The Last Of Us

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
*i.imgur.com/OywgLwl.jpg

The most anticipated game on PS3 is all set to launch on june 14th. After their uncharted trilogy, very few people ( so called critics) had some negativity towards naughty dog.
Be it weird camera angles or use of scripted sequence, the reasons although being dumb, existed nevertheless. Some also complained their games to be extremely fast paced unnecessarily.

Naughty Dog although riding on their success waves, listened to these critics opinions and maybe, thought of building something completely diverse from their usual set pieces.
Enter "The Last Of Us". Out of nowhere, they came up with the idea of a completely new IP with teasers and hype to start with. Many claimed that this would be too similar with uncharted, sharing same lines. All those speculations are finally put to a stop.

When some gameplay videos and a demo appeared, people and reviewers were surprised to see a striking change. Although the plot is set around a post apocalyptic world, the gameplay was expected to move at higher tempo. But its completely the opposite. It tests the player and gives time to think and analyze the surroundings at a much slower tempo than uncharted. The story seems to be flawless including the setting. Hardly has a flaw to fix.

Coming to the visuals part, many were stunned at what they are looking at. " Is this a PS3 or a PS4 title" was the first and foremost reaction of many reviewers.
At its 7th year in the industry, the PS3 is already setting huge bars for its next gen brother. This game proves what the cell architecture is all about and what the PS3 as a whole unit is all about. Everything, from the textures, shadows and dynamic lighting appears next gen and marvelously rendered. Character models are exquisitely detailed and show a high level of emotion. Flora and fauna fit in great and add to that some brilliant water effects and simulation that arguably surpasses Crysis 3. :shock: Naughty Dog definitely knows how to use the cell processor efficiently, even with such low memory. They quickly are becoming the best developers out there.

Enough of me talking. Lets get to some links to back my comments :

Naughty Dog's Grim Masterpiece - The Last of Us - PlayStation 3 - www.GameInformer.com

The Last of Us for PlayStation 3 Reviews - Metacritic

The Last of Us: The Kotaku Review

The Last Of Us review | Edge Online

The Last of Us review • Reviews • PlayStation 3 • Eurogamer.net

IGN Asia Pacific

The Last of Us Review for PlayStation 3 (PS3) - Cheat Code Central

[YOUTUBE]ZEs33aWkX2Q[/YOUTUBE]

PlayStation 3 isn’t only well-known for its number of exclusive games, but for the sheer number of quality exclusives. That’s what makes The Last of Us even more impressive, because not only does it join the ranks of Uncharted, Killzone, God of War, Infamous and more, but it bests them all. In short, Naughty Dog has crafted a game that impresses in virtually every way. The Last of Us is a true feat.

Its unrivaled presentation in particular sets the bar even higher than the Uncharted trilogy already did, and its writing, voice acting and layered gameplay combine to create what is very easily the game to beat for Game of the Year 2013.

Most of these gave it a perfect score and the game has truly lived up to its hype. The game not only is violent in nature, but seems to be having one of the strongest decisions ever in a plot. It uses naughty dog's own engine and full open-gl based api's. It proves that direct x is nothing but Microsoft's monopoly as the only api choice. Its also a testament to the age old proverb, i had been hearing ever since i got my hands on the original PlayStation, which holds true even today:

"Never Underestimate The Power Of PlayStation"

All hail Naughty Dog :whistleblower::whistleblower::whistleblower::whistleblower::whistleblower::whistleblower::toast:

Last edited:

darkv0id

Journeyman
Re: The Last Of Us (All Hail Naughty Dog)

Wow! 10/10s across the board. Game holds 95 on Metacritic as of now. And I thought that Infinite would take this this years GOTY hands down.

Strangely, my favorite website has only given it 7.5/10. But that's to be expected, can't really please everyone.

And GTA V is yet to come....

OP
vickybat

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
@ TDF's Batman : there is already a thread for this

That thread was about the "ambush trailer". I think its great to start fresh for a title of this caliber. :)

Someone forgot to tell Sony the current gen is supposed to be over with

Sony is like getting praised big time for their first party development efforts. They are not only creating hype for their next gen console through amazing software line up, but also supporting current gen PS3 with gem of titles like "The Last Of Us" and "Gran Turismo 6". They kind of deserve all the praise.

NVIDIAGeek

Long Live Gojira!
It's times like these that I think it's worth owning a PS3. Yesterday, I almost bought it just for this and RDR (and GT5) but my other me told me that "you'd be paying like 24k for 2 games, lolumad?" and I came back empty-handed. And also there's PS4. Heard rumors that it's gonna get launched at 400$ or ~25k. So I thought patience would be great.

Why the f*** can't there be a game like this on PC?

Last edited:

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
It's times like these that I think it's worth owning a PS3. Yesterday, I almost bought it just for this and RDR (and GT5) but my other me told me that "you'd be paying like 24k for 2 games, lolumad?" and I came back empty-handed. And also there's PS4. Heard rumors that it's gonna get launched at 400$ or ~25k. So I thought patience would be great.

Why the f*** can't there be a game like this on PC?

Having said that, you will lose the games like UC, GOW series, HR, MGS 4 etc if you are not getting a ps3.

BTW, I bought my ps3 just a few weeks ago and i have completed both UC1 and 2. Playing UC3 now. Done with HR too. I must say it was worth the money. Im sure of getting GTA V also on PS3. so untill the PS3 game support continues, i will stick onto this console and then move onto PS4 :p

OP
vickybat

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ Yeah that's a good decision. :)

Btw there are other upcoming big titles too like "Beyond Two Souls", "Gran Turismo 6" and "The Last Guardian".

Talk about last guardian, if one has played titles like "ICO" and "Shadow Of The Colossus" , they can understand what Fumito Ueda titles bring into the picture.
Words cannot describe the masterpieces the guy creates. PS3 will undoubtedly cross the 100 million mark if titles like these keep coming.

@NVIDIAGeek

Buddy my advice for you is to get a used PS3 for 10k or thereabouts. You can also buy used PS3 games and also exchange titles between friends.
The huge roster of exclusives the PS3 has, simply has to be experienced by one. You can jump to a PS4 once its stable in the market with some good titles. :)

rock2702

Padawan
@NVIDIAGeek

Buddy my advice for you is to get a used PS3 for 10k or thereabouts. You can also buy used PS3 games and also exchange titles between friends.
The huge roster of exclusives the PS3 has, simply has to be experienced by one. You can jump to a PS4 once its stable in the market with some good titles. :)

Which used model of ps3 should be bought for playing the exclusives?

OP
vickybat

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Which used model of ps3 should be bought for playing the exclusives?

The ps3 slim ( not the current one) will be the best. You can opt for any hard-drive config. The 320 gb should be the sweet spot or else, the 120gb will be just fine too.
Remember, you can always upgrade the hdd very easily. So just get the cheapest slim SKU. :)

The ps3 slim ( not the current one) will be the best. You can opt for any hard-drive config. The 320 gb should be the sweet spot or else, the 120gb will be just fine too.
Remember, you can always upgrade the hdd very easily. So just get the cheapest slim SKU. :)

Do you think the PS3 classics like RDR, UC 1, 2 and 3 and now Last of us will be playable on the PS4? or will there be remakes of these games for PS4?

OP
vickybat

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Do you think the PS3 classics like RDR, UC 1, 2 and 3 and now Last of us will be playable on the PS4? or will there be remakes of these games for PS4?

Well you can't play physical or digital media that needs to be directly processed. PS4 is X86 while PS3 is PowerPC based. They are completely different in terms of instruction set support and thus no backward compatibility. Same goes for XBOX one too.

However, Sony plans to stream PS3 titles sometime in near future on PS4 using its cloud services ( GAIKAI acquisition). They will be streamed from cloud server and playable on PS4.
But one needs a very high BW internet connection, which means it won't take off in india that well. So its better to get hands on with a PS3 in order to play its games and upgrade later.

P.S - There might be remakes though. Several classic PS2 titles were remastered in HD for PS3. Same can happen with PS4.

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
Adding to that, we can only expect these titles to be remade but cant really guarantee anything of that sort for 2 reasons -
1) Cloud services promised for backward compatibility by Sony (which also means remaking a game isnt worth for the developers)
2) The existence of PS3 itself for a such a long period that Sony has captured the console markets in time and they dont have to promote their product with games of the past anymore (like the way they had to during PS2 ->PS3 transition when Xbox was going great guns) and eventually capture the market with both the features and the games.

NVIDIAGeek

Long Live Gojira!
@NVIDIAGeek

Well, buddy, if you don't mind whenever you get the chance, would you please post a link for the used PS3? I'll try my best to find one online but if you do please share it. And thanks for the advice. I never thought of it. :3

OP
vickybat

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Well, buddy, if you don't mind whenever you get the chance, would you please post a link for the used PS3? I'll try my best to find one online but if you do please share it. And thanks for the advice. I never thought of it. :3

Check your pm buddy. :)

Major Nelson congratulates Naughty Dog for The Last of Us

Polygon is Silencing the PlayStation Community

This isn't the first time. They did the same with another ps3 jrpg exclusive Ni-No-Kuni. There's another rumor that microsoft paid them to write negative reviews about The last of us.

According to polygon, the last of us has too much violence and thus gave it a 7.5/10. They had been criticized massively for unfair comments and a broken review.
The guy who wrote it, also has a dismal track record and illogical points.

darkv0id

Journeyman
My favourite game didn't receive the score I wanted. MUST BE A CONSPIRACY!!!!

Why is it sooo hard for people to believe that reviewers can have genuinely differing opinions about a game without being paid off? I know the the review isn't Polygon's finest work, but he does make some valid points, specifically regarding the AI. If you actually read the review, it sounds more like a 8-8.5/10 game, so yeah the scoring doesn't feel right.

Of course they will be criticised for not adhering to the norm; don't you remember how all hell broke loose when IGN gave Uncharted 2 9.5 instead of 10. Fanboys are fanboys irrespective of platform; if you don't give them what they want to hear, they will tear you apart. So yeah, maybe they should have picked a different reviewer, someone more comfortable with violence, but the review does give a few valid criticisms. Isn't that the point of reviews, to provide criticism?

And if you still think that Polygon are paid off by MS/ have a bias against PS3, maybe this will provide some perspective (via NeoGAF):

hey_it's_that_dog said:
Okay folks, because I hate myself I ran the numbers.

I looked through the reviews for all PS3 and 360 exclusives and compared the Metacritic to the Polygon reviews. I don't think I missed any but it's possible.

PS3:
Last of Us
Deadly Premonition DC
God of War Ascension
Sly Cooper Thieves in Time
LBP Karting
Ni No Kuni
Ratchet & Clank Full Frontal Assault
Starhawk
Guacamelee

Metacritic PS3 Average: 78.11
Polygon PS3 Average: 68.89
Difference: -9.22
Conclusion: Polygon rates PS3 exclusives lower than the average critic by 9.22 points on a 100 point scale.

360:
Gears of War Judgment
Halo 4
Witcher 2
Dance Central 3
Forza Horizon
Fable Journey
Steel Battalion
Kinect Star Wars

Metacritic 360 Average: 72.38
Polygon 360 Average: 61.88
Difference: -10.5
Conclusion: Polygon rates 360 games 10.5 points lower than the average critic on a 100 point scale.

Remove Kinect games from the equation and the Polygon 360 average is -8.5, which may indicate a slightly less negative bias toward 360 exclusives. However, this is based on only 4 scores, and that makes the estimated average a lot less precise. I would guess that a statistical test would reveal no significant difference between 8.5 and 9.2 based on this small number of observations.

Conclusion: Polygon scores both PS3 and 360 games lower than the Metacritic average. They score 360 games slightly lower, though probably not significantly so. In other words, NOT TEH BIAS.

Use this info however you see fit.

Top Bottom