Education or Skills ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
Aberforth said:
UK has some of the best universities in the world like UoL, Leeds, Oxford, Cambridge, Edinburg, Glasgow and other 5 or 4 1/2 star rated ones and they are better than Indian ones several times over for their focus on research, industry collaboration, teaching environment and best of all - opportunities. (

Actually, in the case of B-schools, Indian schools are right up there with the best. I would take world rankings with a grain of salt. They have indicators like diversity of students, alumni effectiveness, work experience etc.

I have admits from Cranfield, Cass, Lancaster and Edinburgh for MSc Finance. According to The Economist, Cranfield is the 19th best B-school in the world, with the rest of the three being in the top 50.

However, the director of MSc programs at a top UK univ himself agreed that the grads from IIMs are much better than that of any UK business school, with the exception of London Business School. Oxford(Said), Cambridge(Judge) and Cranfield might have fancy names, but their MBA grads are not better than those from the IIMs.

As for opportunities, the top 20 schools here get 100% placement(almost). In the UK, getting a job after MBA with less work experience is almost next to impossible.

Research wise the UK univs are better, as they charge a huge amount as fees. They do get grants from the government, but they charge huge amounts from international students to make up a large part of their requirements.

But, all in all, I would settle for a top 10 Indian b-school admit than say Cranfield, Cass or even LSE.

Aberforth

The Internationalist
Well mail2and, There is one thing which counts is international exposure and interaction between people of so many races which is not much in India, even at IIMs. IIMs are better because of their extreme competition which makes only the best of the best get in. Compare the competition to that of INSEAD, LSB and you get the picture. Its peanuts to get into them (with a year or more of work experience or break), only problems for Indians comes is astronomical fees. It is more because of the students than IIMs themselves..

Same goes for IITs they are more of teaching colleges than real tech. insititues. Research is concentrated on a few top professors and except Spic Macay and other exhibs, little credance is given to creativity. Learn to ride bicycle by reading books, more like. Compare that to UoL's Imperial College, Glasgow or Edinburgh and you get the picture. No wonder we see investment bankers and software coders instead of scientists from IITs.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
for me both are InterConnected.

With Education you can improve your Skill:wink:

i'm an Mechanical Engineer, i'm was able to troubleshoot many of the Mecahnical related problems (very basic ones:D) in Engines, GearBox... when i was a 1st year student (now thats Skill), but after completing Engineering, i'm able to troubleshoot (that is pin point the problem & resolve it) quickly & Professionally :wink: :D:D:D (this is thanks to the Education :wink: )

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
Aberforth said:
No wonder we see investment bankers and software coders instead of scientists from IITs.

I completely agree with you on this.

The recent trend is even more disturbing. A lot of IITians are ending up in Canary Wharf and on Wall Steet as front office traders for the BB firms, while they should be doing research.

But, I guess it is because research doesn't pay that much in India. ISRO has a pay scale of 10000-200-13000 per month, I think! Compare that to £5000 per month that an IITian can get within an year in an investment bank as an analyst. And then there are golden handshake bonuses. :p

Aberforth

The Internationalist
mail2and said:
But, I guess it is because research doesn't pay that much in India. ISRO has a pay scale of 10000-200-13000 per month, I think! Compare that to £5000 per month that an IITian can get within an year in an investment bank as an analyst. And then there are golden handshake bonuses. :p

Compare that with the Rs. 10000 - 12000 a research assistant gets at an IIT or the Rs. 25000 for IIT professors (after masters and Ph.Ds with 9+ GPAs) with 20 years of experience get and I often think I can't blame their lack of humour. Well we're getting off topic and I think we can continue discussing in PMs if required. Don't want IITs suing me for defamation.

mediator

Technomancer
To excel in something u need to learn the "how" of it! The first question is always "how"! After that its just ur natural thinking that takes over it and tries to explore different ways in it! It is called "refinement" and then the person is called "talented"!

hailgautam

Youngling
Both skill and education is required. without education you will not get a chance to show your skill and then you loose on the opportunities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom