopic:D

QwertyManiac said:
Get Ubuntu. Uber friendliness and enough power. About Vista GUI, you wont believe how deep Linux goes with GUI goodies. Install and let us know so that we can help you set your eye candy up.

have got ubunto 6.06 live cd ...used it & liked it...most probably i am goin to install ubuntu 7.04.(how much has it improved compared to 6.06) ..i'm just waitin for some more suggestons before i decide.
 
Last edited:

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Ubuntu 7.04 is way more easier than 6.06. It has automatic codecs installation, a restricted drivers manager thats as easy as ticking a checkbox and other things that makes the need of a terminal almost obsolete for silly tasks like multimedia and graphics.

What graphic card do you own?
 
OP
ssk_the_gr8

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
QwertyManiac said:
Ubuntu 7.04 is way more easier than 6.06. It has automatic codecs installation, a restricted drivers manager thats as easy as ticking a checkbox and other things that makes the need of a terminal almost obsolete for silly tasks like multimedia and graphics.

What graphic card do you own?

ati x200 & ati x700 (on my 2nd pc) ubuntu 6.06 detected x200.. what abt new software installations do i needto use the console or their is an installation process like all windows software
 

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
ssk_the_gr8 said:
ati x200 & ati x700 (on my 2nd pc) ubuntu 6.06 detected x200.. what abt new software installations do i needto use the console or their is an installation process like all windows software

You can use Applications > Add/Remove Programs to access tons of software neatly categorized and documented. All you'd need is a running internet access. And then its much more easier than Windows since you dont have to press Next Next crap ..
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom