The key to success : Education or Skills

Education or Skills ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
For me it's Skills, education does helps in refining what u already got. but education doesn't makes you what you are. Once the education of school college or university ends, you are on your own & its the skills which makes u something in life.

I see IIT & MBAs doing nothing....cos they don't have skills,....yet i see polytecnique students doing big cos they have skills.

What do u believe in?

S_P

Right off the assembly line
For me both, tell me when would you get better job ? big companies always ask for good resumes i.e good qualification no matter how bad you are in your field but if u scored good marks then they will appoint you rather than the boy who knows much better than you but having no qualification. because he/she wont attend the interviews just because of this qualification, because i have seen so many peoples working in a small shops or small garages but they have good knowledge of the field they are working in rather than the person holding a degree certificate, i am not saying that this is for all , i know there are much better engineers too.

so for me education + skills = success ...!! Cheers..

Last edited:

djmykey

Let the music play.....
I guess its both, coz if you dont have the skills and only the education (like me) u r looked down upon. And if u have the skills but no education then they dont wanna hear from you. Unless u have someone in the company who will give u a good recommendation. Ok and just in case you get recruited, you wont get the post according to the work you do. I mean they do take you, but u dont get the designation that you deserve. So all in all its not worth a shot if u know everything. U shud get education & certificates.

n2casey

Super Hero - Super Powers
For me both r equally needed or education : skills :: 40% : 60%.
Mods plz provide an option for both in poll.

Aberforth

The Internationalist
Education is important to give you a finer outlok of life but the kind of knowledge based exam centric education in India even upto Ph.D level does little in the name of education. Even at IIT and management institutes despite all claims, creativity and ideas are given little credance by most professors and rote learning for 'exam prepapration' and 'scrores' are preferred. Mere skills don't help much as growth is hampered, education equips us with the tools for further learning and enhancing of skills. What we need is a revamping of cirricula to ensure a skill and reality based education instead of the assembly line one of current. I know it would take a lot of difficulty happening if not impossible, we have bureaucracy and resistence to change in all levels.

gx_saurav said:
I see IIT & MBAs doing nothing....cos they don't have skills,....yet i see polytecnique students doing big cos they have skills.

They do help. IIT, the portal of science contributes big way to finance and banking companies. MBA teach you a lot how to be a good wage earner employee of some big corporates with the blood sucking work and big pay packages. *sarcastic*

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
IITians don't have 'skills'? :sigh: They're one of the most brilliant people I have ever met.

In a lot of cases, education gives you skills, which are required to be successful. Education will give you all skills necessary to excel in life, provided the place where you study is good enough. Any IIT or IIM graduate or for that matter any person from a top 100 engineering istitute and a top 50 management institute will have the skills to be successful in life.

Instead of 'skills', I would say the attitude towards work is more important to be successful. Are you willing to work hard? Are you open to criticism? Do you have a clear conscience?

I'll tell you a true story of two people. One passed out from IIM-A, and even know, is brilliant. The kind of work he can do is just amazing.

Then there was this other guy. He passed out from probably the worst university in India. He had lesser skills than what the IIM guy had.

The IIM grad got a huge first salary, while the other guy got nothing.

Today, the IIM grad is sitting at home unemployed, whereas the other guy is one of the most known persons in international banking circles.

The reason for this? The other guy worked hard, improved his skills, was open to criticism, and did not take the short cut by lying; while the IIM grad was arrogant, he had bad relations with his subordinates, and wasn't open to criticizm.

So, it's more a question of aptitude towards work rather than skills.

shashank4u

Youngling
they r interlinked ..
u ve to be educated if want to be
specialized in some field..
skill comes with knowledge and knowledge comes with education..:D

Aberforth

The Internationalist
You cannot always connect education with skills though, at least in India. I have come across master degree holders from top universities with little employable skills. According to a recent newspaper report too..a large number of engineers in India are unemployable.

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
good, so far skills are exceling. So there are indeed more believeres in skills then education. Will reply to this thread soon, busy right now

P.S. : Mods plz update the Poll

praka123

left this forum longback
where is your BE degree?F*** off,never come in my way

you need a degree for proving ur skills! that is the hard reality.i am saying this wr.to IT industry;for other also it may be true.if u r a guy who's got only 8 more arrears to clear for BE,got the talent-then also u r chances are locked.bcoz the employer for sure will put a roadblock on your options-BE/MCA graduates needed.and u simply cant approach isnt it?.

I think those who are talented in say graphics work etc...should come foreward to form a freelancer club.
I hope,In west Degree is not a stumbling block for ur job,i suppose :~

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
Aberforth said:
You cannot always connect education with skills though, at least in India. I have come across master degree holders from top universities with little employable skills. According to a recent newspaper report too..a large number of engineers in India are unemployable.

Very true. Sourabh on this forum studies in the city's best engineering college. Ask him about some of the students studying at VJTI. :p

It's also true in the case of other countries, too. For example, UK has very good universities. However, universities outside of the top 30 in the UK are bad.

Dhirubhai Ambani had neither education nor skill. All he had was the resolve to work hard and a good eye.

It's not between education and skills. It's rather a matter of aptitude toward work.

freebird

Debian Rocks!
someone here in the forum who's proof of skills are the key to success.:)
most prolly self-employed...:rolleyes:

Aberforth

The Internationalist
mail2and said:
Ask him about some students studying at VJTI. :p

Sure I would, I need the link to his profile. You can send it through PM if you want.

I had classmates who are extremely arrogant and proud of being where they are. Kind of elitism without the substance or personality to back it up, most of them are simply nerds and got placed in companies who care for only their ability to work hard and crunch numbers.

I considered going for software for my masters but changed mind halfway after I came across experiences of a few classmates placed in a software company. It was good I took a year off to look around and as a break, I consider having made the best decision to be where I am, now.

mail2and said:
It's also true in the case of other countries, too. For example, UK has very good universities. However, universities outside of the top 30 in the UK are bad.

UK has some of the best universities in the world like UoL, Leeds, Oxford, Cambridge, Edinburg, Glasgow and other 5 or 4 1/2 star rated ones and they are better than Indian ones several times over for their focus on research, industry collaboration, teaching environment and best of all - opportunities. We need such quality control from independent bodies in India instead of relying on brand names and top placement salaries alone which focus skin deep issues. How many Indian universities are in top world rankings, even the IITs? :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom