The Hackintosh Thread

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
To all the users who are asking the questions if it is worth it. Trust me, it is NOT. All the commands that you'll use to hack it & install it, will serve you no purpose in your life. Instead you can go & learn Linux or FreeBSD. It has loads of headaches & if you're a very patient person then you should try it. If you really want to experience Mac OS X then get your self a Mac Mini It is available for Rs. 38k and it is worth it. It makes an awesome home computer & HTPC.

Nailed! :)

OP
hellknight

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
@MetalheadGautham

I had install iLilfe 09 way back in 2009 when I was venturing into this territory. All the apps worked except iWeb. I can't say anything about iLife 11. If it needs hardware acceleration via GPU & if the drivers aren't installed properly then it may not work.

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
^^^^or me ilife 11 has worked with nVidia 9400Gm chipset driver from Laptop (Medion)where i used nvinject kexts from kext.com
But you are right more often than not ilife isnt stable.
Frankly i got my self a macbook pro after years of hackintoshing around since days of tiger. On PC It worked great until there was update around the corner. Every update sometimes eventually becomes necessary and this does kill the hackintosh.
However If you have patience certain update are available in form of DMG from third party vendors though not the latest.

Anyways ran Lion Developer on Hackintosh with these configuration:
Intel Core 2 Duo or better i.e. Core i3, i5, i7 (no Core Duo or AMD right now).
2GB RAM (4GB recommended)

For those with Intel integrated Grahpic chipset anything above 950Gma doesnt work with Hardware Acceleration. Though the resolution can be set. But without Quartz Extreme and Core Image Macosx is not worth.

OP
hellknight

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
Yeah.. It is very easy. Infact, here's how you should do it.

First, install Mac OS X. Then install Windows 7 on another drive. After that install EasyBCD & add Mac as an option.

If you want to install Linux, then install it, GRUB will automatically detect EasyBCD.

Guys question here. I've grown kind of tiered of installing OSes that refuse to accept existence of another OS in my system. So I've gone pure VM mode these days. Anybody tried installing Mac OSX in a virtual machine ? If so what are the results ? I think it should be theoretically easier because the bootloader and firmware can be made to mimic any hardware.

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
There are virtual machine images floating around on Internet. ;)
No need to *install* it. Just unzip and fire up virtual machine. :p

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Is Apple OS cheaper than Windows 7?
also new OS Lion?

Yes its quite a bit lot cheaper :D

Windows 7 HP- Rs.6590
Windows 7 Home Premium, Buy Windows 7 Home Premium Online in India

OSX LION- $29.99
Apple - OS X Lion - The world’s most advanced OS.

and Google conversion of the same- 29.99 USD in INR - Google Search

Tech&ME

Banned
^^

Well in India every high end computer or electronic parts becomes costly due to the import duties. See the Cars which are very moderately priced in the US etc and are so costly here in India if imported...

sygeek

Technomancer
4. Many big sites such as Lifehacker have articles about Hackintosh. So can we.
No offence but lifehacker even has articles concerning how and where to download pirated shows (as RSS feeds) daily. And they don't even mention it indirectly..

^^ 1800bucks is a decent price, comparing to outrageously priced Win 7. Will try that. BTW What's that 50-50 chance means? Can't it install just like Windows?
It's the download-only version, $29. In-Store downloads at retail Apple Stores or a USB flash drive containing the OS costs $69. But I'd say it's still cheaper Windows. Microsoft should look into this.

Nope. DMCA is NOT applicable in India so patches are not illegal. You are also free to install OSX in your PC if you own a valid license of Mac OS X, which doesn't cost much and if the PC is Apple-labelled a term which is ambiguous, as an interpretation can mean sticking Apple stickers on a PC. They just called it "Apple-LABELLED" in the EULA.
What applies in India then? If DMCA isn't applicable to India, then isn't jailbreaking/other stuff still illegal?

On other notes, using a hackintosh still VIOLATES apples EULA, but technically it cannot be said illegal. But nowadays creating a hackintosh (by an average user) usually involves certain methods that CAN be said illegal.

OP
hellknight

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
@sysgeek.. Your queries, answered :-

1. Lifehacker is a third party site. What people do there, is their business.
3. Here, read this.. Best copyright policies in the world? Try India . It is a detailed description of India's copyright laws.

sygeek

Technomancer
@sysgeek.. Your queries, answered :-

1. Lifehacker is a third party site. What people do there, is their business.
3. Here, read this.. Best copyright policies in the world? Try India . It is a detailed description of India's copyright laws.
1. Well, it was in response to "So can we". Well, we're different from such sites, they even use inappropriate language (not that it is "BAD") but we don't ;)

2. Thanks for the link.

Top Bottom